Jackson
Griffith
Cooper
Thompson
Smith
Holdsclaw
Penicheiro
Sales

I tried to refrain from picking younger players because I think that in order to be on an All-Decade team a player should have played at least half of the decade, in my opinion, although I made an exception for Jackson because, well, because I'm not completely stupid!! Very Happy

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 04/27/06 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where's the love for Sales? I haven't seen her mentioned that much besides Cam and whoever said she's been an All-Star basically forever... She is CONSISTENT.

mandih23

PostPosted: 04/27/06 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ryan2528 wrote:
Where's the love for Sales? I haven't seen her mentioned that much besides Cam and whoever said she's been an All-Star basically forever... She is CONSISTENT.

I GOT HER!!!

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/27/06 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

timber wrote:
Now had we been blessed with Spoon, Kym and Sue in their younger years to run with VJ, we'd have been set with a couple of rings and then we could make a comparison.

Don't pull that age stuff with me. Laughing We had Timms and Gillom. Gillom wasn't called Grandmama for the cookies she was baking.

Samaria

PostPosted: 04/27/06 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mandih23 wrote:

I tried to refrain from picking younger players because I think that in order to be on an All-Decade team a player should have played at least half of the decade, in my opinion, although I made an exception for Jackson because, well, because I'm not completely stupid!! Very Happy

I agree with that. And I especially don't like it when people count Taurasi in, she's played two years and while she's carried her team, hasn't carried them far enough to even the playoffs. Not to take anything away from Taurasi, great player, but she's one of the ones I just don't think should be on the team.

PostPosted: 04/27/06 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lilswin2003 wrote:
mandih23 wrote:

I agree with that. And I especially don't like it when people count Taurasi in, she's played two years and while she's carried her team, hasn't carried them far enough to even the playoffs. Not to take anything away from Taurasi, great player, but she's one of the ones I just don't think should be on the team.

Right, although I am a fan of Taurasi, I think that she should not be on the All-Decade team, I can see her on the nominations of 30 but not on the actual team, not yet. Although even on the nominations I can think of others who I feel should have been there.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 04/27/06 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mandih23 wrote:
although I made an exception for Jackson because, well, because I'm not completely stupid!! Very Happy

I think LJ's played five seasons (2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005). That's half a decade right there! I'd say that she's more than qualified to be on that list. Wink

Mathies to LA 2013
mandih23

PostPosted: 04/27/06 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
mandih23 wrote:
although I made an exception for Jackson because, well, because I'm not completely stupid!! Very Happy

I think LJ's played five seasons (2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005). That's half a decade right there! I'd say that she's more than qualified to be on that list. Wink

Ok,ok... maybe I am completely stupid- obviously I can't count!! lol Very Happy

suzy&dee103

PostPosted: 04/27/06 11:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone who votes for Bird & Taurasi needs to realize who started this league and why it's still around.

As for leaving Natalie Williams out, I'd take her over Holdsclaw just because Chamique isn't the all around player Nat was. Natalie was a dominant defensive post as well as a TEAM leader, not an individual "me, me, me" player like Mique'-depression problems or not.

PostPosted: 04/28/06 5:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

suzy&dee103 wrote:
Natalie was a dominant defensive post as well as a TEAM leader, not an individual "me, me, me" player like Mique'-depression problems or not.

That would explain why Williams's teams did so much better in the playoffs than The Claw's. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 04/28/06 7:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="CamrnCrz1974"][quote="timber"]Now had we been blessed with Spoon, Kym and Sue in their younger years to run with VJ, we'd have been set with a couple of rings and then we could make a comparison.[/quote]

Don't pull that age stuff with me. :lol: We had Timms and Gillom. Gillom wasn't called Grandmama for the cookies she was baking.[/quote]

Didn't you also have Cheryl Miller and Nancy Lieberman for a season too?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/28/06 7:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So here is a question:

Why is everyone so quick to include LJ over Catchings.

Over their careers, they have very similar scoring and rebounding numbers. LJ's team has had more success - two No. 1 draft picks and real coach will do that for you - but Catchings is much better at defense and has much better assist numbers.

Why is LJ rated so much higher than Catchings.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/28/06 7:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

She's got a ring and an MVP.

PostPosted: 04/28/06 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

And couldn't beat out Jackie Stiles for rookie of the year. So what?

pilight

PostPosted: 04/28/06 8:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Most people think MVP is a bigger deal than ROY.

PostPosted: 04/28/06 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

It's true, but it also points to consistency.

Like I have said earlier, this is a decade-long award, not a season award. Over the course of their careers, there is very little little difference in scoring (1 point) or rebounding (.1 rebound). Other facets of the game, there is a huge difference, but ones that pretty much even out.

Not saying LJ isn't deserving, but don't see her being obviously more deserving as plenty here are saying.

eyevolley4

PostPosted: 04/28/06 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Catchings VS. Jackson

The new AB/DT debate??? Wink

In terms of totals, Lauren has scored more points, played in more seasons, has an MVP, a championship, a significantly higher field goal percentage, especially as of late, more blocks, and more general success.

Tamika has higher rebounds per game, more assists, more steals, a DPOY award, a ROY award, more turnovers, and more 3 pointers.

I mean, I think there's at very least a really strong case for Lauren being better than Tamika, and it is definitely one I am buying into. Jackson has had a better career over 5 years than Tamika.

psheehy

PostPosted: 04/28/06 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

It's true, but it also points to consistency.

Like I have said earlier, this is a decade-long award, not a season award. Over the course of their careers, there is very little little difference in scoring (1 point) or rebounding (.1 rebound). Other facets of the game, there is a huge difference, but ones that pretty much even out.

Not saying LJ isn't deserving, but don't see her being obviously more deserving as plenty here are saying.

LJ could have won the ROY, but she had a higher bar to leap coming in than did Stiles. Stiles was a college standout, but LJ was billed as the greatest player in the world...she was expected to come to the worst team in the league and make them a contender...not merely add 4 wins while averaging 15p/6r/2b per game. As far as consistency...what does winning the ROY have to do with consistency?

MT_Swoopes

PostPosted: 04/28/06 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Catch and LJ lost out to Stiles. So, that is a push.

I love Catch too. I have since she played Robin to Mique's Batman during her freshman year at UT. I just think it's really hard to put her over a player who is the main reason her team won a WNBA championship and has virtually been an MVP or MVP runner-up almost every season she has been in the league. She only finished behind two women who go by the names of Leslie and Swoopes over the past two years.

cometsdrivefor5

PostPosted: 04/28/06 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is some of the players in the WNBA favorite choices...Pretty good company

http://www.wnba.com/history/players_alldecade06.html

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/28/06 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cometsdrivefor5 wrote:

Becky! No T-SPoon???? Shocked What up with that?

Genero36

PostPosted: 04/28/06 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
cometsdrivefor5 wrote:

Becky! No T-SPoon???? Shocked What up with that?

I know. She was pretty much on everyone else's list, but the consensus was clear. The big four and WNBA originals (Cooper, Leslie, Weatherspoon & Swoopes) are to be there. They left their mark over the last ten years (post and regular season).

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/28/06 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

barryi22 wrote:
Didn't you also have Cheryl Miller and Nancy Lieberman for a season too?

Cheryl was the coach. She wasn't playing.

ILuvCatch

PostPosted: 04/28/06 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MT_Swoopes wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Catch and LJ lost out to Stiles. So, that is a push.

I love Catch too. I have since she played Robin to Mique's Batman during her freshman year at UT. I just think it's really hard to put her over a player who is the main reason her team won a WNBA championship and has virtually been an MVP or MVP runner-up almost every season she has been in the league. She only finished behind two women who go by the names of Leslie and Swoopes over the past two years.

Catch did not lose at to Stiles. She won ROY. She has been the main reason the Fever have won all the games they have. She has also virtually been an MVP or runner-up almost every season she has been been in the league. Seattle getting another #1 pick helped win their title.

Catch has done more to promote the league (on her own) than Jackson. Point, set and match to Tamika!

-Tamika Catchings
MT_Swoopes

PostPosted: 04/28/06 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ILuvCatch wrote:
Catch did not lose at to Stiles. She won ROY. She has been the main reason the Fever have won all the games they have. She has also virtually been an MVP or runner-up almost every season she has been been in the league. Seattle getting another #1 pick helped win their title.

Catch has done more to promote the league (on her own) than Jackson. Point, set and match to Tamika!

My fault. Tamika was injured during the year she was drafted. We'll just have to wait to see who's named to the team this summer. Then it will be point, set and match.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: