RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Rookie ruminations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/16/05 8:58 pm    ::: Rookie ruminations Reply Reply with quote

How is McCarville going to get PT in Charlotte? They didn't get Tangela Smith to backup a rookie, and sliding her to the three means Sam or Feaster goes to the bench. If they were going to sit one of the wings, they might as well have drafted White. The Sting's third post last year, Olympia Scott-Richardson, played fewer than 12 MPG. Is McCarville trade-bait?

White should start in Indy. Miller-White-Jackson-Catchings-Williams is a reasonable starting lineup, with only three players out of position. With Winters as coach, however, I expect another disappointing season. Yolanda Paige could get into the guard mix as well.

I guess Irvin will be the center in Phoenix. She's better suited to the 4, but nearly anyone would be an improvement over Bobo. With Taurasi and Taylor, she doesn't have to be great to make the team a threat. Angelina Williams is a good kid on the wrong team. She's never going to crack the Merc's wing rotation.

The SASS drafted Wecker Shocked and traded for Feenstra. They both might start, if Hughes can stand LaToya Thomas at the four. It could be another long year in San Antonio. They also snagged Shyra Ely. Dunno how she fits in if Wecker Shocked is at the three.

Sancho Lyttle makes sense in Houston. She should get some minutes behind Snow and Phillips, Tiff Johnson averaged 20 MPG last year. I don't expect Phillips to be back in Houston next season, so Lyttle should be able to grow into a role. The Comets also got Roneeka Hodges, which is good. Houston needs all the guard help they can get.

Temeka Johnson should have a chance to win the PG job in Washington. Assuming the Mystics get a competent coach, he or she will want to play Beard to the two instead of the point. This is a tough team to figure out. On paper they don't look that great, but they have everyone except SDS back from the playoff team and added Milton-Jones.

The Shock added Braxton and Jackson (hey, they almost rhyme!). Braxton is the wild card in this deck. She might blossom into a multi-MVP winning stud muffin or she could flake out Planet Reed style or she could end up anywhere in between. If I were a GM she would have been my #1 choice among rookies. Jackson will probably make the roster but get little PT behind Powell and Ivey.

Kristen Haynie will get to learn from the best in Sacto. She's already a better shooter than Penicheiro, if she can pick up some of that ball handling flair she'll be the steal of the draft.

I'm not going to pretend to understand New York picking Loree Moore at #10. Like I said elsewhere, PGs that shoot 33% from the floor and have a 1.3 ATO ratio have a very poor track record in the W. Blaze did exactly the opposite of what I projected in my mock draft, I said she would go "best athlete available" and she stubbornly picked by position without regard to skill.

Minnesota snagged two SFs, Kristen Mann and Jacqueline Batteast. They also re-signed Lassiter and Abrosimova. I didn't understand the wing position overload when Agler did it up there and I still don't understand it now Who's the backup PG? Jacobs? Butts? McDivitt? Paige and Jackson were still on the board for their first pick.

Seattle got a defensive guard in Tanisha Wright to replace their missing starters at SF and C. Donovan's got the ring, who am I to argue with her?

PostPosted: 04/16/05 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I guess Irvin will be the center in Phoenix. She's better suited to the 4, but nearly anyone would be an improvement over Bobo. With Taurasi and Taylor, she doesn't have to be great to make the team a threat. Angelina Williams is a good kid on the wrong team. She's never going to crack the Merc's wing rotation.

Vodichkova will start at the 5, with Gwen Jackson at the 4 (or Plenette). Sandora will be the 4 when playing with Gwen (Jackson will move to the 5) and Vodi.

Williams and Snell are great backup wing players and provide some nice looks. Williams didn't get a lot of coaching at Illinois, so she will have a few years where she can learn.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/16/05 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dang, I forgot about Vodichkova!

I doubt Williams will make the roster.

Site Admin

PostPosted: 04/16/05 9:09 pm    ::: Re: Rookie ruminations Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The SASS drafted Wecker and traded for Feenstra. They both might start, if Hughes can stand LaToya Thomas at the four. It could be another long year in San Antonio. They also snagged Shyra Ely. Dunno how she fits in if Wecker is at the three

This is Dan Hughes we're talking about isn't it? The man that believes everyone should play about 20 minutes isn't it? I doubt anybody on the team will have to worry about playing time, if they do, then they really are underperforming.

I didn't like his coaching style, but it was effective, a bit boring, but that isn't a concern, winning is the object, so my preference to an uptempo game is not important, winning is the bottom line.

Ely can play some good D, if he can get her motor turned down a few rpms, she gets too revved up, that's when she usually has the horrible performances that everyone remembers about her, when she can play under control, she's a lot better player. She also had the burden of the goto player in the Summitt gameplan, she wasn't that great at creating a shot, especially in traffic, but she was put in that position too often, and the results weren't very pretty.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/16/05 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I doubt Williams will make the roster.

I would take Williams over Shereka Wright. Williams has a very good shot at making the roster. And she has terrific upside.

As for Hughes and Thomas, he played her at the 4 in Cleveland...so my guess is he is happy with her there.

mnbballfan

PostPosted: 04/16/05 9:43 pm    ::: Re: Rookie ruminations Reply Reply with quote

"Minnesota snagged two SFs, Kristen Mann and Jacqueline Batteast. They also re-signed Lassiter and Abrosimova. I didn't understand the wing position overload when Agler did it up there and I still don't understand it now Who's the backup PG? Jacobs? Butts? McDivitt? Paige and Jackson were still on the board for their first pick"

Here in Minnesota, it has been clear that the Lynx have been looking for scoring depth at the wing position. Both Kristen Mann and Batteast played wing in college, and will add depth at that desired position. I don't believe the Lynx feel that either with vie for a starting position at this point. However, considering the fact that Edwards is gone and Butts played very sparingly last year, the Lynx feel that they need to add some scoring punch on the perimter and as Suzie indicated during her interview, size on the perimeter was also a key in this year's draft.

As for back up point guards, the Lynx have Amber Jacobs (a fan favorite at the Coyote Grill) and Nuria Martinez, who is expected to be in training camp this year.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/16/05 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess Williams is fighting with Wright, Christensen, L Taylor, and Moore for the last two roster spots. That's assuming neither Tuvic nor Stepanova are coming back.

The first nine are Cross, DeForge, Jackson, Pierson, Robinson, Taurasi, P Taylor, Vodichkova, and Irvin.

PostPosted: 04/16/05 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I guess Williams is fighting with Wright, Christensen, L Taylor, and Moore for the last two roster spots. That's assuming neither Tuvic nor Stepanova are coming back.

The first nine are Cross, DeForge, Jackson, Pierson, Robinson, Taurasi, P Taylor, Vodichkova, and Irvin.

My guess is Williams and Christensen make the roster, with Moore on the injured list. Or it could be Moore on the active roster with Cross on the injured list.

Keegan

PostPosted: 04/16/05 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Aren't you forgetting somebody?
rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 04/16/05 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What did ARob do, during the off-season?

pilight

PostPosted: 04/16/05 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nobody that's listed on the current roster. Wink

PostPosted: 04/16/05 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Nobody that's listed on the current roster. Wink

Har har.

Plenette might be trade bait - as usual, too many 4s!

If Step comes back, there's your final 11 (with Snell Razz )
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/16/05 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Substitue Belinda Snell for Robinson.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/16/05 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Substitue Belinda Snell for Robinson.

That leaves you really thin in the post. Just Vodi, Irvin, and pray in the low zone.

PostPosted: 04/16/05 10:32 pm    ::: Re: Rookie ruminations Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Seattle got a defensive guard in Tanisha Wright to replace their missing starters at SF and C. Donovan's got the ring, who am I to argue with her?

The post is fine. Burse and Batgirl will be solid at the 5.

SF is still a problem but they did need a defensive stopper as well. Maybe Angelina Williams would have been a better first round pick *shrugs*
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/16/05 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
That leaves you really thin in the post. Just Vodi, Irvin, and pray in the low zone.

4s and 5s - Gwen, Plenette, Irvin, Vodi, and Kayte.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/17/05 6:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Quote:

4s and 5s - Gwen, Plenette, Irvin, Vodi, and Kayte.

If Kayte is on the roster, Angelina is off, which was my original point.

PostPosted: 04/17/05 7:21 am    ::: Re: Rookie ruminations Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
How is McCarville going to get PT in Charlotte? They didn't get Tangela Smith to backup a rookie, and sliding her to the three means Sam or Feaster goes to the bench. If they were going to sit one of the wings, they might as well have drafted White. The Sting's third post last year, Olympia Scott-Richardson, played fewer than 12 MPG. Is McCarville trade-bait?

McCarville to NY for any of: VJ, C-Rob, Ann Wauters, Bethany Donaphin, KB Sharp, Loree Moore, Tabitha Pool...

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: