RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Overseas Updates 2016-2017
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
awhom111

PostPosted: 07/10/16 11:07 pm    ::: Overseas Updates 2016-2017 Reply Reply with quote

It's never too early to start the thread. As usual, it's the Korean League draft making early news:
http://www.womensbasketball247.com/2016/07/12-wnba-players-drafted-korean-league/

It is possible to re-sign players this year with raises in subsequent years, so taking chances on some younger players was expected.

Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 07/11/16 8:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How do they do that draft? It looks like they just don't pick anybody. Usually an agent will be in contacts with certain teams and then they strike a deal with a specific team. For Korea do they negotiate with the actual league and then they get a pool of players who have agreed to play in the league and then do the draft? Just find it weird because I can't think of any other league that has a draft like this.

PostPosted: 07/11/16 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
How do they do that draft? It looks like they just don't pick anybody. Usually an agent will be in contacts with certain teams and then they strike a deal with a specific team. For Korea do they negotiate with the actual league and then they get a pool of players who have agreed to play in the league and then do the draft? Just find it weird because I can't think of any other league that has a draft like this.

Foreign players apply to the league (123 for 12 spots this year not counting late withdrawals) and are subject to pick by any team. Only they and the Korean Men's league use this format. They and some other leagues do hold drafts of domestic players, but usually players are only subject to those drafts once, like leagues here. The men's draft had 500+ applicants for 20 spots and they will hold full tryouts in Las Vegas soon before the actual draft. Agents are actually barred from that draft and you have to sign the contract on the spot or lose your place. There were a couple of different news articles on last year's men's draft in English language media.

Both leagues can get away with this because of the amount and reliability of pay, which is the same for all foreign players in the women's league and based on draft position in the men's league. Since all of the teams are owned by large corporate entities, they want to maintain parity amongst themselves and also have league salary caps which obviously is not a feature of most other international leagues either. There are always suspicions of under the table pay and benefits though. The upper limit on pay prevents them from drawing out and out stars, but they generally get WNBA players.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/11/16 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Overseas performance often differs a lot from US production but if they're all being paid the same it seems bizarre that Bulgak went 9th. Even without knowing who the options were beyond the 12 drafted, why her over Hawkins/Howard/Achonwa?

PostPosted: 07/11/16 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is the post-draft picture:
https://scontent-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13620298_1054890931285132_2644679039498608766_n.png?oh=7fd43c52c77d0775050227c2dc272f6f&oe=5832CE02

Richyyy wrote:
Overseas performance often differs a lot from US production but if they're all being paid the same it seems bizarre that Bulgak went 9th. Even without knowing who the options were beyond the 12 drafted, why her over Hawkins/Howard/Achonwa?

Nobody said they were good at drafting. I look forward to Monique Currie winning the playing time split with Jonquel Jones as I predicted she would do to Markeisha Gatling last season. The other interesting split will be Stokes/Pierson.

I can sort of buy Bulgak over Achonwa for position reasons, although I think a traditional center might be good to complement Tuck. Howard makes no sense considering she's already played in the league and proven to be effective.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/12/16 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Weren't there more teams last season in Korea? I seem to remember 8 teams last year.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
przemoe

PostPosted: 07/13/16 1:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So if we started this already, then I'm pleased to say Renee Montgomery will show up in Gdynia jersey this season.

http://www.bigdynia.pl - Basket Gdynia
kool-aide

PostPosted: 07/13/16 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No Charde Houston in South Korea next season? Didn't she have a lot of success there the last couple of years? Did she retire?

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 07/13/16 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wish Kia Vaughn would go somewhere other than where she's been playing for the last few yrs. Go somewhere with more competition.

PostPosted: 07/13/16 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Str8_Butta wrote:
I wish Kia Vaughn would go somewhere other than where she's been playing for the last few yrs. Go somewhere with more competition.

i am not sure she will. She's been in Prague for couple of years now. She considered applying for Czech citizenship, I don't know if she has done that yet. I read it in an interview after the season ended here. I sure hope she stays Wink but really has not much of a competition in Czech league, just Euroleague...

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 07/13/16 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fanaticka wrote:
Str8_Butta wrote:

i am not sure she will. She's been in Prague for couple of years now. She considered applying for Czech citizenship, I don't know if she has done that yet. I read it in an interview after the season ended here. I sure hope she stays Wink but really has not much of a competition in Czech league, just Euroleague...

I love that she loves it there, and I do remember seeing a video about her becoming a Citizen. I just wish there were better competition in the League, for her progression.

PostPosted: 07/13/16 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kool-aide wrote:
No Charde Houston in South Korea next season? Didn't she have a lot of success there the last couple of years? Did she retire?

Her last season ended with an injury so if it was serious enough I could see it lasting past the start of the upcoming season, but I don't think anything was ever publicized widely about it.

awhom111

PostPosted: 07/20/16 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where is our resident Kendall Kenyon fan?

She signed to play in Puerto Rico recently.

That league will be covered here when it starts in August.

kool-aide

PostPosted: 07/21/16 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
kool-aide wrote:

Her last season ended with an injury so if it was serious enough I could see it lasting past the start of the upcoming season, but I don't think anything was ever publicized widely about it.

Ah, thank you. I did miss reports of a serious injury.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/01/16 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tiffany Mitchell, Amanda Zahui, EWilliams all playing together on Russian club Nadezha Orenbur

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 08/01/16 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

(not that anyone on here cares about this except me but...) Sammy signed to play for Panathinaikos in Greece.

PostPosted: 08/01/16 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
(not that anyone on here cares about this except me but...)

I care. I very much enjoy the Sammy sideshow here Wink

Now I'm going to have to ask WBB247 to add the Greek league to their regular coverage for the coming season.

PostPosted: 08/01/16 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Tiffany Mitchell, Amanda Zahui, EWilliams all playing together on Russian club Nadezha Orenbur

Their games are normally available online right? I hope to catch a lot of their games, not just for AZB but I actually like the other two too.

PostPosted: 08/01/16 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
(not that anyone on here cares about this except me but...) Sammy signed to play for Panathinaikos in Greece.

Oh, dear. Aren't Greek squads notorious for not paying up?

(now with spelling variations)
zune69

PostPosted: 08/01/16 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:

If Sammy has a good season maybe a wnba team will give her a shot(Atl,wash)

Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 08/02/16 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:

Now I'm going to have to ask WBB247 to add the Greek league to their regular coverage for the coming season.

Funny. But she won't be the only WNBA player there (or should be WNBA player). I know for sure Erlana Larkins is on a team there as well.

PostPosted: 08/02/16 12:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:

I don't think any more than any other league. Players have had trouble in Turkey and Russia too. Depends on the club. Panathinaikos is an old well-established sports organization that has teams in a number of other sports in Greece (men's bball, soccer, etc), so they got money.

PostPosted: 08/02/16 2:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kizer and Larkins will be playing on the same team in Greece.

awhom111

PostPosted: 08/02/16 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:

Put me in the cares group too. I have no strong feelings about the two big Greek clubs, but I suppose I have known more people who have played for Pao (not to be confused with PAOK) than Oly and a few more fans of the Greens too. It is good to see the Athens club making a push and signing a big name player while their rivals from Piraeus appear to be trying to re-establish themselves continentally.

That's probably a no on the regular coverage though. I do not believe I have ever seen the website of the Women's League, so I have no idea about the reliability and timeliness of their stats. If it is anything like the Men's League, they might have live stats in English and then boxscores in Greek. eurobasket.com appears to have stats so I suppose they are reasonably available. I usually also run the Greek through a translator, but the letters are not that hard to recognize once you are used to seeing them.

Str8_Butta wrote:
Shades wrote:

Their games are normally available online right? I hope to catch a lot of their games, not just for AZB but I actually like the other two too.

Assuming no changes from last season, they should all be available. Production value varies greatly depending on which team is hosting.

Jet Jaguar wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:

I don't think any more than any other league. Players have had trouble in Turkey and Russia too. Depends on the club. Panathinaikos is an old well-established sports organization that has teams in a number of other sports in Greece (men's bball, soccer, etc), so they got money.

I have never heard of any money troubles at the two big Greek clubs in any sport. Of course, opposing fans will accuse the owners of being tax cheats and letting the rest of the country fall flat on its face. The other clubs have had pretty spotty records across other sports, but a lot of teams are still financed by people who still have money no matter how bad the economic situation gets.

Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 08/02/16 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do my eyes deceive me? Did someone on here just call her a "big name player"? Shocked

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 1 of 18

Jump to: