RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Swimming
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justintyme

PostPosted: 08/12/16 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:
justintyme wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
With 12 Gold Medals, Phelps has tied a 2168 year old Olympic Record. Leonidas of Rhodes set the record for first place finishes back in 152 BCE.

Is this just individual? I thought he had 22?

Also, I'm loving watching Phelps. And this isn't meant to be against him at all.

But the next time someone asks Diana Taurasi if USA dominance is bad for women's basketball, she should say she'll answer that question after it's asked to Michael Phelps.

Yes, Individual wins.

Who, What, Why: Who was Leonidas of Rhodes?

Bear in mind that records of the ancient Olympics are spotty at best

Actually the Greeks were obsessed with documentation of the events, so the historical record of the ancient olympics is very reliable. In fact, because it was so well documented, the four year segments are often used by historians to try and date other historical events that occurred in relation to them.

Reliable, but much of it is missing. Less than a quarter of ancient Olympic champions are known.

Gotcha, I see what you are saying. Yeah, there are many names that are lost to history. However, because of how important the Ancient Greeks considered their Olympics those who won at the level of Leonidas are known. If someone in those games had beat Leonidas' record it would have been noted in so many different places and in so many different ways that it would definitely be known today. I mean they built a statue dedicated to Leonidas in Rhodes and he basically became a demi god. So we can say with a near absolute degree of certainty that Phelps broke the record in truth.

PostPosted: 08/12/16 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dirado! What a finish to beat out the ever impressive Katinka Hosszu in the 200m backstroke.

PostPosted: 08/12/16 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And there are just no adjectives that completely describe the brilliance of Katie Ledecky in the pool.

Broke her own World Record by 2 seconds in the 800m freestyle. She beat the second place swimmer by 3/4 of a length of the pool.

PostPosted: 08/12/16 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are a lot of great stories surrounding US swimmers at these Olympics. But Anthony Ervin may have become my favorite,.

16 years ago at the 2000 Sydney Olympics he got a Gold Medal, tying Gary Hall Jr in the 50m free. Shortly thereafter he quit swimming with his one Olympic medal.

In 2012 at age 31 he attempted a comeback but finished 5th in London

Well tonight, at age 35, sixteen years after his only other medal, he went out and won the 50 free again. This time by himself

The oldest swimmer ever to win an Olympic gold medal, breaking Phelps's record.

His time in the 50 tonight was 0.58 faster than what he and Hall swam in 2000. He beat by one hundredth of a second Florent Manaudou who won the Gold in London and was the 2014 and 2015 World Champion and heavy favorite in Rio.

What a great story and great performance.

Even overshadowed Maya DiRado beating Katinka Hosszu to win gold in the 200-meter backstroke tonight. Interesting similarity to Ervin in that DiRado intends to walk away from competitive swimming after this, her one Olympics, as well.

Maybe DiRado will tire of management consulting with McKinsey in 10 or 12 years and come back and win another Gold too Laughing

BTW, Ervin is now both the youngest and the oldest gold medal winner in the the 50 free in Olympic history. ( Use that as a trivia question some time -"Name the youngest and oldest Olympic 50 free champs")

And he reportedly said tonight Im Gonna Try and Make the Tokyo Team, Of Course . At age 39? That would be something. I'd like to see an interview of what got him motivated again after his ten year hiatus.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/13/16 6:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This Is Why There Are So Many Ties In Swimming

http://regressing.deadspin.com/this-is-why-there-are-so-many-ties-in-swimming-1785234795

Quote:
Modern timing systems are capable of measuring down to the millionth of a secondso why doesnt FINA, the world swimming governing body, increase its timing precision by adding thousandths-of-seconds?

As it turns out, FINA used to. In 1972, Swedens Gunnar Larsson beat American Tim McKee in the 400m individual medley by 0.002 seconds. That finish led the governing body to eliminate timing by a significant digit. But why?

PostPosted: 08/13/16 6:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
And there are just no adjectives that completely describe the brilliance of Katie Ledecky in the pool.

Broke her own World Record by 2 seconds in the 800m freestyle. She beat the second place swimmer by 3/4 of a length of the pool.

PostPosted: 08/13/16 6:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The silver medalist in the 800M free finished 11 seconds behind Ledecky. That's almost as an impressive number as Ledecky setting the world record (again).

As for Maya DiRado, that woman's sheer exuberance during the Olympics has made me a fan. She's been outstanding.
justintyme

PostPosted: 08/13/16 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

http://regressing.deadspin.com/this-is-why-there-are-so-many-ties-in-swimming-1785234795

Quote:
Modern timing systems are capable of measuring down to the millionth of a secondso why doesnt FINA, the world swimming governing body, increase its timing precision by adding thousandths-of-seconds?

As it turns out, FINA used to. In 1972, Swedens Gunnar Larsson beat American Tim McKee in the 400m individual medley by 0.002 seconds. That finish led the governing body to eliminate timing by a significant digit. But why?

That was an excellent and informative article. And it completely makes sense as to why they do what they do.

PostPosted: 08/13/16 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

That was an excellent and informative article. And it completely makes sense as to why they do what they do.

I had been wondering why they didn't do thousandths of a second and thought I recalled them doing it in the past when I ran across the article.

PostPosted: 08/13/16 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know why, but every time Simone Manuel does well I can't help but tear up a little.

PostPosted: 08/15/16 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Michael Phelps were a country, he'd have the third most swimming gold medals in the history of the Olympics, behind only the USA and Australia.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: