RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Preseason top 20

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 08/04/16 2:02 pm    ::: Preseason top 20 Reply Reply with quote

I remember the days when magazines let me write 4,000 words ... no more.

But in any event, who ya got?

PostPosted: 08/04/16 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ND
Baylor
SC

Haven't thought through which order yet, but these are some of the obvious suspects.

Phil

PostPosted: 08/04/16 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Both Washington and Oregon State caught lightning in a bottle last year. I won't pick either of them for final four but I think they deserve inclusion in top 20.

Oregon State has the tougher road they lose Hamlin and Wisner (as well as three others but those of the big losses). Sidney Weise will be the go to player this coming year, but the main reason for picking them is their coach.

Washington's big loss is Walton but Plum returns. Again I'm not calling for them to return to the final four but I see their strength is better than Oregon State so probably top 10 maybe even better.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/04/16 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven't sorted out my order yet but my top ten likely includes, in no particular order, UCLA, Louisville, Baylor, SCar, OhSt, MD, ND, uConn, Texas, Syracuse .

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/05/16 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aside from UConn, are there any non-Power 5 teams with a good chance to make the Sweet 16?

PostPosted: 08/05/16 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Aside from UConn, are there any non-Power 5 teams with a good chance to make the Sweet 16?

If you're looking for a long shot, what about South Dakota State? They have been pretty good the past 2 years, and I think they lost no starters from last year's team which almost made the Sweet 16, falling a game short by losing to Stanford 66-65. Stanford needed to come back in the 4th quarter to beat them.

Phil

PostPosted: 08/06/16 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To help think through the provcess, I'm providing a partial summary of gains and losses to ten teams. I picked the top ten from the last Coaches ranking.

Losses are seniors, or others if known. That means I might miss players leaving before their senior year, or I may miss that they were a senior but are returning with one year left.

Incoming includes freshman, transfers and players who were on roster last year but didn't play due to injury. Numbers are the ESPN Grade, if known.

Anyone who knows these teams well can help correct my errors.

Initial thoughts- OSU and Louisville have quite the changing of the guard.

Connecticut

Losses: Pulido, Tuck, Jefferson, Stewart.

Incoming/additions: Crystal Dangerfield, Molly Bent, Kyla Irwin 98,90,90

South Carolina
Losses:Khadijah Sessions, Tina Roy, Tiffany Mitchell, Asia Dozier, Sarah Imovbioh, Ja'Tarie White, Kaydra Duckett , Shay Colley
Incoming/additions:Allisha Gray (RS), Kaela Davis(RS), Tyasha Harris, Araion Bradshaw, Mikiah Harrigan, Victoria Patrick -,-, 97,97,95,90

Notre Dame

Losses:Madison Cable, Michaela Mabrey, Hannah Huffman
Incoming/additions:Ali Patberg (RS), Erin Boley, Jackie Young 98,98,98

Baylor

Losses:Chardonae Fuqua', Niya Johnson
Incoming/additions:Lauren Cox, Natalie Chou,Calveion Landrum 98,98,98

Maryland

Losses:Maryland - Lost Malina Howard, Brene Moseley, Chloe Pavlech, Tierney Pfirman
Incoming/additions:Destiny Slocum,Jenna Staiti,Kaila Charles, Blair Watson,Stephanie Jones,Sarah Myers 98,98,97,97,95,89

Oregon State
Losses:Samantha Siegner,Jamie Weisner, Jen'Von'Ta Hill, Deven Hunter, Ruth Hamblin
Incoming/additions:Mikayla Pivec, Madison Washington, Katharine Tudor, Janessa Thropay 97,94,93,90

Texas
Losses:Empress Davenport, Celina Rodrigo, Brady Sanders, Imani Boyette
Incoming/additions:Joyner Holmes, Alecia Sutton, Jada Underwood 98,98,90

Louisville

Losses:Erin DeGrate, Taja Cole, Dakota Weatherford, Sydney Brackemy (FYI, no seniors)

Incoming/additions:Ciera Johnson, Kylee Shook, Jazmine Jones, Sydney Zambrotta, Bionca Dunham, Jessica Laemmle, Taylor Johnson 98,98,96,95,90, -, -

Ohio State
Losses:Cait Craft, Ameryst Alston, Kaylan Pugh, Kalpana Beach, Lisa Blair
Incoming/additions:Linnae Harper, Sierra Calhoun, Stephanie Mavunga, Tori McCoy, Jensen Caretti, Kiara Lewis -,-,-,98,97, 97

Florida State
Losses:Adut Bulgak,Emiah Bingley, Shakena Richardson
Incoming/additions:Nicole Ekhomu, A'Tyanna Gaulden, Jasmine Walker, Nausia Woolfolk, Iho Lopez? 98,97,97,95,90

Last edited by Phil on 08/07/16 4:50 pm; edited 6 times in total
Phil

PostPosted: 08/06/16 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What's the status of FSU Iho Lopez? I see that she signed, but she isn't listed on the roster.

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 08/06/16 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

South Carolina - Lost Sarah Imovbioh, Ja'Tarie White SO TR, Kaydra Duckett JR TR, Shay Colley SO TR too

Baylor - Lost Niya Johnson

Maryland - Lost Malina Howard

Texas - Lost Imani Boyette

Louisville - Still has Briahanna Jackson - 5th Yr Senior; adds Taylor Johnson - 5th Yr Senior from Loyola

Ohio State - Lost Waterman? Cooper? Ekehlar? Waterman will be RS SO, Cooper a SR, Ekehlar a SO according to their 16-17 roster on their site

FSU - Shakena Richardson played at Seton Hall last season so she was already gone

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/06/16 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:

Ohio State
Losses Makayla Waterman, Shayla Cooper

News to me. Where are they?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/06/16 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duplicate

Phil

PostPosted: 08/07/16 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thefutureisbright wrote:

Ohio State - Lost Waterman? Cooper? Ekehlar? Waterman will be RS SO, Cooper a SR, Ekehlar a SO according to their 16-17 roster on their site

Not sure where I got that. Corrected, will check others as well.

Baylor - Lost Niya Johnson
Yes

Maryland - Lost Malina Howard
Yes

Texas - Lost Imani Boyette
Yes

Louisville - Still has Briahanna Jackson 5th Yr Senior; adds Taylor Johnson - 5th Yr Senior from Loyola
Yes, she changed numbers, no excuse but that threw me off. I missed Johson bcasue I was looking for freshman, no excuse, I just missed her.

FSU - Shakena Richardson played at Seton Hall last season so she was already gone

Serves me right for relying on Wikipedia, which I have now corrected.

SCGamecock

PostPosted: 08/10/16 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kaydra Duckett and Jatarie White are both rising Juniors, transferring after their sophomore year. Shay Colley is a rising sophomore, transferring during her freshman year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: