RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2016 U17s
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/04/16 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LegoMyEggo wrote:
Canada ran the "Chin" offense- the same offense Conn, ND and others utilize.

Canada has more continuity and practice with its team

It also didn't win anything.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/04/16 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BTW, Madeira and Conti made the "All Star Five" but likely could never had been selected for the US team under the current regime. They're not the correct size/shape.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/06/16 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A little more detail on what I see as the issues: https://passthaball.com/2016/07/06/reasons-why-our-american-basketball-system-is-breaking-down/

PostPosted: 07/06/16 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
A little more detail on what I see as the issues: https://passthaball.com/2016/07/06/reasons-why-our-american-basketball-system-is-breaking-down/

Good stuff, Clay. Someone named Lou commented on your post but he/she clearly missed the point. Those marvelous shooters that he wants the committee to select won't have the athleticism to release their pretty shots. The athletes need to learn how to shoot.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 07/06/16 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The more youth basketball you see, even at the U17 trials, with pretty much every elite player on hand, the more it's clear there are some serious issues in women's basketball.

Though it would be great to put some shooters on the team, there really aren't any more who can compete at this level athletically. I've coached some very good shooters over the years but there's no way they could play internationally because they would be overwhelmed defensively and overwhelmed physically.

The problem, as Mike Flynn points out, runs deeper than the Selection Committee or the coaching (though there are issues there). More and more elite female athletes are opting for volleyball, for a variety of reasons, and the talent pool is shallower than before. After Kelsey Mitchell, I don't see any superstars in the pipeline, and though the National Team will continue to roll for years with players like Stewart and Loyd, it's unclear who's behind them.

USA Basketball has tried to reform the process, for both boys and girls, but there are too many stakeholders and too many turf wars. In the end, it's about talent, and given the American system, the U.S. needs a major talent edge because of the kind of players the system rewards. When the talent edge narrows, losses are inevitable.

I've kinda been lurking on this topic and I realize you can't have 5 pure shooters that are in athletic on the court, but having one wouldn't hurt. Screens are set to get players like that open. KML is a good example of that as well as former DePaul player Megan Rogowski. Someone like that would spread the floor for the other ultra athletic players and make them more efficient in what they do. jMO.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/07/16 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
The more youth basketball you see, even at the U17 trials, with pretty much every elite player on hand, the more it's clear there are some serious issues in women's basketball.

Though it would be great to put some shooters on the team, there really aren't any more who can compete at this level athletically. I've coached some very good shooters over the years but there's no way they could play internationally because they would be overwhelmed defensively and overwhelmed physically.

The problem, as Mike Flynn points out, runs deeper than the Selection Committee or the coaching (though there are issues there). More and more elite female athletes are opting for volleyball, for a variety of reasons, and the talent pool is shallower than before. After Kelsey Mitchell, I don't see any superstars in the pipeline, and though the National Team will continue to roll for years with players like Stewart and Loyd, it's unclear who's behind them.

USA Basketball has tried to reform the process, for both boys and girls, but there are too many stakeholders and too many turf wars. In the end, it's about talent, and given the American system, the U.S. needs a major talent edge because of the kind of players the system rewards. When the talent edge narrows, losses are inevitable.

I've kinda been lurking on this topic and I realize you can't have 5 pure shooters that are in athletic on the court, but having one wouldn't hurt. Screens are set to get players like that open. KML is a good example of that as well as former DePaul player Megan Rogowski. Someone like that would spread the floor for the other ultra athletic players and make them more efficient in what they do. jMO.

They tried to do that by adding Abby Prohaska (who looked like a good shooter in tryouts but didn't necessarily make that many) and Taylor Mikesell. Mikesell played the second-fewest minutes but did go five of nine from three against China in the last game. She was two of six prior to that (DNP in the loss to Australia) and Prohaska was three of 13.

And of course it's still pretty easy to account for one shooter in a zone. To shoot a team out of a zone you need two, or better, three, legitimate three-point threats on the court.

PostPosted: 03/09/17 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not to beat a dead horse about this, but USA Basketball's decision to completely clean house on the Men's side for coaching between U18s last summer to U19s this summer makes me more disappointed that they did not make the same decision for this team. Hopefully that means that they will be more proactive for all their teams if results are not up to par.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: