Board Junkies Forums

2017 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 04/07/16 6:39 pm    ::: 2017 WNBA Mock Draft Reply Reply with quote

Draftsite.com has a first round up for 2017 WNBA Draft

http://www.draftsite.com/wnba/mock-draft/2017/

Some guy named Gentry Worthington has been doing these for Draftsite.com. I think he comes from the SEA fan base. I agree about DeShields declaring early. She fits the mold. I'm not too focused on this draft yet to get too mad at anything yet. His draft order projections are pretty feasible. I'm a little skeptical at this point about Cooper as a first rounder, and certainly not above Jones.

Prominent eligibles:
Lexie Brown
Jordin Canada
Rebekah Dahlman (if she improves)
Kaela Davis
Diamond DeShields
Allisha Gray
Rebecca Greenwell
Kelsey Mitchell
Jamie Nared
Mercedes Russell
Victoria Vivians
(Any underclassman born in 1995)

2017 1st Round Order
1. San Antonio
2. Chicago (via Washington)
3. Dallas
4. Dallas (via Los Angeles)
5. San Antonio (via Phoenix)
6. Washington (via Seattle)
7. Atlanta
8. Indiana
9. Chicago
10. Dallas (via New York)
11. Los Angeles (via Dallas)
12. Minnesota

Last edited by Shades on 02/17/17 3:23 pm; edited 7 times in total
Lib Fan

PostPosted: 04/07/16 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Might this be a tad early ?

toad455

PostPosted: 04/07/16 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

by doing this, he's also predicted his standings for 2016.

EAST
1. New York
2. Connecticut
3. Chicago
4. Indiana
5. Washington
6. Atlanta

WEST
1. Phoenix
2. Los Angeles
3. Minnesota
4. Dallas
5. Seattle
6. San Antonio

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Queenie

PostPosted: 04/07/16 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Way too early, but I still don't want Cooper. Seems like every time I heard her name last season it had to do with her being a jackass.

(now with spelling variations)
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/07/16 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Weise homecoming to Phoenix would make her very happy I'm sure.

- Amanda Gorman
colt13

PostPosted: 04/07/16 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
Might this be a tad early ?

It is, but I will admit my sleeper for next year is Ellen Nystrom from Colorado State aka the one who is breaking Becky Hammon's records.

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/07/16 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's relevant in a general way. If you're thinking of packaging picks to use in a trade or if you're a team that has a crowded roster and you're considering swapping this year's pick for one next season, then it's good to know the overall quality of the 2017 draft class. I put together a quick and dirty list of 30 players recently, and my initial take is that the 2017 draft will be similar to 2016 -- minus the one superstar. There will be interesting players all the way down to the 3rd Round, but there aren't likely to be people who generate a huge amount of excitement.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/10/16 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Scaife is good. Very good.

PostPosted: 06/09/16 12:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Eager beaver bump

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 06/09/16 9:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If San Antonio gets the #1 pick, they better draft Coates. Appel's on her way out.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/09/16 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
If San Antonio gets the #1 pick, they better draft Coates. Appel's on her way out.

I'm not clear on why Coates would be ahead of Maryland's Jones, much less nine spots ahead.

Well, we (and the teams) get another full year of watching them before they need to decide.

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/09/16 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

I'm not clear on why Coates would be ahead of Maryland's Jones, much less nine spots ahead.

Well, we (and the teams) get another full year of watching them before they need to decide.

agreed

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 06/09/16 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

...and unless something major changes Nina Davis is not a first round pick. She's way too small for the PF and hasn't shown any kind of a shot for a SF.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 06/09/16 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

They're probably hoping to get the #2 pick so they don't have to decide between DeShields and Coates. With #1, maybe they go DeShields and wait for Wilson in 2018. SAN is going to be down awhile so they can plan ahead like that.

What's a better combination, Coates and Kelsey Mitchell or DeShields and Wilson?

Shades

PostPosted: 06/09/16 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
...and unless something major changes Nina Davis is not a first round pick. She's way too small for the PF and hasn't shown any kind of a shot for a SF.

No way she's not a first rounder. Mark this post, myrtle.

Your reasoning isn't that bad, but this isn't a great draft and Davis is one of the top college talents. She has unquestionable hustle. Somebody definitely takes a shot at her in the first round.

With Mulkey adding starter quality Cox to her lineup, and improvement coming from her freshman bigs, Davis will definitely have to earn her keep at the SF. I anticipate Mulkey has given Davis instructions on what to work on in the offseason.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 06/09/16 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:

They're probably hoping to get the #2 pick so they don't have to decide between DeShields and Coates. With #1, maybe they go DeShields and wait for Wilson in 2018. SAN is going to be down awhile so they can plan ahead like that.

What's a better combination, Coates and Kelsey Mitchell or DeShields and Wilson?

I know she had she an injury, but I'll have to see how well DeShields plays in a halfcourt offense. From what I've seen, there were times she looked rather average and others where she looked great. Could just be the team she's on? Coates isn't that great offensively yet, that can be learned but I'm not sure she'll be taken first. I'd rather DeShields. But, in our offense she would have to play the 3 in order to start. If SA gets the first pick, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to trade it for a good offer.

I also think Wiese is going to surprise some and have a solid senior campaign stats wise, wouldn't be surprised to see her go a little bit higher than 12.

Randy

PostPosted: 06/09/16 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree about SA might make a trade (should the lottery actually give them the first pick.). Diamond may stay another year, though I'd guess its reasonable to think she might come out. She hasn't really impressed me that much though and SA already has a good trio in Robinson, McBride and Jefferson. They have far greater needs than she can fill.

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/09/16 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So the Coates-Jones comparison is interesting:

Coates: 63.4% shooting, 56.3% FT, 10.1 rpg, 31/50 A/TO, 43 blocks
Jones: 66.5% shooting, 63.5% FT, 9.8 rpg, 39/84 A/TO, 40 blocks

So Jones shoots it a little better but turns it over a bit more.

The only thing that I get from the eye test is that Coates looks longer as well as taller -- that is, I think she's close to the 6-4 she's listed at, and has a wide wingspan. Jones doesn't look to be 6-3, and doesn't have those long arms.

Coates looks like she can gain strength as time goes on, and Jones looked a little soft, so there may be weight issues.

I would go with Coates because of size, I think, but really, there's not much to choose here. Steak or ice cream ...

PostPosted: 06/09/16 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:

No way she's not a first rounder. Mark this post, myrtle.

Your reasoning isn't that bad, but this isn't a great draft and Davis is one of the top college talents. She has unquestionable hustle. Somebody definitely takes a shot at her in the first round.

With Mulkey adding starter quality Cox to her lineup, and improvement coming from her freshman bigs, Davis will definitely have to earn her keep at the SF. I anticipate Mulkey has given Davis instructions on what to work on in the offseason.

I could see her getting picked late in the first, but I see her having a hard time making a roster as a 5' 10ish wing with no type of outside shot.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 08/10/16 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Isn't Rebecca Greenwell eligible for this draft?

Shades

PostPosted: 08/10/16 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:

I wouldn't think so unless she was born in 1995.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 08/10/16 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:

Just checked her Duke bio. Born in Feburary 27, 1995. This is her redshirt senior year.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/10/16 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Shades wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:

Just checked her Duke bio. Born in Feburary 27, 1995. This is her redshirt senior year.

Okay, I guess so, but how excited should people be about this?
Liston proved that she could shoot in the WNBA. Still no respek.
Why Greenwell?

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 08/10/16 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Shades wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:

Actually she's a redshirt junior, senior academically. There is no way in the world she stays at Duke. Only question is whether she wants a year of paid grad school somewhere else before going to the WNBA. Think of Greenwell like Karima Christmas: you have no way of knowing how she'll do in the WNBA by looking at her Duke stats. Becca's been forced into a variety of roles based on players not sticking at Duke. This year, Duke will be very thin in the post so Becca might be nudged into playing some PF. She's as suited for PF as she is for PG, which means she's neither a PG nor PF. She's excellent at the wing, if she ever gets to play there. NOTE: she did play wing this past season, but the team was imploding so not much can be learned from this. Both Azura' Stevens and Angela Salvadores were completely and thoroughly miserable - and they're not the only ones. Lexie Brown was really the only truly happy player on the roster - and she wasn't playing in games. Becca is one of those Duke players who stayed to get the Duke degree. She won't be playing for McCallie for even one second after getting that degree. Take that to the bank.

I hope that I'm done receiving snarky remarks after posting about the extreme misery at Duke. If I post it, I know it's true. Period. Regarding the coach remaining at Duke, the only thing we know is JPM had a top of the line lawyer negotiating her air tight contract. We also know this contract is sending the DWB program down the tubes and dragging the quality of play of other teams down with it - due to Duke not helping other teams improve by putting them on their schedule.

~rAf
root_thing

PostPosted: 08/10/16 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Greenwell is a better athlete than Liston -- although not as good a shooter. Still, what held Liston back was her defense. Greenwell is quicker and more fluid, which gives her a better chance to defend at the next level. Whether she's a 1st Round pick is another story. I actually see next year's player pool as being similar to this year's draft minus Stewart. A lot of interesting players, but all of them flawed and sort of bunched up together at this point. We'll just have to see who steps forward and distinguishes herself during the season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 1 of 73

Jump to: