RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

College Softball World Series

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taropatch

PostPosted: 05/28/16 12:45 am    ::: College Softball World Series Reply Reply with quote

... starts next week as the Super Regional (2 out of 3) pairs play this week.

Two tickets punched today. Oklahoma is in an so is Georgia.

Georgia's Puailoa smashed a walk-off 2 run homer with 2 outs in the 7th and capped the upset of #1 Alabama. In 2010, Hawaii did the same thing to #1 Bama with walkoff slam in the super regional. Very Happy

6 more tickets to be punched. Keep your eye on James Madison.

Last edited by taropatch on 06/02/16 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
scfastpitch

PostPosted: 05/28/16 6:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Georgia beat Florida . Alabama is playing Washington .

taropatch

PostPosted: 05/28/16 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scfastpitch wrote:
Georgia beat Florida . Alabama is playing Washington .

Whoops! You're right.

AAOK423

PostPosted: 05/29/16 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Damn, OU has to play Alabama again. That matchup is getting to be a annual event for the WCWS. Still I'm glad OU made it and I'm really liking the Georgia team. Another underdog team is Arizona, there up on Auburn right now. Michigan just got in, there going to be tough.

Got my tickets for session 1 and 2! Can't wait till Thursday!

dinkytown

PostPosted: 05/29/16 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stunned Georgia swept Florida to say the least! I was going to go for the underdog JMU but LSU had to go and knock them out.

taropatch

PostPosted: 05/29/16 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dinkytown wrote:
Stunned Georgia swept Florida to say the least! I was going to go for the underdog JMU but LSU had to go and knock them out.

Both if my underdogs, JMU and UL-Lafayette, got taken out. At least ULL made the second game close against Oklahoma.

Auburn evened the series with Arizona; and seized the momentum for the moment for game 3.

taropatch

PostPosted: 05/30/16 2:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kudos to Auburn and UCLA for each winning two straight to punch their tickets to the Series. We are all set for OK-City.

Opening round starts on Thursday, June 2

Game 1: (16) Georgia vs. (Cool Florida State, noon, ESPN
Game 2: (12) UCLA vs. (4) Auburn, 2:30 p.m., ESPN
Game 3: (3) Oklahoma vs. (6) Alabama, 7 p.m., ESPN2
Game 4: (10) LSU vs. (2) Michigan, 9:30 p.m., ESPN2

FS02

PostPosted: 05/30/16 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who do you see winning it all now that Florida has been knocked out?

PostPosted: 06/01/16 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Suppose to be rainy in OKC all day tomorrow. Hopefully its not too bad.

AAOK423

PostPosted: 06/01/16 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FS02 wrote:
Who do you see winning it all now that Florida has been knocked out?

Ill be cheering for OU but Auburn and Michigan are real tough. Georgia, LSU, and UCLA could continue to upset though.

AAOK423

PostPosted: 06/02/16 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Georgia won game 1 against Florida State. FSU with 7 errors.

gpark33

PostPosted: 06/02/16 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAOK423 wrote:
Georgia won game 1 against Florida State. FSU with 7 errors.

Georgia's hustle in that game was impressive. They fought for every base.

The 3B's ball between the legs was an especially impressive error for FSU.

PostPosted: 06/04/16 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That Auburn rally in the top of the 7th was fun to watch. Singles and good base running. 4-3 over Georgia after trailing 3-1 going into the 7th.

UGA vs. LSU in the losers bracket tomorrow.

taropatch

PostPosted: 06/04/16 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bizarre play of the series in the winners bracket, Auburn vs. Georgia. Score tied at 3, Auburn's at bat, with ONE OUT top of the 7th inning and Auburn starting to hit well with runners on base. Grounder to second, Georgia's second baseman, instead of going to second and trying for the double play, tries to tag the runner. Avoiding the running path by more than 3 feet, the Auburn runner avoids the tag but is forced OUT at second with the underhand throw. Meanwhile, Auburn's third base runner scores making the score 4-3. Remember the batter who started this whole thing? After touching first base, her first base coach grabs her, resulting in OUT NUMBER THREE as a runner cannot be touched (assisted) by the first base coach. Unbelievably, with all the cameras, ESPN does not have video of the coach touching the player. Auburn's runner headed to second would have been out anyway as she veered from the running path by more than 3 feet. Auburn's 4th run stands as they scored before the first base fiasco. Auburn holds off the Dawgs in the bottom of the 7th and moves to the semifinals.

AAOK423

PostPosted: 06/05/16 12:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dang its been a couple stressful games as a Sooner fan! Paige Parker has nerves of steel!! Glad to see them winning though. The umps have been horrible and the pitch tracker is really showing it.

UCLA and Alabama out.

AAOK423

PostPosted: 06/05/16 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan goes down to Florida State 1-0

PamelaT

PostPosted: 06/05/16 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

taropatch wrote:
Bizarre play of the series in the winners bracket

Thanks for explaining - I was reading the scorer's summary in the "play by play" and trying to figure out what in the world went on here...

taropatch

PostPosted: 06/06/16 4:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Auburn's motto should be, "Our pitching is suspect, but we hit and we field". Don't know if it's Auburn's destiny to win it all this year but they somehow pull it out when they need to. Sooners are the more complete team because they excell in all facets of the game and they have pitching. Hope for an entertaining national title series.

taropatch

PostPosted: 06/06/16 4:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PamelaT wrote:
taropatch wrote:
Bizarre play of the series in the winners bracket

Thanks for explaining - I was reading the scorer's summary in the "play by play" and trying to figure out what in the world went on here...

Similar weird out in the super regional between UCLA and Oregon. Routine grounder to the Oregon infielder, throw to 2nd for out #2. The UCLA batter is safe at first, however, thinking it was the third out, removes her helmet and walks toward the dugout. Coach grabs her and pushes her toward first base. Umpire makes a "removed helmet" motion and calls her for out #3.

AAOK423

PostPosted: 06/06/16 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

going in the championship series one of the things that scares me for OU is that they are totally relying on Paige Parker and Auburn has five pitchers. I have no doubt Paige is better than any of their five pitchers but she has thrown every pitch for OU during their post-season run and should be at least a little fatigued. Plus, with her bad knees she has trouble fielding her position and with a team like Auburn that can put the ball down and where they want it that's concerning too. However, shes got them this far and has a strong defense behind her so, Go OU!

coffy73

PostPosted: 06/07/16 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAOK423 wrote:
going in the championship series one of the things that scares me for OU is that they are totally relying on Paige Parker and Auburn has five pitchers. I have no doubt Paige is better than any of their five pitchers but she has thrown every pitch for OU during their post-season run and should be at least a little fatigued. Plus, with her bad knees she has trouble fielding her position and with a team like Auburn that can put the ball down and where they want it that's concerning too. However, shes got them this far and has a strong defense behind her so, Go OU!

I see why OK relies on Parker so much, their other pitchers are terrible! They have completely let down their offense tonight. OK offense came out strong, but the pitching is god awful.

AAOK423

PostPosted: 06/09/16 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Which is why I'm so glad they have Parker. And also glad that Gasso decided to rest her and not pitch her in game 2. In the post game of game 3 Gasso said that before game 2 Parker was at about 30% and I'm not surprised seeing how many pitches she had thrown in a short amount of time (Plus, OU never got a day off, even if Parker did). Before game 3 Gasso said Parker was at about 75%, and she only gave up one run and OU won another championship. Had they pitched Parker in game 2 they probably would have lost both games 2 and 3. Kelsey Stevens was great her first year at OU but has since been a shadow of herself. I don't think she was ever injured but I believe she has been dealing with mental blocks for a couple years. Chestnut is a freshmen and one of their only freshmen that still looks very much like a freshmen. She will get better. But yes, If they want to have any chance to repeat next year they are going to need to find a solid backup for Parker. But I'm happy they got it this year! Auburn put up a hell of a fight but OU came through!!! Boomer Sooner!!!

tfan

PostPosted: 06/09/16 3:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't understand why in major league baseball you hear it said that a guy is making a heroic effort by pitching on three days rest, whereas these star softball pitchers on these teams will frequently pitch 2 and even 3 days in a row.

gpark33

PostPosted: 06/09/16 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I don't understand why in major league baseball you hear it said that a guy is making a heroic effort by pitching on three days rest, whereas these star softball pitchers on these teams will frequently pitch 2 and even 3 days in a row.

I saw a stat last night saying Parker threw over 1000 pitches just in the tourney. Unreal. Congrats to OU. That was a highly entertaining series all the way around.

PostPosted: 06/09/16 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

Honestly, its apples and oranges in comparison. The amount of stress put on the body due to the throwing motion in softball is much less than the amount of stress caused by the baseball throw.

That doesn't mean that it is safe to throw a pitcher the way Oklahoma and others have thrown their ace pitchers. Daily pitching to that degree is dangerous, but tolerated really due to the fact that there is not equivalent major league softball. The is the grandest stage and the players want to play. I don't say that to take anything away from Oklahoma or anyone else. They are terrific teams and they are coached well

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: