RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

W Vets as Paid League Ambassadors?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyperetic

PostPosted: 01/31/16 4:58 pm    ::: W Vets as Paid League Ambassadors? Reply Reply with quote

Have we discussed the possibility and viability of retired W vets who don't have overseas commitments being paid to canvas the country shilling for the league? If so, could someone point me to the thread?
GEF34

PostPosted: 02/01/16 12:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How would this work for players that retire while technically still under contract? Would there be some kind of issue with that?

I think it would be great for players that have recently retired or even some of the older players that have retired to do this, like Tina Thompson would have been a good candidate before she started coaching at Texas. Of course it will depend on a lot of things and it can't be offered to just anyone, like if Lisa Leslie did this, it would be a big thing, but if say Tamecka Dixon did, would it really mean anything at all, would anyone outside of the WNBA circle know who she is, or care about it. No disrespect to Tamecka Dixon, I loved watching her play, was a big fan when she was with the Sparks, but just being honestly, I don't anyone would care if she was out marketing the WNBA or would take the time to go see what she has to say. Maybe if she was in LA, Houston, Indiana or Kansas, where she at least has some basketball roots (LA and Kansas would be the most logical), she could do something, but even then how many people that go to Kansas games even know who she is and what she did at Kansas.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 02/01/16 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
How would this work for players that retire while technically still under contract? Would there be some kind of issue with that?

I think it would be great for players that have recently retired or even some of the older players that have retired to do this, like Tina Thompson would have been a good candidate before she started coaching at Texas. Of course it will depend on a lot of things and it can't be offered to just anyone, like if Lisa Leslie did this, it would be a big thing, but if say Tamecka Dixon did, would it really mean anything at all, would anyone outside of the WNBA circle know who she is, or care about it. No disrespect to Tamecka Dixon, I loved watching her play, was a big fan when she was with the Sparks, but just being honestly, I don't anyone would care if she was out marketing the WNBA or would take the time to go see what she has to say. Maybe if she was in LA, Houston, Indiana or Kansas, where she at least has some basketball roots (LA and Kansas would be the most logical), she could do something, but even then how many people that go to Kansas games even know who she is and what she did at Kansas.

If they retire under contract, I would think it would be a natural transition into this type of job unless they have other choices/obligations in place.

I hear what you are saying about the lesser known players. And past starters, you'd be hard pressed to find players for fans to rally around. That being said, potential fans need to be educated about W history of the ones they may have heard of and the ones they don't know. It would be a way of creating a smarter, more in tune fan base.
bullsky

PostPosted: 02/01/16 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've said for awhile that it would be cool if each franchise could designate a player to be an "Ambassador." That player would get paid for a full year and all ambassadors would come together to form a WNBA Select team that would tour the United States and play scrimmages against college teams. I think it would help keep buzz going around the league and would help expose the league to markets it might not normally have the chance to reach.

Looking at rosters and who stayed home, this year's team would probably be..

PG - Bird (SEA), Whalen (MIN)
SG - Diggins (DAL), Perkins (SAS), Hill (WAS)
SF - Delle-Donne (CHI). Catchings (IND) , Cash (NYL)
PF - Milton-Jones (ATL), Dupree (PHX)
C - Parker (LAS), Ogwumike (CON)

PostPosted: 02/01/16 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
I've said for awhile that it would be cool if each franchise could designate a player to be an "Ambassador." That player would get paid for a full year and all ambassadors would come together to form a WNBA Select team that would tour the United States and play scrimmages against college teams. I think it would help keep buzz going around the league and would help expose the league to markets it might not normally have the chance to reach.

Looking at rosters and who stayed home, this year's team would probably be..

PG - Bird (SEA), Whalen (MIN)
SG - Diggins (DAL), Perkins (SAS), Hill (WAS)
SF - Delle-Donne (CHI). Catchings (IND) , Cash (NYL)
PF - Milton-Jones (ATL), Dupree (PHX)
C - Parker (LAS), Ogwumike (CON)

Great idea, but first the NCAA is going to need to change the rules for that to be possible.

GEF34

PostPosted: 02/01/16 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

If they retire under contract, I would think it would be a natural transition into this type of job unless they have other choices/obligations in place.

I hear what you are saying about the lesser known players. And past starters, you'd be hard pressed to find players for fans to rally around. That being said, potential fans need to be educated about W history of the ones they may have heard of and the ones they don't know. It would be a way of creating a smarter, more in tune fan base.

So if a player was under contract how would that work for the players, would it go based on what they were being paid on their contract. If that is the case would the league be more incline to go after less paid players, which could result in what I talked about earlier.

And as I mentioned, it wouldn't be an issue to me or other WNBA fans, but if the WNBA has a billboard that says come visit former WNBA player Tamecka Dixon in Columbus, OH, or Uncasville, CT, how many people would actually be interested in going to see what she has to say, sure it would be a great opportunity to educate people on the history of the league and even this history fo women's basketball, but you need to have a person that will grab the peoples attention to get them to the meet and greet, or whatever the event maybe, before they can be educated and I'm not so sure having just any former WNBA player will attract the people that need to be educated about the league.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 02/01/16 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:

So if a player was under contract how would that work for the players, would it go based on what they were being paid on their contract. If that is the case would the league be more incline to go after less paid players, which could result in what I talked about earlier.

And as I mentioned, it wouldn't be an issue to me or other WNBA fans, but if the WNBA has a billboard that says come visit former WNBA player Tamecka Dixon in Columbus, OH, or Uncasville, CT, how many people would actually be interested in going to see what she has to say, sure it would be a great opportunity to educate people on the history of the league and even this history fo women's basketball, but you need to have a person that will grab the peoples attention to get them to the meet and greet, or whatever the event maybe, before they can be educated and I'm not so sure having just any former WNBA player will attract the people that need to be educated about the league.

They might be inclined to but it would not be in their best interest I would think, diminishing returns and all that. They may, in those cases, wait for the contract to expire and broker a whole new deal for the individual player. Just guessing.

That would be a problem but I think if you pair them with better known players and/or player groups, it might help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: