RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Minnesota Lynx 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/02/16 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
I wonder why the Lynx didn't try to get Shoni though.

Because they already have a backup PG that cant defend to save her life..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 05/02/16 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't say Shoni can't defend to save her life.

PostPosted: 05/02/16 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Str8_Butta wrote:

And this is coming from Sue Bird's biggest fan Wink

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
blaase22

PostPosted: 05/02/16 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
blaase22 wrote:

I don't care, we could have used some offense and three point shooting.
I am getting tired of the Liberty getting useful and star players for nothing those lucky bastards Laughing Laughing

justintyme

PostPosted: 05/03/16 12:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
blaase22 wrote:

I don't care, we could have used some offense and three point shooting.
I am getting tired of the Liberty getting useful and star players for nothing those lucky bastards Laughing Laughing

Look what Cooper said/did with Shoni. Could you imagine Reeve in this situation? Reeve who tolerates no bullshit at all? The Cooper doghouse has nothing on what it would have been like in Reeve's.

PostPosted: 05/03/16 5:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Str8_Butta wrote:

And this is coming from Sue Bird's biggest fan Wink

I know and thats a big part why Montgomery didnt work out in Seattle.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
pilight

PostPosted: 05/03/16 7:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Perkins had to grow up fast

http://www.startribune.com/at-age-34-new-lynx-player-bringing-good-game-and-great-maturity/377895481/

Quote:
Afraid to broach the subject of her pregnancy with either her parents or her coach, Perkins was afraid if she stopped playing basketball she would lose her scholarship.

Id heard that if you make it to a certain point of the season you get to keep your full scholarship, she said. So I kept playing until the cutoff date I had set in my mind.

PostPosted: 05/03/16 7:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

http://www.startribune.com/at-age-34-new-lynx-player-bringing-good-game-and-great-maturity/377895481/

Quote:
Afraid to broach the subject of her pregnancy with either her parents or her coach, Perkins was afraid if she stopped playing basketball she would lose her scholarship.

Id heard that if you make it to a certain point of the season you get to keep your full scholarship, she said. So I kept playing until the cutoff date I had set in my mind.

I have to wonder if a man coach would of taking the chance that Coach Reeve and her coaching staff took.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/03/16 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:

I have to wonder if a man coach would of taking the chance that Coach Reeve and her coaching staff took.

If you mean drafting her with the Sting, it was a third round pick - one of those low risk/high reward kind of chances. Sort of like NY just did with Schimmel.

- Amanda Gorman
pilight

PostPosted: 05/03/16 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Reeve was an assistant with the Sting at the time. Trudi Lacey was the head coach and GM who took the chance on Perkins.

As for whether a male coach would have done so, I'm hesitant to make generalizations about male coaches. I'm sure there are some who would, just as I'm sure there are female coaches who wouldn't.

PostPosted: 05/03/16 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lynx waive Kaili McLaren

PostPosted: 05/03/16 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
UofDel_Alum wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Reeve was an assistant with the Sting at the time. Trudi Lacey was the head coach and GM who took the chance on Perkins.

As for whether a male coach would have done so, I'm hesitant to make generalizations about male coaches. I'm sure there are some who would, just as I'm sure there are female coaches who wouldn't.

Which option would you rate Geno?

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/03/16 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Lynx waive Kaili McLaren

shocking...

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 05/06/16 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Lynx waive Nika Baric and Courtney Clements

blaase22

PostPosted: 05/06/16 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whats going on with Courtney Williams? She didn't play at all in yesterdays game and still hasn't been waived? Question

Randy

PostPosted: 05/06/16 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Whats going on with Courtney Williams? She didn't play at all in yesterdays game and still hasn't been waived? Question

Her suspension was indefinite. Maybe she can't play till she's unsuspended. Razz

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 05/06/16 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:

I don't even know if she made the trip, so maybe she had some conflict that she couldn't make the first preseason game, but I don't know what.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/07/16 3:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Former Gopher Janel McCarville to rejoin Lynx

http://www.startribune.com/former-gopher-janel-mccarville-to-rejoin-lynx/378489886/

Quote:
Center Janel McCarville will accompany the Lynx to Rochester, Minn., on Saturday and sign a contract there, officially rejoining the team she once played for. She and the Lynx will then take part in a joint practice with Washington and there is a chance she could see limited action in the teams preseason finale against the Mystics on Sunday in Rochester.

Quote:
Meanwhile, the Lynx trimmed their roster by waiving guards Nika Baric and Courtney Clements.

I don't understand why the Lynx don't cut the rest of the excess forwards on the team (Roberts and Hampton), unless they're waiting to actually get McCarville's signature.

Whalen/Montgomery
Augustus/Perkins/(Wallace or Williams)
Moore/
Brunson/Howard/Graves
Fowles/McCarville

I'm guessing 11 is all they can afford with this veteran-ladened roster.
Landing McCarville makes the Howard trade look like genius instead of clumsiness.

zune69

PostPosted: 05/07/16 4:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope the signing of Mccarville doesn't come at the expense of Graves becoming a rotation player.She has great upside and can be a key contributor off the bench.

blaase22

PostPosted: 05/07/16 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
I hope the signing of Mccarville doesn't come at the expense of Graves becoming a rotation player.She has great upside and can be a key contributor off the bench.

Exclamation

Totally agree, she can be better than Peters IMO.

justintyme

PostPosted: 05/07/16 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Exclamation

Knowing Reeve, I would bet that Graves' playing time is going to depend most of all on Graves. If a player practices hard and plays hard and smart in the minutes they are given (especially on defense), they get minutes. In a perfect world I am sure Reeve would love to limit the minutes of JMac, Fowles, and Brunson. Earn her trust and those minutes are available. Don't win it and the bench gets shorter.

PostPosted: 05/07/16 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Exclamation

Now that Peters no longer is on the Lynx, I'm predicting she's going to be defensive player of the year, most improved player, perennial All-WNBA & MVP-candidate and lead the Fever to multiple championships since she'll no longer have the Lynx holding her back.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/08/16 2:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nine of 11 Lynx roster spots appear to be set

http://m.startribune.com/nine-of-11-lynx-roster-spots-appear-to-be-set/378529005

Quote:
With Janel McCarville having passed her physical and signed on for the season she practiced Saturday and could play Sunday and with Seimone Augustus and Rebekkah Brunson expected back in Minnesota in the coming days, it appears nine of the team's 11-player roster spots are set:

 Starters: Maya Moore, Lindsay Whalen, Sylvia Fowles, Brunson and Augustus.

 Backups: center McCarville, guards Jia Perkins and Renee Montgomery and power forward Natasha Howard.

Center Porsha Roberts, small forward Keisha Hampton and power forward Bashaara Graves are apparently competing for the final two roster spots. All three will get extended playing time Sunday. Guard Sydney Wallace has had a very good camp and has shown some impressive athletic ability. But it would be difficult for her to crack the top 11.

This author seems to be implying everything in this article is his opinion, but he seems to be heavily guided. I don't think he'd come up with a roster size of 11 on his own. I'm curious though why Wallace would be thought of as out of the running. It's not like Maya ever needs a proper backup, as proven by the scant minutes given to SW. The 11 could be 5 guards, 5 posts, and Maya. No mention of Williams. Was she secretly cut or did the author forget about her?

Quote:
Drafted in the second round with the 22nd overall pick, Graves has impressed the coaches with her defense.

"When you come in as a rookie and defend the pick and roll, that's big," Reeve said. "Her defense is very instinctive. There is trust there."

Quote:
She has done well in practice, but was plagued by fouls in Thursday's preseason victory over the New York Liberty, picking up six in 10 minutes.

"Keisha didn't do well [Thursday]," Reeve said. "All she did was foul. Sunday is about her showing us she has some intelligence about her game."

toad455

PostPosted: 05/08/16 5:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

it's likely due to cap space for the Lynx to only carry 11 players. Should be Graves & possibly Hampton.

PG: Whalen/Montgomery
SG: Augustus/Perkins
SF: Moore/Hampton
PF: Brunson/Howard/Graves
C: Fowles/McCarville

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 05/08/16 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb

http://www.theolympian.com/sports/article76418757.html

Quote:
For all the games they've won, for all the trophies that reside in Target Center thanks to them, for all the sponsorship dollars that have been generated on the heels of their success, the one thing the Lynx have yet to do is repeat as champions.

"I'm not going to shy away from the idea that this group deserves to have on their resume, their legacy, that we were repeat champions," Reeve said. "They deserve to have that. So I'm not going to shy away from that publicly and I'm not going to shy away from that internally. It's something that we're going to go after with everything we have."

No team has repeated in the WNBA since the Los Angeles Sparks in 2002.

Quote:
Four of the Lynx players Moore, Augustus, Fowles and Whalen will be playing on the Olympic team in Rio in August, which increases Reeve's desire to limit their minutes as much as possible early in the season. The ability to keep them fresh for the stretch run could make all the difference in their quest to repeat.

Quote:
If the Lynx are able to finally check that box, to become the first team in 14 years to repeat, Reeve isn't ready to say that will be the crowning achievement.

Of course, it won't be the "last mountain". If they win this season, then the next mountain will be the historic 5th championship, or a historic three-peat, however you want to look at it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 20 of 26

Jump to: