RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2016 U17s
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awhom111

PostPosted: 06/29/16 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Only the 5th Place Playoffs will be played on Thursday. Canada-Spain is at 10:45am ET and France-Czech Republic is at 1:00pm ET. The YouTube links are not up yet, but presumably will be later.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 06/29/16 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
They are high school girls, after all, and they did get the win.
. . . .
But regardless, this is not a tape one would show at a clinic.

Hey, there's a major college conference that plays like that. Laughing

You might show it at an SEC clinic. "See, you don't need offense to win games." Cool

Good point. Which is why I like the Left Coast version of the game a lot better.

UConn, Notre Dame, Dayton. There are 3 programs that play basketball well that are right or right-center (geographically).

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/30/16 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
ClayK wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
. . . .

You might show it at an SEC clinic. "See, you don't need offense to win games." Cool

Good point. Which is why I like the Left Coast version of the game a lot better.

UConn, Notre Dame, Dayton. There are 3 programs that play basketball well that are right or right-center (geographically).

Nobody has accused McGuff's OhSt teams of relying on defense and rebounding, that's for sure.

what the

PostPosted: 06/30/16 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

did anyone watch the end of china v spain ? so much emotion. my tip is china v usa for gold
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 06/30/16 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:
ClayK wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
. . . .

Nobody has accused McGuff's OhSt teams of relying on defense and rebounding, that's for sure.

Or Bruno's DePaul teams. Or Coach Q's 'Cuse teams. Sure they press, but not strong rebounders and don't score on just offensive rebounds.

awhom111

PostPosted: 06/30/16 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ESPN will have coverage of the next two games. The semifinal against Australia will be on ESPN3 at 10:00am ET on Friday. If we had gotten picked for the first semifinal, they actually would have found space for it on ESPNU, but I guess they would rather videocast a radio show. Either way, this is good news since you would have needed a livebasketball.tv account to watch otherwise.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/30/16 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
ESPN will have coverage of the next two games. The semifinal against Australia will be on ESPN3 at 10:00am ET on Friday. If we had gotten picked for the first semifinal, they actually would have found space for it on ESPNU, but I guess they would rather videocast a radio show. Either way, this is good news since you would have needed a livebasketball.tv account to watch otherwise.

It looks like the semis are still listed on the FIBA YouTube channel, aren't they?

awhom111

PostPosted: 06/30/16 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

It looks like the semis are still listed on the FIBA YouTube channel, aren't they?

I guess they are. The boys' games are not though. Who knows with FIBA? Not that we should really complain since they make so many events free.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/01/16 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They actually have announcers for the semifinals.

Italy beat China 62-51 by the way.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/01/16 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like another typical US game. US hanging close with defense and rebounding but is 1/13 shooting..

I am stunned that this group of highly regarded US players can't make any kind of basket (except free throws. They shoot free throws well).

what the

PostPosted: 07/01/16 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

watching the gold medal game now - shame it is one round too early
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/01/16 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

US makes some substitutions and goes on a bit of a run to close to within 3, 16-23 at the end of the first quarter.

The US frankly has played better in all aspects other than shooting. If they had any scorers they'd be winning easily but they're 5/20 shooting.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/01/16 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Henderson is a prime example of the US problem. Very athletic, good defense, but basketball IQ is suspect. Twice in a row dribbled full speed length of the court, did some wild spin move in the paint, and then slammed the ball off the backboard way too hard. No touch at all.

She has taken 11 of the US team's 28 shots but only made 3 of them.

Oh, and the US has to go back to their usual m2m defense because this zone is a sieve.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/01/16 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

deCosta may not be a great shooter, but wow is she a great rebounder. Knows where to be, has good timing and hands.

She's certainly not the biggest player out there but she might be the toughest player out there.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/01/16 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

US trails 36-27 at the half.

Why? Primarily because they're 11/40 shooting. 0/5 from the arc.

Collier 0/3, Williams 1/6, Dodson 1/4, Henderson 3/12, etc.

And they're not even making free throws today - 5/11.

The lack of touch on simple layups is stunning. Waiting for someone to break a backboard slamming a layup off of it.

DeCosta and Bailey playing pretty well.

Thankfully Australia is only 14/36 shooting or this would be really ugly. The US is contributing to that by playing good defense most of the time.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/01/16 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, there's Henderson with another don't even look to pass, charge into traffic, do the same spin move, and clank the ball off the backboard.

I bet she does that same exact thing at least ten times a game in AAU ball.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/01/16 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, the US had closed to 3 but after another forced shot and two bad turnovers by Henderson, it's back to 7.

Henderson should sit the rest of this game.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/01/16 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

US down 13 with one quarter to play (it was 15 btw)

US now 19 of 59 shooting.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/01/16 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Typical. Nice steal at the point by Prohaska, she missed the breakaway layup and no one on the US team bothered to run the floor to follow up.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/01/16 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So finally Dodson and Nelson-Ododa make really nice drives to the basket and exhibit nice touch on their shots. They looked the way you expect these players to look.

US still down 12 with five minutes to go.

And then Henderson steals the ball, takes the ball the length of the floor, drives into traffic and throws up a brick.

And next possession, drives into traffic and turns it over.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/01/16 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

US down 10 with 2 minutes to go.

If Nelson-Ododa hadn't scored 17 second half points, it would be a lot worse.

what the

PostPosted: 07/01/16 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wow
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/01/16 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

US loses 73-60.

OK, the US coaching is certainly suspect. I can't figure out the choices as to who gets playing time or the substitution patterns. And there just aren't plays designed to get the ball to players in good scoring position.

But I think the problem starts with the player selections. USA Basketball keeps picking AAU athletes and prioritizing athleticism. They don't include enough shooters and they don't include quality PGs. Prohaska looks like the only facilitator/passer, but she was a bit of a defensive liability. Instead they play Henderson at the point most of the game but she's a black hole. Ball gets in her hands and generally never comes out. Forced shot after forced shot. (5/21 for the game. No other player took more than 9 shots. 3 assists, 5 turnovers.)

You can't entirely blame the coach if players can't make layups or 3 ft putbacks.

And Australia played well, especially in the second half. Aus didn't exactly tear it up shooting - both teams took 75 shots and Aus made 27 vs the US's 23 - but from the arc Aus made 6 while the US was 1/14.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 07/01/16 11:15 am; edited 3 times in total
what the

PostPosted: 07/01/16 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/01/16 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To make sure credit is given where due, I go back to the time the roster was selected to Clay's comment:

ClayK wrote:

The big issue for this team will be finding points that don't come in transition or off steals. There aren't a lot of shooters, and those who can shoot aren't really a threat to drive.

And there's not a pure point guard, though maybe Taylor Mikesell is. I was very surprised she made the team, as I didn't have a single note on her the entire time I was there. But she did something right ...

Talk about nailing it.

BTW, Mikesell and Prince barely played the entire tournament and didn't play at all today.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: