RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Alternative Women's Olympic Squad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 04/29/16 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

I don't know how much sense it makes, given that the Olympics is meant to be all about the very best of the best,

Just talking about women's basketball, if the Olympics was _just_ all about the very best of the best, the participants would be almost exclusively from America - the concept of teams formed via nationality of the players would be eliminated. Same with other team sports and with the individual sports they would remove the limit of 3 participants per country. Because of the political/country nature of it and how an Olympic medal is elevated above a world championship medal, I think it is appropriate to limit contestants to one gold medal. After that they would still have the world championships for attaining multiple first place awards.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/29/16 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vandersloot
Robinson
Diggins
Prince
McBride
Coleman
Bonner
Della Donne
Dupree
Pierson
Griner
Lavender

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/30/16 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

I don't know how much sense it makes, given that the Olympics is meant to be all about the very best of the best,

Just talking about women's basketball, if the Olympics was _just_ all about the very best of the best, the participants would be almost exclusively from America - the concept of teams formed via nationality of the players would be eliminated. Same with other team sports and with the individual sports they would remove the limit of 3 participants per country. Because of the political/country nature of it and how an Olympic medal is elevated above a world championship medal, I think it is appropriate to limit contestants to one gold medal. After that they would still have the world championships for attaining multiple first place awards.

Do you mean limit to one gold medal per person regardless of sport, one gold medal per person only for team sports, or just for USA Basketball. If you just mean one per person regardless of sports, that is going to be hard to regulate as you have multiple sport athletes, and some sports you have multiple medals, like in gymnastics are all the people on the gold medal winning team prohibited from competing in any of the individual finals, or in swimming if you qualify for 3 finals before you swim any finals, if you win gold in the 1st do you automatically withdraw from the other event finals. Or how about multi sport athletes, say Natalie Williams made the volleyball team and they won gold, would she be prohibited from switching over to basketball and play on the National Team like she did after her volleyball career ended.

Edited to add: btw I don't like the theory that a person could be a 3-4-5 time Olympian as long as they don't win gold or win a medal, but if they win gold or a medal (depending on whatever rule is used) they can only be a one time Olympian.

Last edited by GEF34 on 04/30/16 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
GEF34

PostPosted: 04/30/16 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Vandersloot
Robinson
Diggins
Prince
McBride
Coleman
Bonner
Della Donne
Dupree
Pierson
Griner
Lavender

If all are healthy (and eligible) I like that team, a great group of guards, I'd like to see skylar Diggins and Courtney Vandersloot in the same backcourt, I think they would be fun to watch together, and good scoring from the forwards, and there are a few older players to provide some leadership, and Jantel can give some good minutes in the post while Brittney Griner gets a break.

I still like the team I listed earlier Wink , but if that were the USA Team going to Rio I'd look forward to watching them.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/30/16 1:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

C: Stefanie Dolson, Kiah Stokes
F: Breanna Stewart, Morgan Tuck, Gabby Williams, Napheesa Collier
W: Katie Lou Samuelson, Kaleena-Mosqueda Lewis
G: Bria Hartley, Moriah Jefferson, Kelly Faris, Kia Nurse

All played on the same college team(s) as Breanna Stewart.

I'm not sure this team wins the gold at the Olympics but, coached by Geno Auriemma, it beats the average (6th out of 12) WNBA team Washington Mystics.
GEF34

PostPosted: 04/30/16 1:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
G: Bria Hartley, Moriah Jefferson, Kelly Faris, Saniya Chong

I'm not sure this team wins the gold at the Olympics but, coached by Geno Auriemma, it beats the average (6th out of 12) WNBA team Washington Mystics.

So who does Washington get to replace those 2 player with for this hypothetical match up...

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/30/16 2:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

So who does Washington get to replace those 2 player with for this hypothetical match up...

Washington's 2015 team gets to have Dolson and Hartley also. All healthy. I say the remainder of the Stewart teammate squad is better than the remainder of the Mystics, plus they have a better offensive and defensive coach in Auriemma.

Note that I edited out Saniya Chong for Kia Nurse, a Stewart teammate and Canadian Olympian whom I had somehow forgotten.
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/30/16 2:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4 years in the W or less team, not including members of the current Olympic team, or players yet to play in the W.

Sims/C. Gray
Diggins/Bentley/Loyd
McBride/A. Thomas
N. Ogwumike/C. Ogwumike/Dolson
Bone/Stokes

Last edited by J-Spoon on 04/30/16 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
GEF34

PostPosted: 04/30/16 2:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Washington's 2015 team gets to have Dolson and Hartley also. All healthy. I say the remainder of the Stewart teammate squad is better than the remainder of the Mystics, plus they have a better offensive and defensive coach in Auriemma.

Note that I edited out Saniya Chong for Kia Nurse, a Stewart teammate and Canadian Olympian whom I had somehow forgotten.

Now I'm confused and what you are trying to say...how would these 2 teams play to see who is actually better if 2 people are playing for both teams, or if you saying that is the Olympic team how would that be possible when Kia Nurse is not eligible.

btw Kia Nurse is not an Olympian yet Wink

pilight

PostPosted: 04/30/16 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's a lot of dominos here. The 1976 team would be the same, of course, since that was the first time WBB was contested at the Olympics. We boycotted 1980, so that doesn't count. The 1984 team would also be the same, since none of the 1976 team was back for those games. 1988 has no Anne Donovan or Teresa Edwards, and we go from there.

PostPosted: 04/30/16 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Awesome post pilight.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/30/16 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is it just me or does that take anyone else's breath away?

PostPosted: 04/30/16 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
There's a lot of dominos here. The 1976 team would be the same, of course, since that was the first time WBB was contested at the Olympics. We boycotted 1980, so that doesn't count. The 1984 team would also be the same, since none of the 1976 team was back for those games. 1988 has no Anne Donovan or Teresa Edwards, and we go from there.

I want to visit the parallel universe where VJ and Tari were Olympians in Sydney, and then Becky and Crystal were Olympians in Athens.

(now with spelling variations)
tfan

PostPosted: 04/30/16 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
tfan wrote:
. Because of the political/country nature of it and how an Olympic medal is elevated above a world championship medal, I think it is appropriate to limit contestants to one gold medal. After that they would still have the world championships for attaining multiple first place awards.

Do you mean limit to one gold medal per person regardless of sport, one gold medal per person only for team sports, or just for USA Basketball. If you just mean one per person regardless of sports, that is going to be hard to regulate as you have multiple sport athletes, and some sports you have multiple medals, like in gymnastics are all the people on the gold medal winning team prohibited from competing in any of the individual finals, or in swimming if you qualify for 3 finals before you swim any finals, if you win gold in the 1st do you automatically withdraw from the other event finals. Or how about multi sport athletes, say Natalie Williams made the volleyball team and they won gold, would she be prohibited from switching over to basketball and play on the National Team like she did after her volleyball career ended.

If you win a gold medal you are out of the Olympics. Win gold in the gymnastics balance beam, and you don't get to compete in the gymnastics uneven bars later that day.

Quote:

Edited to add: btw I don't like the theory that a person could be a 3-4-5 time Olympian as long as they don't win gold or win a medal, but if they win gold or a medal (depending on whatever rule is used) they can only be a one time Olympian.

Yeah, that is an issue. There could be other disqualifiers. Two non-gold medals and you're done. Maximum of two Olympics for any medal winner. Or it could be maximum of one Olympics per competitor.

5thmantheme

PostPosted: 04/30/16 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like this team, via Chi Sky twitter.
Might have to play a zone against the Russians (wink).
Bonus points for cuteness.

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/30/16 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
tfan wrote:
. Because of the political/country nature of it and how an Olympic medal is elevated above a world championship medal, I think it is appropriate to limit contestants to one gold medal. After that they would still have the world championships for attaining multiple first place awards.

If you win a gold medal you are out of the Olympics. Win gold in the gymnastics balance beam, and you don't get to compete in the gymnastics uneven bars later that day.

Quote:

Yeah, that is an issue. There could be other disqualifiers. Two non-gold medals and you're done. Maximum of two Olympics for any medal winner. Or it could be maximum of one Olympics per competitor.

You wouldn't be afraid of "lowering" the competition? I don't mean by bringing in alternate gymnasts to replace the gold medal winners, I mean gymnasts qualifying for an event and not competing at their best because they want to win gold in another event.

BTW the Uneven Bars Finals takes place on Day 2 of Event Finals and Balance Beam Finals take place on Day 3 of Event Finals. Wink

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/30/16 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Very nice, I like the 2000 and 2008 teams you have and I would have liked to see Nikki Teasley in 2004.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/01/16 7:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Very nice, I like the 2000 and 2008 teams you have and I would have liked to see Nikki Teasley in 2004.

The 2000 team is potentially disastrous. Nell Fortner might not have been able to control Planet Reed. There's also a distinct lack of size inside (Wolters notwithstanding). If Claw got hurt, as she did historically, they could have lost to Lauren Jackson and company in Sydney.

PostPosted: 05/01/16 7:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For those of you who have made up teams for this year, it looks like you've taken the 12 best players available under these rules. No concerns about saving, say, Chiney or a recuperating Skylar or Stewart until 2020? They are all likely to be better then than they are now.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/01/16 7:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
For those of you who have made up teams for this year, it looks like you've taken the 12 best players available under these rules. No concerns about saving, say, Chiney or a recuperating Skylar or Stewart until 2020? They are all likely to be better then than they are now.

I left Chiney off of 2016 due to her injury recovery. Thought about leaving off Diggins also, but felt like we needed another shooter. Could sub in someone like Alex Bentley if she's not 100%.

PostPosted: 05/01/16 8:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
pilight wrote:

The 2000 team is potentially disastrous. Nell Fortner might not have been able to control Planet Reed. There's also a distinct lack of size inside (Wolters notwithstanding). If Claw got hurt, as she did historically, they could have lost to Lauren Jackson and company in Sydney.

I assumed you had selected Wolters purely because she was in fact selected, and would have been eligible under these one-and-done conditions, and therefore you were stuck with her. If picking on merit I'm guessing you would have gone in a different direction (likely addecting subsequent teams in the process, but still..)

Great work putting that all together.
Even with the selection restrictions it's highly likely to have remained a clean sweep of golds throughout the WNBA era.

PostPosted: 05/01/16 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
pilight wrote:

I agree there are a few factors that don't make that team a guaranteed gold medal team, but with players like Tina Thompson, Katie Smith and Shannon Johnson I think they could provide enough leadership for the team. The X factor would be Chamique Holdsclaw's healthy, as she would be a much needed player on the team as constructed, but assuming she was 100% healthy I think this team is as good as any that competed in the 2000 Olympics. It certainly would have been a fun match up with Australia, and probably Russia and Brazil as well.

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/01/16 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

In my opinion if all are healthy I think they should go in 2016, under the rules as given at the start. Well it is possible they are all better, there is no guarantee of it, and just like they were injured in 2015 there is no reason to assume they will automatically be healthy and able to play in 2020. I'd rather send the best team that can be constructed at the time and include those 3 players than "save" those players for the future when there is no guarantee they will be there in the future. When Chiney was in college she said she wants to get her MBA and run her own business, if that is still something she wants to do, she may decide not to continue playing basketball when 2020 comes around. Of course I have no idea what her current mind set it, but that could still be something she is thinking about.

And another reason I put her on the team was because I thought it would be cool for her and Nneka to play in the Olympics together.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/23/16 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With the injuries to McBride and Williams, I am replacing them with Tiffany Hayes and Jewell Loyd for 2016.

PostPosted: 06/21/21 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Updating for the 2021 squad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: