RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

USA vs Canada - 8/12/16
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 08/08/16 2:49 pm    ::: USA vs Canada - 8/12/16 Reply Reply with quote

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - 2:30 PM ET
TV: NBCSN

Stream:
http://stream.nbcolympics.com/womens-basketball-prelims-game-23

Phone or tablet:
"NBC Sports" app

Live stats:
http://www.fiba.com/ls/#8093&BKW400B11

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 08/12/16 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
5thmantheme

PostPosted: 08/12/16 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My absolutely useless local newspaper, didn't have this game in it's otherwise decent Olympics schedule.
Evil or Very Mad

Hopefully Achonwa can bring it for this game.

justintyme

PostPosted: 08/12/16 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LOL AMD, Whalen as a defensive presence...

PostPosted: 08/12/16 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

I guess more so than Diana and Sue.. Laughing (Maybe not though. It's questionable.)

PostPosted: 08/12/16 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

18-16 USA end of Q1

CAN's points are scattered all over the place.
Griner and Charles with 6 pts ea

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/12/16 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
justintyme wrote:

I guess more so than Diana and Sue.. Laughing (Maybe not though. It's questionable.)

I think Whalen and Sue are both pretty bad defenders. Taurasi is even worse she is just lazy

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Shades

PostPosted: 08/12/16 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dang, now even Maya's getting her ankles broke.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/12/16 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whalen said the F word in the huddle. Must be Geno's influenece

justintyme

PostPosted: 08/12/16 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

/sigh

AMD, the difference between Whalen and Bird is that Bird is a better shooter (especially from 3) while Whalen is better getting to the rim. They both excel at getting teammates involved.

PostPosted: 08/12/16 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
/sigh

AMD, the difference between Whalen and Bird is that Bird is a better shooter (especially from 3) while Whalen is better getting to the rim. They both excel at getting teammates involved.

You would think that someone who gets paid to call WNBA games would...oh, never mind...

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/12/16 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's interesting that Geno gives the minutes to the younger talent during most of the other games, but when we needed her, Geno went to Catchings. I wonder if the limited minutes is a decision between the two of them.

PostPosted: 08/12/16 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
It's interesting that Geno gives the minutes to the younger talent during most of the other games, but when we needed her, Geno went to Catchings. I wonder if the limited minutes is a decision between the two of them.

I think that Catchings knows that at the SF and PF position all the players are better then her at this point. Maya, Angel at the 3 and then Charles, EDD and Stewart at the PF position. She is the ultimate teamplayer so she will do what is best for the team and accept whatever role Geno gives her and Geno knows that.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
SCook

PostPosted: 08/12/16 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The commentary doesn't bother me much. I'm guessing it's because I've been tunning it out because I'm too busy yelling at the players. 😂😂

PostPosted: 08/12/16 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also..that Bird to Taurasi to Bird to Maya sequence was beautiful in the second quarter.

PostPosted: 08/12/16 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope Taurasi continues this shooting when the WNBA starts. (And Griner continues to look as good as she has. I think she needs to spend a bootcamp with Geno every season.)

skill wise..I don't think there has been a better backcourt than Taurasi/Bird. I am forever grateful that I started watching Women's basketball when those two were at Uconn together.

PostPosted: 08/12/16 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
I hope Taurasi continues this shooting when the WNBA starts. (And Griner continues to look as good as she has. I think she needs to spend a bootcamp with Geno every season.)

skill wise..I don't think there has been a better backcourt than Taurasi/Bird. I am forever grateful that I started watching Women's basketball when those two were at Uconn together.

Playing together at UConn, overseas with Spartak Moscow and UMMC and team USA. They know each other so well that they can find each other with their eyes closed. Both great in the pick&roll but also 2 of the best shooters in the history of the wnba

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/12/16 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Playing together at UConn, overseas with Spartak Moscow and UMMC and team USA. They know each other so well that they can find each other with their eyes closed. Both great in the pick&roll but also 2 of the best shooters in the history of the wnba

Also two of the best passers, and two of the most intelligent players in WNBA history. And they had instant on court chemistry.

PostPosted: 08/12/16 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As good offensively as so many of Team USA are, defensively they struggle so much.

PostPosted: 08/12/16 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
As good offensively as so many of Team USA are, defensively they struggle so much.

Their defense has been fantastic this game.

Brit looks so much better than she has all season.

PostPosted: 08/12/16 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA bench is loving this!!! Laughing

Shades

PostPosted: 08/12/16 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The USA streak of 100 pts games is over. Crying or Very sad

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/12/16 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA played bad defense? They held Canada to 51 points on 33% shooting and got 20 turnovers.

Anyone who watches the USA team in these blowouts is forever barred from commenting on why UConn fans would watch an AAC game.

There were no announcers during the first half of the the videostream I was watching. The announcers appeared during the second half, and I found most of AMD's historical commentary interesting and not entirely inappropriate during a lopsided second half.
Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 08/12/16 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw some good defense from Canada too bad their offense wasnt as good.

norwester

PostPosted: 08/12/16 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
justintyme wrote:

Sue isn't a ball hawk. She doesn't play stellar one on one defense. But I think she gets underrated for her team and open court/fast break defense. She understands where everyone in a unit should be and how her actions can disrupt a team's flow (e.g. on a fast break).

PostPosted: 08/12/16 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
justintyme wrote:

Sue isn't a ball hawk. She doesn't play stellar one on one defense. But I think she gets underrated for her team and open court/fast break defense. She understands where everyone in a unit should be and how her actions can disrupt a team's flow (e.g. on a fast break).

Yeah her IQ comes into play in her teamdefense and transistion defense. USA like to switch a lot. So when she gets switched onto a post she looks right away if there is somebody bigger that can take over and directs that player to her man and she goes to the perimeter or corner

Her one on one defense is what makes her a bad defender. She doesnt have the footspeed to stay infront and thats why she gets beat a lot which she tries to solve by trying to poke the ball away from behind.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: