View previous topic :: View next topic  
mb1

PostPosted: 05/04/16 3:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.hoopshots.com.au/2016-wnbl-offseason-tracker/

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/04/16 5:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks, mb1. I figure that might as well be the start of next season's thread.
A very handy resource kept up to date by our own hellcat.

PostPosted: 05/04/16 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kayla Standish returns to Fire for another championship tilt

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/sport/kayla-standish-returns-to-fire-for-another-championship-tilt/news-story/b76b87740b0ac8e699343cf5e1d4599e?nk=ddb69fcdbf40a6b0f32d74416ad61136-1462372132

Quote:
Standish played her last game for the Fire in the 2013/14 grand final, which the Fire lost to Bendigo, and spent the next year as a teacher’s aide before linking with Adelaide Lightning for 2015/16.

PostPosted: 05/13/16 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Team in crisis: Melbourne Boomers risk disbandment

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/olympics/rio-2016/team-in-crisis-melbourne-boomers-risk-disbandment-20160513-gouw3e.html

Quote:
Bulleen Templestowe Basketball Association, which has run an iconic WNBL team for 32 years and groomed international stars, has notified Basketball Australia it is formally turning in the licence.

PostPosted: 05/13/16 8:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/olympics/rio-2016/team-in-crisis-melbourne-boomers-risk-disbandment-20160513-gouw3e.html

Quote:
Bulleen Templestowe Basketball Association, which has run an iconic WNBL team for 32 years and groomed international stars, has notified Basketball Australia it is formally turning in the licence.

It seems like there is a WNBL team "in crisis" every off season (and sometimes during the season).

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/13/16 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

It seems like there is a WNBL team "in crisis" every off season (and sometimes during the season).

It does indeed, but it seems even worse than usual right now with SEQ dead, Adelaide still in the same trouble as a year ago, and now this with the Boomers.

PostPosted: 05/20/16 7:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bendigo Lady Braves sign former WNBA centre

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/3918266/lady-braves-sign-former-wnba-centre/

Quote:
The former college standout will arrive in Bendigo on Monday, not in time to take part in the Lady Braves week eight game against the Dandenong Rangers on Sunday

"She had a great college career at Duke University and is a quality player and a quality person," Goodman said.

PostPosted: 05/20/16 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/3918266/lady-braves-sign-former-wnba-centre/

Quote:
The former college standout will arrive in Bendigo on Monday, not in time to take part in the Lady Braves week eight game against the Dandenong Rangers on Sunday

"She had a great college career at Duke University and is a quality player and a quality person," Goodman said.

Just in case anyone gets confused, this is for the Bendigo team in one of the local leagues that runs in the WNBL offseason and not the Bendigo Spirit. It's good to see Chante back playing and I look forward to seeing her go against her former Duke teammate Kathleen Scheer.

Luuuc, do you know if there has ever been controversy about the Braves nickname or their logo? Also, are there any people in Australia who want the "Lady" designation dropped, especially for clubs that have men's and women's teams?

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/21/16 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Just in case anyone gets confused, this is for the Bendigo team in one of the local leagues that runs in the WNBL offseason and not the Bendigo Spirit. It's good to see Chante back playing and I look forward to seeing her go against her former Duke teammate Kathleen Scheer.

Luuuc, do you know if there has ever been controversy about the Braves nickname or their logo? Also, are there any people in Australia who want the "Lady" designation dropped, especially for clubs that have men's and women's teams?

I really don't follow the SEABL competition or interact much with people who do, so I'm not sure.
It's a weird nickname for an aussie team, but I'm not aware of any controversy over it. There are probably about 3 Native Americans in Australia and about 0.01% of the aussie population follows women's SEABL basketball, so that's a pretty small intersection on the Venn Diagram of people likely to be both aware and offended enough to bother trying to get it changed.

PostPosted: 05/24/16 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lauren Jackson to the rescue for Melbourne Boomers

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/3927272/lauren-jackson-to-the-rescue-for-melbourne-boomers/

Quote:
The Melbourne Boomers have been saved from ruin with freshly retired basketball superstar Lauren Jackson playing a pivotal role in a private takeover bid.

PostPosted: 06/09/16 12:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

(Perth) Lynx sign WNBA centre Ruth Hamblin

Quote:
The Perth Lynx are excited to announce that WNBA player Ruth Hamblin has been signed as an import for the 2016/17 WNBL season.

Hamblin was selected 18th overall pick in April's WNBA Draft and is playing her rookie season for the Dallas Wings.

The 21-year-old centre stands at 198cm and is thrilled to be joining the Perth Lynx.

“I can’t think of a better team to go over and join, especially in my rookie season. It seems like a very well-run organisation, the coaches are great and the team dynamic looks excellent. I’m psyched to get over there,” said Hamblin.

“I consider myself a strong low-post presence. I’m very strong and physical under the basket. I certainly have a team-focused mindset and I’ll bring plenty of energy.

“I’ll be looking to expand my game as much as possible during the current WNBA season and with the Lynx, particularly on the offensive end.”

Ruth Hamblin played college basketball for Oregon State.

In her senior season with the Beavers in 2015/16, she averaged a double-double with 11.8 points and 10.0 rebounds per game.

She shot the ball at 55 per cent from the field and on the defensive end is a nightmare for opposition scorers – averaging 3.5 blocks per game on her way to setting the Pac-12 record for career rejections.

Her list of college accolades also includes being named the Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year.

She holds the OSU career-rebounding record (1,027), after pulling down a single-season record of 370 in her senior year.

In a title game against UCLA in January, she grabbed a phenomenal 23 rebounds (OSU record-tying) while scoring 20 points.

Perth Lynx coach Andy Stewart said she will bring a lot of physicality to the team.

“We wanted to get a post-player with good height and presence under the hoop,” he said.

“I watched her play in Dallas and chatted with her afterwards and she seems like a really good person and a great fit for this basketball team – both on and off the court.

“Her skill level will certainly allow her to finish for us under the hoop, while her shot-blocking and rebounding ability won’t go astray. We wanted as much of an all-round player as we could get.”

Ruth Hamblin joins Tessa Lavey, Natalie Burton, Carley Mijovic, Sami Whitcomb and Toni Edmondson on the 2016/17 Perth Lynx roster.

PostPosted: 06/30/16 7:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fire sign American import Natasha Cloud

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/sport/fire-sign-american-import-natasha-cloud/news-story/aff655e8b5c38bef750ccb78e3880f69

Quote:
The Fire has a great tradition and legacy, so I’m excited to be a part of not only the team but the small knit community as well.

PostPosted: 07/24/16 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Brydens Sydney Uni Flames have added the first piece of international flavour to the 2016/17 roster with American centre Jennifer Hamson signing with the club for the season

http://wnbl.com.au/hamson-a-slam-dunk-for-the-flames/

PostPosted: 07/24/16 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Other notable signings that happened while I was away:

Marianna Tolo -> Canberra Capitals [Link]

Chante Black -> Melbourne Boomers [Link]

Monica Wright -> Perth Lynx [Link]

PostPosted: 07/24/16 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

Monica Wright -> Perth Lynx [Link]

I love how they were able to use old photos of her in a Lynx jersey.

PostPosted: 07/26/16 12:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sam Logic -> Adelaide Lightning [Link]

Quote:
Mitchell, who made a huge impact here, has been tipped to play in Europe next season.
“Leilani just wasn’t within out budget,” Lucas said.
Adelaide’s other point guard target, local superstar and Rio-bound Olympian Erin Phillips, also will not be part of Lightning’s starting team.
“We’ve been in contact with Erin and unfortunately she has WNBA commitments at her new club,” Lucas said, Phillips switching this year from LA Sparks to Dallas Wings.
“She’s going to be doing some promotional work for Dallas and is committed up to Christmas this year.

PostPosted: 07/26/16 1:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Promotional work for Dallas? Yeah, promote Dallas to Cambage. Most important job out there.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/04/16 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Schedule has just been released for the 2016/17 WNBL season.

http://wnbl.com.au/wnbl-fixture-for-201617-released/

The playoffs are now a standard 3-game semi final series. followed by a 3-game grand final series.

PostPosted: 08/10/16 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jazmon Gwathmey -> Canberra Capitals

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/wnbl-canberra-capitals-sign-wnba-guard-jazmon-gwathmey-from-san-antonio-20160810-gqp1rr.html

Quote:
"I wasn't being too picky. I think [Canberra] were the first team to really send an offer and I just took it. I wasn't being too picky."

LOL

PostPosted: 08/12/16 7:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liz Cambage to play in the WNBL this season?

Quote:
Cambage is keen to remain in Melbourne with her mother after an exhausting Rio campaign involving Asian and European camps.

elizabeth-cambage-will-return-to-australia-to-play-in-wnbl-after-rio-olympics

PostPosted: 08/12/16 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Liz Cambage to play in the WNBL this season?

Quote:
Cambage is keen to remain in Melbourne with her mother after an exhausting Rio campaign involving Asian and European camps.

elizabeth-cambage-will-return-to-australia-to-play-in-wnbl-after-rio-olympics

It seems Liz is easily exhausted :O

I'll be curious to see Monica Wright play. I thought she showed a lot of promise in Minny.

PostPosted: 09/13/16 4:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not quite WNBL related;

Crows sign Erin Phillips

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2016-09-13/crows-sign-erin-phillips

PostPosted: 09/13/16 6:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

soyouthink wrote:
Not quite WNBL related;

Crows sign Erin Phillips

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2016-09-13/crows-sign-erin-phillips

Oh wow. I saw that headline somewhere but until I just clicked now, I had just assumed it was to play at some future time, not the inaugural season.
I also didn't realise that the season would finish so early in the year (by the end of March), so that works out pretty nicely for Erin.

PostPosted: 09/29/16 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One week until tip-off down here in the WNBL

Your ultimate guide to the 2016/17 WNBL season
http://pickandroll.com.au/ultimate-guide-201617-wnbl-season/

PostPosted: 10/04/16 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another nice WNBL season preview:
No missing Lynx - WNBL Preview

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: