RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Why WNBA MVP Elena Delle Donne wants to lower the rims
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 03/30/16 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"The game hasn't grown as much as it should in the last 10 years and much of the old guard doesn't want to hear it," Auriemma said Monday after taping "Beyond The Beat," which airs Tuesday on CPTV Sports. "In 2002, we played the Final Four in front of 30,000 at the Alamodome in San Antonio. "Now, 10 years later [2011], we [the women's Final Four] can't sell out the Conseco Field House [in Indianapolis]? So how much has the game possibly improved, in terms of how badly people want to see it?"

Quote:
The WNBA announced on Wednesday that Lisa Borders will become the fourth league president.

Quote:
The WNBA averaged 7,318 fans per game during the 2015 regular season, the lowest average attendance in league history according to SportsBusiness Daily.

Quote:
Combined television viewership on ESPN and ESPN2 fell by 14 percent to an average of 202,000 viewers. ESPN2 carried 10 games and ESPN carried one game this year, compared with 19 games on ESPN2 in 2014.

justintyme

PostPosted: 03/30/16 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LosLynxAngeles wrote:
I don't really take a side in this. I get what Elena is saying and I think she is just offended that Diana would take her words that way even in a sarcastic way. As for Kate Fagen, she is known for stirring controversy with her interviews and articles. i.e. Sheryl Swoopes. I don't like her and I don't think she actually cares about the WNBA, only when she gets hits and can use it as clickbait.

While Fagan has definitely had some questionable articles in the past this is not one of them. This was a well thought out and reasoned piece. I don't see any controversy being stirred here. This is just Dee being her awesomely snarky self. Plus it was a perfectly pithy sentiment.

PostPosted: 03/30/16 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Kate Fagan gets people talking about WBB, great. We can use her just as much as she uses us.

PostPosted: 03/31/16 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
If Kate Fagan gets people talking about WBB, great. We can use her just as much as she uses us.

I flicked on the sports radio station here in Seattle this afternoon and they were talking about it.

PostPosted: 03/31/16 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FS02 wrote:
pilight wrote:

I flicked on the sports radio station here in Seattle this afternoon and they were talking about it.

They talked about it on His & Hers today also

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=15104531&ex_cid=espntw

PostPosted: 03/31/16 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

EDD on SportsCenter

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=15107092&ex_cid=espntw

PostPosted: 03/31/16 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
EDD on SportsCenter

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=15107092&ex_cid=espntw

As I have said, EDD has people talking about Lowering the Basket, now lets get all the issues and arguments on the table and talk about it. Everyone has the same interest and that is "what can we do speed up the game and make it better".

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 03/31/16 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My guess about tennis: instead of women's singles extending from best-of-three set matches to best-of-five, men's tennis will move in the opposite direction and go to best-of-three. Are tennis fans all that entranced with men's singles' matches that last five hours?

I'm with Diana Taurasi and others here who oppose lowering the rims for WNBA games.

PostPosted: 03/31/16 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
My guess about tennis: instead of women's singles extending from best-of-three set matches to best-of-five, men's tennis will move in the opposite direction and go to best-of-three. Are tennis fans all that entranced with men's singles' matches that last five hours?

There's no way they could schedule women's matches that last five sets and keep the majors at two weeks. They can barely do it with three sets if there's rain.

PostPosted: 03/31/16 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

There's no way they could schedule women's matches that last five sets and keep the majors at two weeks. They can barely do it with three sets if there's rain.

Yep. WTA players have made the argument for five sets in the Slams (the men play best of three in most tournaments outside the Slams, although there are a few exceptions with major non-GS tournaments), and they were denied because of this scheduling issue. This topic came up again most recently during the fall out from Indian Wells.

I just watched EDD's SportsCenter spot and I'm not quite sure she understood Taurasi's statement/position.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/31/16 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
I think miller40 was addressing what would happen if women had different rim heights at different levels/leagues. Players would struggle to adapt and the FG% on jump shots would decrease noticeably.

The difference goes down as you get further from the basket.

Directly under the basket, a 6' player with a 12" vertical would be 3' from a 10' rim and 2' from a 9' rim.

From the three point line, the same player would be 22'4" from a 10' basket and 22'3" from a 9' basket.

PostPosted: 03/31/16 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Elena continues to use the women's golf tees as an example, but where is it, or has it ever been written that women actually have to use the women's tees?

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
FS02

PostPosted: 03/31/16 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've always thought one of the cool and unique things about basketball is there are rims and courts everywhere: in driveways, parks, rec centers and so forth in every corner of the country... so you can live in the inner city projects or Podunk, North Dakota and all you need is a ball and a pair of shoes to work on your game.

Having a 9' rim would somewhat restrict access to the more affluent, unless people were willing to shell out money to install girls' rims everywhere... I see that as the biggest problem.

PostPosted: 04/01/16 2:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FS02 wrote:
I've always thought one of the cool and unique things about basketball is there are rims and courts everywhere: in driveways, parks, rec centers and so forth in every corner of the country... so you can live in the inner city projects or Podunk, North Dakota and all you need is a ball and a pair of shoes to work on your game.

Having a 9' rim would somewhat restrict access to the more affluent, unless people were willing to shell out money to install girls' rims everywhere... I see that as the biggest problem.

According to this article, she is only talking about the WNBA.

Quote:
Elena Delle Donne continued to make her case for the lowering the height of the rim in the WNBA, tweeting Thursday that it's "about the future of the game."

WNBA rims are placed 10 feet above the court, the same as in the NBA, and Delle Donne contends that at closer range to the basket, female players can display more of their athleticism and attract more fans.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/01/16 2:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24

PostPosted: 04/01/16 3:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

I'm going to say apples and oranges on this one. 3 point lines have never been universal, and regulation rim height has been.
Queenie

PostPosted: 04/01/16 6:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
FS02 wrote:

According to this article, she is only talking about the WNBA.

Quote:
Elena Delle Donne continued to make her case for the lowering the height of the rim in the WNBA, tweeting Thursday that it's "about the future of the game."

WNBA rims are placed 10 feet above the court, the same as in the NBA, and Delle Donne contends that at closer range to the basket, female players can display more of their athleticism and attract more fans.

So after years of shooting at a 10-foot rim, players are suddenly supposed to adjust to a lower rim when they go pro? And then re-adjust when they go overseas- oh, I forgot, EDD doesn't go overseas, so maybe she forgot that most of the league can't make offseason bank off endorsements. And this is going to make the game look better?

There are hills it is worth dying on and battles worth fighting. This is really not one of them. STOP SAYING WORDS, ELENA.

PostPosted: 04/01/16 6:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
So after years of shooting at a 10-foot rim, players are suddenly supposed to adjust to a lower rim when they go pro? And then re-adjust when they go overseas- oh, I forgot, EDD doesn't go overseas, so maybe she forgot that most of the league can't make offseason bank off endorsements. And this is going to make the game look better?

There are hills it is worth dying on and battles worth fighting. This is really not one of them. STOP SAYING WORDS, ELENA.

Might make the Olympics more interesting if the Americans had barely two weeks to adjust back to 10ft from 9ft before the competition most of them rank as the biggest prize in the world. Smile

PostPosted: 04/01/16 7:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

Yes it was. Elena must not have been paying attention back in 1997.

PostPosted: 04/01/16 7:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
tfan wrote:

I'm going to say apples and oranges on this one. 3 point lines have never been universal, and regulation rim height has been.

Elena did not communicate this issue very well. What she was trying to say, there is a link between the height of the basket and the three point line. Keeping the basket at 10 feet and moving the 3 point line in 4 feet increased the number of 3 point shots attempted, increased the number of people shooting the 3 point shot and and increased the number of 3 point shots made. This had a positive impact on Women's Basketball. Everyone loves to see a player attempt a 3 point shots and make that shot. Especially when the game is on the line.

All of this has a positive impact on Women's Basketball. You cannot move the height of the rim without talking about the 3 point line.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/01/16 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
tfan wrote:

Yes it was. Elena must not have been paying attention back in 1997.

In fairness, she was seven.

PostPosted: 04/01/16 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Make it stop.

Glad folks are discussing the WNBA, yet the "lower the rim" nonsense has been played out before.

My suspicion is that EDD misinterpreted DT's sarcasm.

Please talk about how Steph Curry has grabbed the nation's attention with skills excluding the dunk.

Please talk about teamwork, free throw and three point shooting percentages (women versus men), etcetera.

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
pilight

PostPosted: 04/01/16 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Candace Parker weighs in

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDqpG32u3ys/

Quote:
People WANA know how I feel about the "rim discussion" .... Here's my ANSWER.

PostPosted: 04/01/16 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
tfan wrote:
In 2005 WNBA ESPN ratings were 282,000 viewers. In 2015 they were 202,000. In 2005 WNBA attendance averaged 8,172. In 2015 WNBA attendance was the lowest in it's history - 7,318. It's not just about getting new fans, they ought to try lowering the rim to see if they can get back the fans they lost.

You don't need movable rims all over the place if you just make it a WNBA thing.

#This = Volumes

Maybe if the w would reinstitute the league pass viewership would be at a higher level. Everyone doesn't have all the stations the games are shown on. I love the game but sometimes don't want to sit in front of a computer to watch.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 04/01/16 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Candace Parker weighs in

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDqpG32u3ys/

Quote:
People WANA know how I feel about the "rim discussion" .... Here's my ANSWER.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Good one, Ace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: