RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Connecticut Sun exec Chris Sienko to resign

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RI_Sun_Fan

PostPosted: 08/15/16 8:03 am    ::: Connecticut Sun exec Chris Sienko to resign Reply Reply with quote

I didn't see this posted in another thread:

Chris Sienko announced today(8/12) he will step down from his position as vice president, general manager and COO of the Connecticut Sun at the end of September.

source: http://www.hoopfeed.com/content/2016/08/12/connecticut-sun-exec-chris-sienko-to-resign-effective-end-of-september/

http://sun.wnba.com/news/sienko-step-away-sun/

blaase22

PostPosted: 08/15/16 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Won't be missed.
That dumb trade on draft day was the final nail in the coffin!

sigur3

PostPosted: 08/15/16 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Won't be missed.
That dumb trade on draft day was the final nail in the coffin!

Yeah, I didn't get that one either, although I do think Jones is going to turn into a good player. The Bone trade was very good for them and they obviously stole Bentley but apart from that, he hasn't made very many good moves.

RI_Sun_Fan

PostPosted: 08/15/16 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought his worst deal was trading Katie Douglas to the Fever for Tamika Whitmore. While I understand that Katie 'needed' to go to Indiana... I didn't like getting a Max contract player the Sun paid off in the end.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/15/16 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Katie Douglas forced her way out of Connecticut. If she hadn't been traded, she wasn't going to play, so I don't think we can blame Sienko for this.

PostPosted: 08/15/16 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could it have been done without taking Tamika Whitmore's contract. A Max deal they were stuck with for years and wound up paying her off.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/15/16 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Katie Douglas forced her way out of Connecticut. If she hadn't been traded, she wasn't going to play, so I don't think we can blame Sienko for this.

CON has set the record for players forcing themselves out. I believe even Whalen was a nicely timed low key force out. They have been spread out over several coaches. So who's fault is it if this is not a place where players (to quote Bone) "feel comfortable"?

Is Pokey completely blameless for Fowles wanting to leave? I guess some people seem to think so.

I don't think you can just say "Well, it's Connecticut". On the college level, Connecticut is a very desirable destination, despite the college season being held over the winter.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 08/15/16 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RI_Sun_Fan wrote:
I thought his worst deal was trading Katie Douglas to the Fever for Tamika Whitmore. While I understand that Katie 'needed' to go to Indiana... I didn't like getting a Max contract player the Sun paid off in the end.

I forgot that Tamika played for the Sun, also forgot how her career ended.

PostPosted: 08/15/16 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ClayK wrote:

CON has set the record for players forcing themselves out. I believe even Whalen was a nicely timed low key force out. They have been spread out over several coaches. So who's fault is it if this is not a place where players (to quote Bone) "feel comfortable"?

Is Pokey completely blameless for Fowles wanting to leave? I guess some people seem to think so.

I don't think you can just say "Well, it's Connecticut". On the college level, Connecticut is a very desirable destination, despite the college season being held over the winter.

Being a professional basketball player for the Connecticut Sun is very different than being a student-athlete at the University of Connecticut.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/16/16 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i think it's something to be said about him that players just don't want to stay and play for the Sun long term. Looking back even 3 years ago, Kelly Faris is the only Sun player left from the 2013 roster.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 08/16/16 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
i think it's something to be said about him that players just don't want to stay and play for the Sun long term. Looking back even 3 years ago, Kelly Faris is the only Sun player left from the 2013 roster.

That's been a consistent theme in Connecticut from day one. The whole core of the 2004-05 team that made back-to-back finals either demanded a trade or quit the WNBA altogether. McWilliams, Whalen, Sales, Douglas, and Dydek were the starters in 2005 and every one of them either "retired" prematurely or was traded away at their own request.

PostPosted: 08/16/16 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

There has never been an indication that Douglas said she wouldn't play if they didn't trade her to Indiana, a la Tina Charles. She did request the trade, but in fact she played for a season in CT after requesting she be traded. This was documented at the time and would cast serious doubt on that threat occurring.

You may remember, she finished her career back in Connecticut.

Unless you have actual evidence that hasn't come out in the almost 10 years since the trade, you might want to not spread disparaging rumors.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 08/16/16 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ClayK wrote:

There has never been an indication that Douglas said she wouldn't play if they didn't trade her to Indiana, a la Tina Charles. She did request the trade, but in fact she played for a season in CT after requesting she be traded. This was documented at the time and would cast serious doubt on that threat occurring.

You may remember, she finished her career back in Connecticut.

Unless you have actual evidence that hasn't come out in the almost 10 years since the trade, you might want to not spread disparaging rumors.

She did ask to be traded to Indiana, but Matty is right that she never said I won't play. Charles on the other hand....

Shades

PostPosted: 08/16/16 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

The Fever sent forward Tamika Whitmore, the 12th pick in the 2008 WNBA draft, and the rights to former Duke guard Jessica Foley to the Sun.

The trade came at Douglas' request.

"I wanted to get back home to hopefully finish out my career," Douglas said in a conference call with reporters.

"This was done only if we felt we could get a fair trade," Connecticut coach Mike Thibault said. "When you've got a player with one foot in another city and another here, it's hard to have a total commitment."

Quote:
This is the second consecutive year that Connecticut has made a trade at an All-Star's request. The Sun dealt center-forward Taj McWilliams-Franklin to the Los Angeles Sparks last February.

http://www.thehour.com/sports/article/Sun-grants-request-for-trade-by-Douglas-8279547.php

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK

PostPosted: 08/16/16 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I stand corrected. But it's pretty clear Douglas wanted out, and pretty badly, so again, I don't know if you can criticize Sienko too much for this deal.

PostPosted: 08/16/16 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also, he recently lost 2015's MIP Kelsey Bone due to a trade demand. So the only thing left from the 2014 Tina Charles trade is Alyssa Thomas.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 08/16/16 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Also, he recently lost 2015's MIP Kelsey Bone due to a trade demand. So the only thing left from the 2014 Tina Charles trade is Alyssa Thomas.

They have Alyssa Thomas, Rachel Banham, Courtney Williams & the rights to Jillian Allyene to show for the Tina Charles trade.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/16/16 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
toad455 wrote:

They have Alyssa Thomas, Rachel Banham, Courtney Williams & the rights to Jillian Allyene to show for the Tina Charles trade.

Has a more depressing sentence ever been uttered?

sigur3

PostPosted: 08/16/16 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kelsey Bone really isn't that good anyway, so...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: