RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NWHL to debut this October

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 08/10/15 2:55 pm    ::: NWHL to debut this October Reply Reply with quote

Women's pro ice hockey league to debut with four teams: Brooklyn, Boston, Connecticut & Buffalo.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/08/10/nwhl-hockey-new-york-riveters/#.VciqbN_41Ws.facebook

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
toad455

PostPosted: 10/11/15 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The NWHL played their first game today.

http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/10/11/first-nwhl-game-whale-riveters-jessica-koizumi?xid=si_social

my only worry with this league is that the teams are basically playing in community centers with low capacity. Brooklyn's Aviator Sports Arena holds 4,000; Boston's Bright Hockey Center holds 2,850; followed by Buffalo's HarborCenter at 1,200; Connecticut's Chelsea Piers at 1,000.

AAOK423

PostPosted: 10/15/15 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Im happy to see all their games will be up on Youtube. Ill be following this league and am excited to see it grow!

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 10/16/15 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

going out to the aviator this sunday for riviters home opener, will let you know how it goes

will give you one bias off the bat...while i fully and wholeheartedly support women athletes in all walks of competition (Hell i even gave a shoutout to WWE for getting much better trained women wrestlers such as Charlotte Flair rather than models who get taught some basic holds) I have a rudimentary beef with Women's Hockey for not permitting checking, which is a key component of the sport's defensive strategy...but i will enter open mindedly and will let you know the atmosphere and how it went

one thing that sounds off alarms for me tho..all riviter games are on sunday nights at 7...thats not family friendly or really friendly to anyone to go out to a rink in the rockaways a haul from most of the city that worries me a bit.

PostPosted: 10/18/15 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, Boston is taking their sweet time getting here- it's 7:30 and we haven't seen any hockey players yet. So far I like the Riveters' setup, though they need to sort things out a little with the rest of the complex- I don't think they were expecting to have that much of a crowd that far before the puck was supposed to drop. I'm really worried about getting home now.

(now with spelling variations)
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 10/18/15 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

game was woefully one sided 7-1 boston, boston looked like a team and apparently had played together for years before so they did have a head start and it showed

crowdwise we'll see if its sustainable and the gaffe with boston showing up late (no excuse) can't help but i did learn hockey supports HOCKEY, you have a quality hockey product fans of hockey will watch it for the beauty of the sport itself...be it man woman or child the crowd was good and way more adult than expected (lots of beer being swilled) id say mid 30s to 40 some with their kids but also many women hockey fans who loved hockey, there even was a tailgate

im mixed but the hockey action was more intense than past women's hockey and while checking is still outlawed, there was physicality ill give it a second chance but likely toward the end of the season

dunno if the leauge survives but the concept likely will again hockey supports hockey

PostPosted: 10/18/15 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
I have a rudimentary beef with Women's Hockey for not permitting checking, which is a key component of the sport's defensive strategy...but i will enter open mindedly and will let you know the atmosphere and how it went

Oh, once you watch for a while, you'll discover there's plenty of contact in women's hockey. It's similar in that regard to the WNBA: Only the most egregious mayhem usually gets called, or else the game would never finish...

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 10/19/15 6:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:
I have a rudimentary beef with Women's Hockey for not permitting checking, which is a key component of the sport's defensive strategy...but i will enter open mindedly and will let you know the atmosphere and how it went

Oh, once you watch for a while, you'll discover there's plenty of contact in women's hockey. It's similar in that regard to the WNBA: Only the most egregious mayhem usually gets called, or else the game would never finish...

i agree after watching up close...but will say not being able to bump and hit leads to a lot of the clutching grabbing and jersey pulling that is patrolled so heavily in the nhl that really slows it down

point is taken though there was defenately enough hard play to satisfy a good hockey fan...i will be back but likely after the teams have a month or two to get some continiuity together...the mental intensity was there but physically there was a lot of dumb hockey, bad giveaways and blown odd man rushes...its a work in progress but was further along development wise than i expected

PostPosted: 10/24/15 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am interested to see which league is able to expand to Minnesota first, the CWHL or the NWHL. Whichever does is going to have a serious leg up on the other league.

Minnesota is basically the epicenter of women's hockey in the US. The Gophers are the UCONN of hockey (except even more dominating), and a large portion of the talent pool has ties to the area (through college or youth programs). If one of the leagues captures the area and is able to tap that talent pool at the expense of the other...

But until then I will continue to pull for both leagues. The more opportunities available in this wonderful sport, the better.

PostPosted: 10/24/15 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
I am interested to see which league is able to expand to Minnesota first, the CWHL or the NWHL. Whichever does is going to have a serious leg up on the other league.

it might be better for the league's to merge down the road. Both have teams in Boston, and we might see teams added to each league if they merge by 2019. The league, once merged, could be at 12 teams by 2019(*potential expansion team)

EAST
Montreal
New York
Connecticut
Buffalo
Boston
Philadelphia*

WEST
Brampton
Toronto
Calgary
Winnipeg*
Chicago*
Minnesota*

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 10/26/15 5:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
justintyme wrote:

it might be better for the league's to merge down the road. Both have teams in Boston, and we might see teams added to each league if they merge by 2019. The league, once merged, could be at 12 teams by 2019(*potential expansion team)

EAST
Montreal
New York
Connecticut
Buffalo
Boston
Philadelphia*

WEST
Brampton
Toronto
Calgary
Winnipeg*
Chicago*
Minnesota*

As the CWHL doesn't pay its players, I expect it to be shoved down by the NWHL, which does.

justintyme

PostPosted: 10/26/15 7:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hawkeye wrote:
toad455 wrote:
justintyme wrote:

EAST
Montreal
New York
Connecticut
Buffalo
Boston
Philadelphia*

WEST
Brampton
Toronto
Calgary
Winnipeg*
Chicago*
Minnesota*

As the CWHL doesn't pay its players, I expect it to be shoved down by the NWHL, which does.

The CWHL doesn't pay players yet. But the NWHL doesn't do much better. The NWHL's pay is about $15,000 per year. The CWHL plans to start paying players once they are able to provide a "living wage". Basically the goal is the same for both leagues, the approach is just different. Time will tell which approach, if either, works out the best.

PostPosted: 12/29/15 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NHL/NWHL to host first ever women's outdoor classic.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=5083777

toad455

PostPosted: 12/29/15 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NWHL likely to expand next season.

Quote:
The new professional four-team NWHL is looking to expand after its inaugural 2015-16 season and appears to be interested in a team called the Minnesota Whitecaps from the Minneapolis area. The Minnesota Whitecaps have played some pre-season and other exhibition games this season against some NWHL teams. The Whitecaps were a member of the elite-level Western Women's Hockey League for several seasons, but have been playing an exhibition schedule the past couple of seasons after the WWHL disbanded.

*from oursportscentral

toad455

PostPosted: 12/31/15 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

first Outdoor Women's Classic ends in 1-1 tie.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=44198

StevenHW

PostPosted: 01/02/16 1:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
first Outdoor Women's Classic ends in 1-1 tie.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=44198

From the New York Times, here's an article...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/01/sports/hockey/winter-classic-boston-pride-les-canadiennes.html?_r=0

One of the Boston players was carried off on a stretcher, after she lost her footing and crashed the boards. Shocked

PostPosted: 01/08/16 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DENNA LAING INJURED SPINAL CORD DURING OUTDOOR WOMEN'S CLASSIC

Quote:
"As of today, Denna has limited movement of her arms and no feeling in her legs," Jerilyn and Dennis Lang said in a statement Friday. "Our prayer going forward is that Denna can be moved from the Intensive Care Unit to a Rehabilitation Center and continue to fight everyday with her trademark grit and resolve. With respect to her long term prognosis, right now there are more questions than answers."

Crying or Very sad

Thoughts and prayers with her.

PostPosted: 01/08/16 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeah, thoughts and prayers. this has even been mentioned on the major sports networks.

justintyme

PostPosted: 05/07/16 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amanda Kessel on concussions, comebacks and her future with the NWHL

Quote:
The NWHL announced Sunday evening that Amanda Kessel, one of the best hockey players around, became the highest paid player in the league when she signed a one-year, $26,000 deal with the New York Riveters. Kessel spoke exclusively to For the Win about her future with the NWHL, her comeback and whether she would ever want to play in the NHL.

Congrats New York on getting one of the most amazing hockey players I have ever watched play. I will miss watching her on the ice at Ridder, but excited for the fans out there in New York to be able to see her play.

PostPosted: 05/08/16 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Amanda Kessel on concussions, comebacks and her future with the NWHL

Quote:
The NWHL announced Sunday evening that Amanda Kessel, one of the best hockey players around, became the highest paid player in the league when she signed a one-year, $26,000 deal with the New York Riveters. Kessel spoke exclusively to For the Win about her future with the NWHL, her comeback and whether she would ever want to play in the NHL.

Congrats New York on getting one of the most amazing hockey players I have ever watched play. I will miss watching her on the ice at Ridder, but excited for the fans out there in New York to be able to see her play.

SUCH EXCITE

VERY HOCKEY

(Amanda Kessel is best Kessel. It is known.)

Now, let's make sure the damn league gets to a second season. We'll definitely be making more of an effort to get to Aviator more often now.

(now with spelling variations)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: