RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Stanford Rapist gets 6 months and probation...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justintyme

PostPosted: 06/06/16 4:32 pm    ::: Stanford Rapist gets 6 months and probation... Reply Reply with quote

10 Reasons Why the Brock Turner Rape Case Is Even More Awful Than It Looks

Quote:
The media in general tends to struggle with reporting rape cases, especially during the trial phase, for liability reasons. That's why you see headlines like "had sex with" or "alleged rapist." Once someone is convicted, though, you'd think we could dispense with the fig leaves, but you'd be wrong.
Take this headline from the Washington Post:

'You took away my worth': A rape victim delivers a 'powerful' message to a former Stanford swimmer

She's a "rape victim," he's a "former Stanford swimmer." Not a rapist. A "former Stanford swimmer." She's defined by the horrible crime he perpetrated, and he's defined by his social status. The Post is far from the only offender when it comes to media outlets that refuse to call Brock Turner a rapist.

Quote:
Dan A. Turner wrote a brief statement in defense of his son. His comments serve both as an appalling illustration of rape culture, and an explanation for why his son is such a terrible person.

After hearing that his son's victim is experiencing acute psychological issues, he wants us to know that his son's life has gotten so very difficult because he was accused of rape. He can't even enjoy steak anymore!

It wasn't enough to make this all about his son's pain, though. Oh no. He referred to the rape as "20 minutes of action."

20 minutes of action.

PostPosted: 06/06/16 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I read that whole letter from the victim the other day. Holy shit!

And the father of the guy should be ashamed of himself.
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 06/06/16 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fucking disgrace.

and in CT today, a HS student who stabbed his classmate to death, in school while it was in session, because she refused to be his prom date, was sentenced today to 25 yrs. as part of a deal.

PostPosted: 06/06/16 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I always just say "Karma's a bitch". This guy will get what's coming for him. Maybe not now, or next year, but he'll get it[Karma].

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 06/06/16 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
and in CT today, a HS student who stabbed his classmate to death, in school while it was in session, because she refused to be his prom date, was sentenced today to 25 yrs. as part of a deal.

Excitable boy, they all said...

PostPosted: 06/07/16 7:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's see what his friends think...

http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/06/brock-turners-friend-pens-letter-of-support.html

Quote:
where do we draw the line and stop worrying about being politically correct every second of the day and see that rape on campuses isnt always because people are rapists.

PostPosted: 06/07/16 7:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That statement from the dad made me rage so hard I actually had to walk away for a moment. Now we know why the son acts the way he does and thinks the way he does. I can only imagine the BS Daddy Turner is spewing at home about women.

Talking about how his son has "no joy" in his life and how he can't eat and how it's not rape, it's "20 minutes of action." That's how this dad refers to rape and sexual assault - "action." What the hell does he think his son's rape victim is going through?

This guy and his son need to be smashed repeatedly in the face with a baseball bat.

Please sign the change.org petition to get this judge off the bench, it's an election year and he's running unopposed!

https://www.change.org/p/california-state-house-recall-judge-aaron-persky

PostPosted: 06/07/16 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I read her statement. Wow!

She is amazing in her strength and words. I hope that she continues her healing and knows that she has touched a large number of people with her 'light.'

I hope that Brock and Dan Turner stop, read and really think what she had to say. And suffer every minute of everyday thinking about what Brock has given up because of his actions.

I hope that the judge is soon out of a job on the bench. Right now, I'm not sure that he's capable of judging a a dog show or best pie competition.

The probation officer should be in the unemployment line along with the judge.

Genero36

PostPosted: 06/07/16 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 06/07/16 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just awful and disgusting, all the way around.

The little bit of light in this story is the two swedes, who witnessed what was going on, put a stop to it, and stood by the victim. There are so many reasons (even beyond rape culture) that people wouldn't stop to help in that situation, but they did.

PostPosted: 06/08/16 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dp

www.barnstormingamerica.net

Last edited by HistoryWomensBasketball on 06/09/16 5:13 am; edited 1 time in total
HistoryWomensBasketball

PostPosted: 06/08/16 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
That statement from the dad made me rage so hard I actually had to walk away for a moment. Now we know why the son acts the way he does and thinks the way he does. I can only imagine the BS Daddy Turner is spewing at home about women.

Talking about how his son has "no joy" in his life and how he can't eat and how it's not rape, it's "20 minutes of action." That's how this dad refers to rape and sexual assault - "action." What the hell does he think his son's rape victim is going through?

This guy and his son need to be smashed repeatedly in the face with a baseball bat.

Please sign the change.org petition to get this judge off the bench, it's an election year and he's running unopposed!

https://www.change.org/p/california-state-house-recall-judge-aaron-persky

signed. beyond sickening.

www.barnstormingamerica.net
pilight

PostPosted: 06/08/16 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford grad Candice Wiggins weighs in

http://www.tmz.com/2016/06/08/wnba-legend-candice-wiggins-fire-stanford-rape-judge-hes-totally-wrong/

Quote:
"The judge should be removed," Wiggins said ...

PostPosted: 06/09/16 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw/read/heard something about this kid's father so agitated because the kid couldn't even enjoy a good steak these days. Rolling Eyes

However brief his stay in jail is, I certainly hope he gets *T-boned* a few times. Just to make up for it all. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 06/10/16 8:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now some potential jurors are refusing to serve in his courtroom and two female 'character' witnesses are backing down on their statements.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/potential-jurors-refuse-serve-case-overseen-stanford-sex/story?id=39749908

Quote:
Leslie Rasmussen of the indie rock band Good English, who went to school with Turner, posted on her Facebook page how she regretted supporting him, citing widespread backlash and canceled venues.

Quote:
Kelly Owens, who was Turner's guidance counselor when he went to Oakwood High School, near Dayton, Ohio, was also a character witness. Owens issued an apology Wednesday to the school district saying the letter she wrote to the judge during Turner's trial was a mistake.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 06/10/16 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.startribune.com/sack-cartoon-stanford-rape-case/382424461/

PostPosted: 06/10/16 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Letter from Brock Turner's mother. There isn't any mention of the victim. The final piece to the puzzle as to why he is who he is.

PostPosted: 06/10/16 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA Swimming bans Brock Turner for life
Quote:
(CNN)The U.S. governing body for the sport of swimming on Friday banned ex-Stanford University swimmer Brock Turner, whose six-month jail sentence for sexually assaulting an unconscious woman has stirred widespread outrage.

Condemning Turner's "crime and actions," USA Swimming said that he is not a current organization member and is ineligible for membership.

"Brock Turner's membership with USA Swimming expired at the end of the calendar year 2014 and he was not a member at the time of his crime or since then," USA Swimming spokesman Scott Leightman said. "As a result, USA Swimming doesn't have any jurisdiction over Brock Turner."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/10/us/sexual-assault-brock-turner-swimming/index.html

PostPosted: 06/10/16 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"why him"

Is she fucking serious?

PostPosted: 06/11/16 7:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HEY LADY, your son raped an unconscious woman and you're worried that by him having to register as a sex offender that people will think it's because he's a child molester? you and your husband are real pieces of work!

to be honest, i half-way expected them to go for the affluenza defense. Sad

PostPosted: 06/11/16 9:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
"why him"

Is she fucking serious?

Unfortunately... Confused

PostPosted: 06/12/16 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The frenzy over campus rape culture is hurting real victims

http://nypost.com/2016/06/11/the-frenzy-over-campus-rape-culture-is-hurting-real-victims/

Quote:
People will cite the 1 in 5 statistic the bogus percentage of campus rapes and they will offer the Stanford girl as the textbook example, when in fact the vast majority of these assaults look much more like the Columbia one.

PostPosted: 06/12/16 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The frenzy over campus rape culture is hurting real victims

http://nypost.com/2016/06/11/the-frenzy-over-campus-rape-culture-is-hurting-real-victims/

Quote:
People will cite the 1 in 5 statistic the bogus percentage of campus rapes and they will offer the Stanford girl as the textbook example, when in fact the vast majority of these assaults look much more like the Columbia one.

This is one of the stupidest things I have ever read. She is insinuating that the "vast majority" of these 1 in 5 are not actually rape victims, but rather women who drank too much and later regretted having sex so they claimed rape. She also does the disgusting thing of perpetuating the old way if thinking that it is a woman responsibility to make sure she does not get raped, rather than the responsibility of men to not rape.

The worst part is that she is selling the Hollywood myth that there are two types of men out there, "There are wonderful men out there who will be your friends, your boyfriends and maybe someday your husbands. But there are also men who dont care a whit about your well-being." This is not how it works in real life. What the letters to the judge should tell us is that Brock Turner, up until the point that he raped a young women behind a dumpster, was part of that first group. Brock Turner was not a monster, a Ramsey Snow type figure who got off on the harming of others. Because that is not what most rapists look like. But that is what we are talking about when we discuss rape culture. How otherwise decent people become a monster in the moment. How the way we approach sex with a sense of entitlement, or as a defining characteristic of masculinity, or with a boys will be boys mentality, or that it is a women's job to say no rather than make sure it is a clear and uncoerced yes, all create an atmosphere...a culture...where rape can thrive.

So what hurts "real victims"? Articles like this one...

PostPosted: 06/14/16 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brock Turner juror to judge: 'Shame on you'

http://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/2016/06/13/brock-turner-juror-to-judge-shame-on-you

Quote:
"After the guilty verdict I expected that this case would serve as a very strong deterrent to on-campus assaults, but with the ridiculously lenient sentence that Brock Turner received, I am afraid that it makes a mockery of the whole trial and the ability of the justice system to protect victims of assault and rape," the juror wrote to Persky. "Clearly there are few to no consequences for a rapist even if they are caught in the act of assaulting a defenseless, unconscious person."

PostPosted: 06/14/16 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Prosecutor removes judge from a new sexual assault case.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/prosecutor-bumps-stanford-sex-assault-judge-case-39861800

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: