RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2016 U17s
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 07/01/16 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
To make sure credit is given where due, I go back to the time the roster was selected to Clay's comment:

ClayK wrote:

The big issue for this team will be finding points that don't come in transition or off steals. There aren't a lot of shooters, and those who can shoot aren't really a threat to drive.

And there's not a pure point guard, though maybe Taylor Mikesell is. I was very surprised she made the team, as I didn't have a single note on her the entire time I was there. But she did something right ...

Talk about nailing it.

BTW, Mikesell and Prince barely played the entire tournament and didn't play at all today.

Thanks, Art ...

But to your point about blaming the selection committee: I think it goes further back than that. There are shooters available, but unfortunately they can't get their shots off against the superior athletes they face in high school, club and USA tryouts. Athleticism and size erases that skill.

The superior athletes, though, have no reason to develop an outside shot because youth basketball is about winning games, not player development. Parents will not settle for their daughter playing for a losing team, even if that losing team is laying the foundation for all those players to improve.

(For example, insisting that players take, and most likely miss, three-pointers in order to develop confidence and shooting skill, will cost a coach games but will develop players in the long run. I always demanded that my players take left-handed layups from the left side even if their percentage, at that stage of their development, would be higher if they shot them right-handed. It might cost us wins, but down the road, the individuals would be much better.)

Sadly, these crucial decisions are made by those with the least understanding of the system and the sport: The parents. Coaches need talent, and parents move their talented daughters to winning teams, not to teams that make their daughters take one step back to take two forward.

PostPosted: 07/01/16 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think the selection committee and the Coach ( finding Dori) are on the same page in respect to the players. As some of my previous posts would suggest I am not a fan of Dori and think she is totally over her head. They need to replace her or the problems will just continue. They tried a different team and as some posters have mentioned they did play better this year than last but still not good enough. I wonder how long they ( committe) will keep their heads in the sand in respect to a coaching change. Perhaps they can not get anyone else to do it.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/01/16 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
I don't think the selection committee and the Coach ( finding Dori) are on the same page in respect to the players. As some of my previous posts would suggest I am not a fan of Dori and think she is totally over her head. They need to replace her or the problems will just continue. They tried a different team and as some posters have mentioned they did play better this year than last but still not good enough. I wonder how long they ( committe) will keep their heads in the sand in respect to a coaching change. Perhaps they can not get anyone else to do it.

I would be more inclined to accept that if the same problem didn't exist on other USAB teams. Heck, even the 3x3 team had the same problem. Great athletes who couldn't make layups.

I think they're picking players that Matthew Mitchell or Holly Warlick might love, but that are unsuited to international competition, or at least when the entire team is like that. They need a better mix including a couple sound point guards, and two or three real shooters.

And then they need to do basic layup drills in practice so at least all these great athletes can finish off their drives by actually sinking the shot.

Not trying to pick on her, but go watch this game and focus on Henderson. She is just such a perfect example of the problem. Making drives into traffic and bricking layups. She can probably get away with that in AAU ball, but not against Australia. Great athlete whose athleticism far exceeds her basketballism.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/01/16 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where have you gone Carol Blazejo?
BB nation turns its lonely eyes to you (woo, woo, woo).
What's that you say, Mrs. Robinson?
The '70's has left and gone away.
(Hey, hey, hey...hey, hey, hey.)
awhom111

PostPosted: 07/01/16 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The bronze medal game will be on ESPNU at 12:30pm ET and also here apparently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-v7e9DCQvw

The final will be at 3:00pm ET and can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYHwUDzx9LQ

7th Place, Canada vs France 7:30am ET: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0kFsI3WDRg

5th Place, Spain vs Czech Republic 10:00am ET: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3G0BlBRyKc

I can't say that I am surprised with the result. I was pleasantly surprised that we navigated the group stage unscathed. If you had told me that we would lose this game, I would have expected that Magbegor would have had at least 20, but they kept her in check in the second half and the deficit still grew.

I think it was a mistake to retain the coaching staff after last summer, even if you thought the result was a fluke or it was not their fault. There was plenty of player turnover so it feels like they were being held accountable, but the coaches were not, which does not sit well with me as a third party. We will have to see what they come up with for the U16s next summer.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 07/02/16 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:

7th Place, Canada vs France 7:30am ET: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0kFsI3WDRg

5th Place, Spain vs Czech Republic 10:00am ET: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3G0BlBRyKc

I can't say that I am surprised with the result. I was pleasantly surprised that we navigated the group stage unscathed. If you had told me that we would lose this game, I would have expected that Magbegor would have had at least 20, but they kept her in check in the second half and the deficit still grew.

I think it was a mistake to retain the coaching staff after last summer, even if you thought the result was a fluke or it was not their fault. There was plenty of player turnover so it feels like they were being held accountable, but the coaches were not, which does not sit well with me as a third party. We will have to see what they come up with for the U16s next summer.

I was just going to ask that very question as to how much the lack of returning players hurt their chances and is it the coaching or the players. It appears that most have the same conclusion that fundamentals, at least on the offense end, are lacking as well as perimeter shooting. Is there anyone from last's year's team who could have filled the shooting void? Also, two years in a row with the same results and different players makes one wonder about the efficacy of the coaching staff.

PostPosted: 07/02/16 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

I was just going to ask that very question as to how much the lack of returning players hurt their chances and is it the coaching or the players. It appears that most have the same conclusion that fundamentals, at least on the offense end, are lacking as well as perimeter shooting. Is there anyone from last's year's team who could have filled the shooting void? Also, two years in a row with the same results and different players makes one wonder about the efficacy of the coaching staff.

Nobody last year could shoot either.

As for returnees, DeCosta rebounded well all tourney, and finally had a really good overall game in the loss. I don't understand why they brought back Prince and then left her on the bench the entire time.

I question how much any coach can teach fundamentals or significantly change individual players' approach to the game in the limited time available with them. You largely have to play with the hand you're dealt.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 07/02/16 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Talent is down. No players to step up for USA. These are weak recruiting classes so enjoy what's in college right now. Prince a project to see if she improves, they kept Mulkey for same reason but they don't often pan out.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/02/16 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the missing pieces for the U17 team -- shooters, mainly -- are out there somewhere, unfortunately they weren't at the tryouts. And they weren't at the U18 tryouts either.

Hopefully, some parents of elite middle school players out there are paying attention to what's going on, and will realize that having a really athletic perimeter player who takes the time (and losses) to learn how to shoot is a huge, huge advantage in a game that has shifted so far in the direction of pure athleticism.

As I've said, I don't think you can really teach a player to shoot after high school -- the foundation needs to be laid in sixth and seventh grades, with form shooting, three-pointers and a basic understanding of shot mechanics.

Sadly, there aren't that many coaches who can teach shooting well, and the good ones don't really work with youngsters. (And so many individual coaches spend most of the time doing conditioning and two-ball dribbling and tennis ball drills because all of that stuff is easier to do, and a lot less boring, than just grinding down on shooting and shooting mechanics. It's not that hard to run a girl to exhaustion, and then call that an individual workout ...)

PostPosted: 07/02/16 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I haven't had a chance to watch today's game yet, but I see that Mikesell, who has been firmly glued to the bench until today, finally played 19 minutes and scored 15pts to lead all scorers. What's up with that, and is her lack of prior playing time a coaching blunder?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/02/16 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Hopefully, some parents of elite middle school players out there are paying attention to what's going on, and will realize that having a really athletic perimeter player who takes the time (and losses) to learn how to shoot is a huge, huge advantage in a game that has shifted so far in the direction of pure athleticism.

One would think that players and parents would notice the success of athletic, normal height ( under 6ft ) players who can score from multiple locations on the floor and create their own shots. Players like Loyd, Powers, Sims, Tiffany Mitchell, Kayla McBride, etc. Where are the players like that? There have to be some out there somewhere.

This USAB team needed a couple players like that.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/02/16 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

One would think that players and parents would notice the success of athletic, normal height ( under 6ft ) players who can score from multiple locations on the floor and create their own shots. Players like Loyd, Powers, Sims, Tiffany Mitchell, Kayla McBride, etc. Where are the players like that? There have to be some out there somewhere.

This USAB team needed a couple players like that.

They're out there -- they're just going to the rim every time so they can win AAU tournaments.

PostPosted: 07/02/16 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The shooters are out there but they would never garner an invite, nor if selected, would gain a spot. Our local Bay Area high school, Pinewood, has a roster full of shooters. Plus they know how to play basketball. Coached by Doc Scheppler all his kids learn to shoot.

But they don't look good in a uniform, i.e. not long, athletic and can't jump out of a gym, so they are ignored, told they're not "athletic" enough.

BTW - Pinewood this year upset the nation's #1 team, ultra athletic St. Mary's Stockton, shooting the lights out.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/03/16 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To add to the embarrassment, no US player was selected to FIBA'S "All Star Five" for the tournament. One from Italy, one from China, three from Australia.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/03/16 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

letsski wrote:
The shooters are out there but they would never garner an invite, nor if selected, would gain a spot. Our local Bay Area high school, Pinewood, has a roster full of shooters. Plus they know how to play basketball. Coached by Doc Scheppler all his kids learn to shoot.

But they don't look good in a uniform, i.e. not long, athletic and can't jump out of a gym, so they are ignored, told they're not "athletic" enough.

BTW - Pinewood this year upset the nation's #1 team, ultra athletic St. Mary's Stockton, shooting the lights out.

Remember, anyone can come to USA Basketball tryouts ...

I've seen Pinewood play and I was at the tryouts, and the problem the very good, but small, Pinewood players would have is getting off the shot. They would be guarded by taller, faster, stronger, quicker, more athletic players who, though they can't shoot, can keep the Pinewood girls from shooting. And those tall, fast, etc., players will score on offensive rebounds, steals and drives enough to win.

Yes, Pinewood beat St. Mary's but also lost to Miramonte by 33 the next time out and lost 10 games overall.

To me, the point is that the tall, fast, etc. players need to work on acquiring shooting skills rather than simply settling for making lesser athletes disappear when they try to score, and then relying on being tall, fast, etc., as opposed to skill, on offense.

There were a couple kids who could shoot who made the USA team but you need more than one or two -- and you need a system that gets those kids shots. That latter point is a problem because unlike most international teams, the American teams barely practice together.

PostPosted: 07/03/16 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Because of that last point, you need a couple Jewell Loyds who can beat their defender one-on-one and create (and make) a shot without help.

And it's even more essential to have those type players and more difficult to run plays because the clock is only 24 seconds.

That doesn't mean slow set shooters any more than it means athletes who can't make layups, much less pull up jumpers.

I know the AAU system doesn't produce them, but there have to be some players out there somewhere who grew up playing in the back yard or playgrounds with their brothers and can make a jump shot. Players who learned playing pick up games to get off and make a shot against taller, stronger defenders.

And somewhere there have to be some actual point guards, not just 2 guards masquerading as point guards.

And they need some people on the selection committee who know enough to discern and be impressed by basketball players rather than just drooling over height and speed and vertical jump.

dtbtbtb

PostPosted: 07/03/16 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A lot of those players can create their own shots...they just ca't make those shots. Not too long ago you had KML and then KLS who could shoot and make 3 pointers....what happened?

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 07/03/16 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Flynn's take: http://www.bluestarmedia.org/bronze-game-blame-game/

He seems to blame the committee more than the coach.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/03/16 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtbtbtb wrote:
A lot of those players can create their own shots...they just ca't make those shots. Not too long ago you had KML and then KLS who could shoot and make 3 pointers....what happened?

KML has never "created her own shot". She doesn't create seperation on her own and doesn't elevate. That's why she struggles in the WNBA. She thrived at UConn where defenses collapsed to protect the paint and Geno devised plays to get her wide open on the perimeter. That's not what the US team need. They need players like Moore and Powers and Loyd who thrive in one-on-one play.

And "creating your own shot" means creating seperation and a good shot. It doesn't mean putting your head down, charging at the basket, and forcing a half-assed chuck-it-up at the backboard in traffic like we saw the past week.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/03/16 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Flynn's take: http://www.bluestarmedia.org/bronze-game-blame-game/

He seems to blame the committee more than the coach.

What does he mean by "The players were selected for 2015 and 2016 with only Rankin-Schneider actually coaching and being at any FIBA youth events besides Callan."Were all six selection committee members at the trials? Is he saying the other four have no familiarity with the candidate pool? Not sure what he means.

I think the selection committee is simply rewarding and prioritizing the wrong traits.

The coaches are out front and get the blame. Maybe the selection committee needs to be replaced as well. Start over.

BTW, Flynn has been an Oldaker supporter, but he also praised this group of players at the time of selection.

Who makes up the U18 selection committee? At least that team has Ramirez (definitely a scorer ), Westbrook, Cox and Boothe. We'll see if that works out better.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/04/16 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The more youth basketball you see, even at the U17 trials, with pretty much every elite player on hand, the more it's clear there are some serious issues in women's basketball.

Though it would be great to put some shooters on the team, there really aren't any more who can compete at this level athletically. I've coached some very good shooters over the years but there's no way they could play internationally because they would be overwhelmed defensively and overwhelmed physically.

The problem, as Mike Flynn points out, runs deeper than the Selection Committee or the coaching (though there are issues there). More and more elite female athletes are opting for volleyball, for a variety of reasons, and the talent pool is shallower than before. After Kelsey Mitchell, I don't see any superstars in the pipeline, and though the National Team will continue to roll for years with players like Stewart and Loyd, it's unclear who's behind them.

USA Basketball has tried to reform the process, for both boys and girls, but there are too many stakeholders and too many turf wars. In the end, it's about talent, and given the American system, the U.S. needs a major talent edge because of the kind of players the system rewards. When the talent edge narrows, losses are inevitable.

PostPosted: 07/04/16 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I usually like a lot of what you say Clay but totally disagree with your comment on Mitchell. She is exactly what is wrong with US basketball players and the reason she was not on a team was due to her selfish me first attitude and play. The US has some players just not in these recent couple of high school years.

For all the complaints by the few homers to their own college teams Geno for example knows who the unselfish talented team players are, those who could take every shot if they wanted to but don't because there is a bigger picture and that is winning the ultimate prize over self praise. That's why he has been so successful. Staley is not the answer either once Geno is done as she is challenged offensively and is still trying to keep her recruit happy and not challenge her.

The US needs a coach who is about team play and as you say not just a bunch of athletes who have no real IQ. They have shown this can be done over and over but this 2016, 2017 class and possibly 2018 we will see, will be very shallow.

The US is grasping right now to find the pieces to continue their juggernaut, which includes coaching, it is just not as easy and obvious as it used to be.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/04/16 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
I usually like a lot of what you say Clay but totally disagree with your comment on Mitchell. She is exactly what is wrong with US basketball players and the reason she was not on a team was due to her selfish me first attitude and play. The US has some players just not in these recent couple of high school years.

For all the complaints by the few homers to their own college teams Geno for example knows who the unselfish talented team players are, those who could take every shot if they wanted to but don't because there is a bigger picture and that is winning the ultimate prize over self praise. That's why he has been so successful. Staley is not the answer either once Geno is done as she is challenged offensively and is still trying to keep her recruit happy and not challenge her.

The US needs a coach who is about team play and as you say not just a bunch of athletes who have no real IQ. They have shown this can be done over and over but this 2016, 2017 class and possibly 2018 we will see, will be very shallow.

The US is grasping right now to find the pieces to continue their juggernaut, which includes coaching, it is just not as easy and obvious as it used to be.

There are severe limits to how much the US youth teams can rely on " team play" because there simply is not enough practice time available to teach complex team systems such as Geno or Muffett thrive on in college. You can't teach a Princeton offense, for example, to players unfamiliar with it, in 20 hours of practice. And even Geno's star recruits like Stewart and Samuelson and Jefferson, needed a half or full season of training and practice before they actually started contributing.

That's why these youth teams need athletic basketball players like Mitchell or Loyd who can create one-on-one.

Regarding Clay's comments, this sounds like a repeat of the Tenn/SEC history. Dominated playing defense and rebounding as long as they had a significant advantage in size and athleticism, but that ended when the athleticism advantage shrank and other schools started fielding tall athletic teams who could play offense too.

I just find it hard to believe that in a span of only 3 or 4 years all the basketball players have vanished.

Maybe they need to look harder in places like Indiana and NJ where shooting is still valued rather than picking half the team from Texas.

There's a parallel in football where Florida produces the most great athletes, but not that many top QBs, because FL HSs tend to put their best athlete at QB and let him run the ball and college coaches tend to look elsewhere for QBs who may be less athletic but have learned how to pass the ball. So they recruit DBs and WRs and DEs from FL, but look to CA and PA and other places for QBs. A lot of FL HS QBs end up being recruited to play a different position in college.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/04/16 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:

As Art points out, the team play aspect for the U.S. is very difficult. In smaller countries, a pool of young talent can be selected and play together over a period of years, with some substantial blocks of time to develop team chemistry and familiarity with a system. If nothing else, the geographical spread and cost of getting all the top U.S. players together -- not to mention identifying them -- is not a trivial task.

But to your point about Mitchell: Great teams need great scorers and Mitchell can score. The Americans are struggling at the youth level internationally because they can't score, and Mitchell fills that need. Having five gunners won't work; but you need at least one player who, given the ball, can make something happen.

If a player like Mitchell had been on the U17 team, I'm pretty sure they would have won gold.

PostPosted: 07/04/16 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Canada ran the "Chin" offense- the same offense Conn, ND and others utilize.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: