RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Olympics General Commentary
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 08/13/16 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if the US should go to the soccer model for Olympic basketball (under-23 players + 3 older "guest" players).

(now with spelling variations)
Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/13/16 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I wonder if the US should go to the soccer model for Olympic basketball (under-23 players + 3 older "guest" players).

Those are the rules for everyone in soccer, though. If the US imposed it on just themselves in basketball, the first time it resulted in less than gold there'd be vociferous calls for them to take the best team available.

PostPosted: 08/13/16 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SB Nation says the boatel is likely being paid for by Cisco, rather than taken out of the general heap of USAB money crowd sourced from Joe Smith and Jane Jones.
Quote:
The ship is reportedly being paid for by a "Multinational corporation," which is reportedly computer network company Cisco, which sponsors both USA Basketball and the International Olympic Committee.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2016/8/3/12368698/usa-basketball-olympics-rio-village-cruise-ship

miller40

PostPosted: 08/14/16 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It has just been confirmed Ryan Lochte and three other US swimmers were robbed at gunpoint by people posing as armed police.

Quote:
We got pulled over, in the taxi, and these guys came out with a badge, a police badge, no lights, no nothing just a police badge and they pulled us over, Lochte said. They pulled out their guns, they told the other swimmers to get down on the ground they got down on the ground. I refused, I was like we didnt do anything wrong, so Im not getting down on the ground.

And then the guy pulled out his gun, he cocked it, put it to my forehead and he said, Get down, and I put my hands up, I was like whatever. He took our money, he took my wallet he left my cell phone, he left my credentials.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/15/sports/olympics/ryan-lochte-and-three-teammates-robbed-at-gunpoint.html?_r=0

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/14/16 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
It has just been confirmed Ryan Lochte and three other US swimmers were robbed at gunpoint by people posing as armed police.

Quote:
We got pulled over, in the taxi, and these guys came out with a badge, a police badge, no lights, no nothing just a police badge and they pulled us over, Lochte said. They pulled out their guns, they told the other swimmers to get down on the ground they got down on the ground. I refused, I was like we didnt do anything wrong, so Im not getting down on the ground.

And then the guy pulled out his gun, he cocked it, put it to my forehead and he said, Get down, and I put my hands up, I was like whatever. He took our money, he took my wallet he left my cell phone, he left my credentials.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/15/sports/olympics/ryan-lochte-and-three-teammates-robbed-at-gunpoint.html?_r=0

And this:

". . . on the night of the opening ceremony, the chief of security was mugged at knife-point. Two coaches for Australias rowing team were attacked and robbed in the Ipanema neighborhood, while some Olympians were robbed of belongings in the athletes village during a fire drill. Multiple bullets have landed in the equestrian venue, and a bus carrying members of the news media was attacked, its windows shattered."

Thank Jehoshaphat that USAB had the foresight to imprison our basketball players on a tugboat.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/14/16 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Men's 100M.

Bolt's second fifty is just unbelievable. As everyone else briefly settles in racing for the finish, he hits the Nitrous switch and just blows past the field.

It's got to be frustrating to race against him, get a great start, actually be leading at the halfway mark, and watch him simply run past you. And there's not a thing you can do about it.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 08/14/16 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

If they have to be bribed to go they shouldnt be there in the first place. Bring collegiate or other amateur teams.

It's 2016. A team of our collegiate players wouldn't even qualify for the Olympics.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
justintyme

PostPosted: 08/14/16 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
justintyme wrote:

If they have to be bribed to go they shouldnt be there in the first place. Bring collegiate or other amateur teams.

It's 2016. A team of our collegiate players wouldn't even qualify for the Olympics.

Then they don't qualify....

PostPosted: 08/14/16 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Then the women can get the good cabins Wink

PostPosted: 08/14/16 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The unexpectedly gigantic track event of the day was the demolition of Michael Johnson's 17-year old world record of 43.18 in the 400 meter run, which most experts thought wouldn't be broken for another decade. No one had come within .17 seconds of Johnson's record during all those 19 years. Yet a somewhat unknown (to casual fans) runner from South Africa, Wayde van Niekerk, who is coached by a 74-year old woman, smashed the record by .15 seconds, registering an astonishing 43.03.

The men's 400 meter race ranks with the women's 10,000 meter race as the two most impressive track & field events in the games so far.

Bolt's third gold medal win in the 100 meters was an historic achievement, perhaps never to be duplicated, but the race itself was not an impressive time for him (9.81).
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/14/16 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All these records being smashed seems totally legit to me. Everyone else agree?

PostPosted: 08/14/16 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We Finally Know Why The Olympic Diving Pool Turned Green

Quote:
According to the New York Times, somebody accidentally added 160 liters of hydrogen peroxide on Aug. 5 to the pool used for diving, which neutralized the chlorine and caused it to turn green. Basically, eliminating the chlorine allowed for the growth of organic compounds, including what mightve been algae.

PostPosted: 08/14/16 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

What would make them not legit?

- Amanda Gorman
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/15/16 1:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Banned substances is what I'm getting at. I'm very cynical about these amazing feats these days. (Which is a pity, because I'm sure some of them are legit and deserve praise). Any time a long-standing record suddenly gets broken by a large amount I can't help being especially suspicious.

PostPosted: 08/15/16 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
justintyme wrote:

So we should use collegiate players while everyone else uses professionals? Come on..

PostPosted: 08/15/16 9:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
justintyme wrote:

So we should use collegiate players while everyone else uses professionals? Come on..

We did that for decades, because of the IOC's bizarre definition of amateur.

PostPosted: 08/15/16 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
justintyme wrote:

We should use the best players available out of the pool of players that want to be there without the extra perks. Just like every other country.

Would it mean that a Gold Medal is less of a sure thing? Absolutely. But I don't see that as exactly a bad thing. That would also make winning one a bigger deal to the players and would entice more to want to be there.

PostPosted: 08/15/16 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
justintyme wrote:

We should use the best players available out of the pool of players that want to be there without the extra perks. Just like every other country.

Would it mean that a Gold Medal is less of a sure thing? Absolutely. But I don't see that as exactly a bad thing. That would also make winning one a bigger deal to the players and would entice more to want to be there.

I think your idea that these guys don't want to be there, or that they are only there for the perks, or wouldn't be there if the perks didn't exist is unfounded.

They were offered the perks. They accepted them. There is nothing wrong with that.

PostPosted: 08/15/16 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
justintyme wrote:

I think your idea that these guys don't want to be there, or that they are only there for the perks, or wouldn't be there if the perks didn't exist is unfounded.

They were offered the perks. They accepted them. There is nothing wrong with that.

Now I am confused.

If there is no need for the perks, then why offer them? Get rid of them, they are a waste of money and sets them apart and above every other athlete at those games.

The reason we went down this rabbit hole is because you wrote:

"I think it's more of a reason to keep NBA Players from declining. Look, the Olympics are not the end all be all of the NBA Players sport."

I was just saying that if that is the case, let them decline. Why are US basketball players able to have something that no other player from no other country gets to have? Why do we offer them this? Why do they get to be "special" when there is nothing inherently special about them. Yet they are treated like pampered millionaires. When they show up to the Olympics, they can live like everyone else, imo. Be at the Olympics, not just visiting it.

PostPosted: 08/15/16 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Banned substances is what I'm getting at. I'm very cynical about these amazing feats these days. (Which is a pity, because I'm sure some of them are legit and deserve praise). Any time a long-standing record suddenly gets broken by a large amount I can't help being especially suspicious.

yeah, I feel that way too. I would suspect there is chemistry going on and perhaps new performance enhancers being created that aren't banned ... yet. Most of the individual events are certainly no longer about 'ordinary' people with special talent.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/15/16 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone have a favorite olympics site to get all the info in an easy format? Especially schedule & results. I find myself bopping around to multiple sites trying to find whatever I'm looking for and wasting a lot of time having to flip thru multiple pages. For instance, I would like to go to sports - name of sport - and see all the results to date in that sport. This seems like a reasonable approach, but thus far haven't found a site that lets me do it. It feels like I have to excavate thru a lot of shit just to find basic information.

- Amanda Gorman
miller40

PostPosted: 08/15/16 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

yeah, I feel that way too. I would suspect there is chemistry going on and perhaps new performance enhancers being created that aren't banned ... yet. Most of the individual events are certainly no longer about 'ordinary' people with special talent.

There were some interviews with Michael Johnson and he actually addressed this very thing. He said it's sad it's gotten to the point where people automatically question athletes who break records and assume they are on PEDs rather than praising and celebrating their achievements. He suggested that's the fault of the governing bodies (IOC, USTAF, etc) and there needs to be a public acknowledgment of previous failures in regards to doping and doping punishment, and then they need to move forward by making it clear any athlete who has been found to be doping can not compete in the Olympics/other competitions.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/15/16 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Does anyone have a favorite olympics site to get all the info in an easy format? Especially schedule & results. I find myself bopping around to multiple sites trying to find whatever I'm looking for and wasting a lot of time having to flip thru multiple pages. For instance, I would like to go to sports - name of sport - and see all the results to date in that sport. This seems like a reasonable approach, but thus far haven't found a site that lets me do it. It feels like I have to excavate thru a lot of shit just to find basic information.
I would say it's far from perfect for stuff like that (and for scheduling you'd obviously have to adapt for time zones), but I use the BBC Sport site at http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/

PostPosted: 08/15/16 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
miller40 wrote:

Quote:

And this:

". . . on the night of the opening ceremony, the chief of security was mugged at knife-point. Two coaches for Australias rowing team were attacked and robbed in the Ipanema neighborhood, while some Olympians were robbed of belongings in the athletes village during a fire drill. Multiple bullets have landed in the equestrian venue, and a bus carrying members of the news media was attacked, its windows shattered."

Thank Jehoshaphat that USAB had the foresight to imprison our basketball players on a tugboat.

Well at least no bombing or coaches family members murdered like in Atlanta and Beijing.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/15/16 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
justintyme wrote:

Now I am confused.

If there is no need for the perks, then why offer them? Get rid of them, they are a waste of money and sets them apart and above every other athlete at those games.

The reason we went down this rabbit hole is because you wrote:

"I think it's more of a reason to keep NBA Players from declining. Look, the Olympics are not the end all be all of the NBA Players sport."

I was just saying that if that is the case, let them decline. Why are US basketball players able to have something that no other player from no other country gets to have? Why do we offer them this? Why do they get to be "special" when there is nothing inherently special about them. Yet they are treated like pampered millionaires. When they show up to the Olympics, they can live like everyone else, imo. Be at the Olympics, not just visiting it.

We went down this rabbit hole because people have been bitching about the WNBA and NBA players staying on this boat the entire Olympics.

My honest feeling, these olympic athletes should all be staying at places like the boatel, instead of in college dorms that have sewage issues. (And it happens EVERY Olympics.)

My point was "this might be what USA basketball is thinking" ..I really don't know what goes into the thought process. I know people have mentioned security, I know people have mentioned that players like the perks (of course they do, any athlete would.) Who knows, but I think it's unfair to label them as spoiled pampered millionaires when all they did was accept something that was offered to them. (And heck, they might not even of had a choice. Carmelo Anthony outspokenly wanted to stay in the Olympic Village in 2004.)

I know a kid that breaks his leg in half while playing basketball for his country, and then still wants to be on the team, REALLY wants to be on the team. I know a guy who is back for his fourth time, really wants to be there. I know guys who played late in the playoffs (Durant, for example) and could use the time off to recover, must really want to be there.

Do they consider it their all time career accomplishment or goal? I honestly doubt it. (And maybe I'm wrong) But it's not fair to suggest they don't want to be there, or to suggest any negative attributed to their character because they accepted a better living space.

And I have a problem with the labeling. Since Kobe Bryant and Lebron James righted the Dream Team ship, the men have conducted themselves in an outstanding way, a way that certainly makes me proud of them. Certainly all being a part of the Olympic experience. Why does it matter that where they stay? The team has different issues that no other team has.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: