RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Australian Opals 2015
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/16/15 3:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Was an awful quality game. 15000 people in the building and we were given a seriously ugly demonstration of women's basketball unfortunately. The Opals really looked nervous early (early meaning until well into the second quarter), and very tentative.
The margin should have been closer to 40.

PostPosted: 08/16/15 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

that's a really sad result considering it was Australia's B team.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ucdt3

PostPosted: 08/16/15 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
The Tall Ferns were swept by Japan, losing Game 3 81-73. Natalie Purcell had 14, Wallbutton had 13, Cocks had 12, and Jess Bygate had 10.

Yeah, New Zealand aren't very good. The Australasia 'zone' is basically a joke. I was having this discussion a while back over the Aus-NZ qualifying tie: how low down their age-group teams could Australia go and still win? U21 would still be favourites over the full New Zealand team. U18 would probably have a good shot as well (although I say that without knowing who's in Australia's youth set up at the moment). U16 might be pushing it.

There's a reason that Australia don't really care that this is their B squad, and were perfectly willing to dump Cambage. They're not even a little scared.

Utter bullshit that all Australia has to do qualify for the Olympics in men's and women's basketball (and I'm sure a bunch of other team sports) is defeat New Zealand. There is really no reason the 2 teams shouldn't be placed into the Asia zone and have to qualify against those teams.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/16/15 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucdt3 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
The Tall Ferns were swept by Japan, losing Game 3 81-73. Natalie Purcell had 14, Wallbutton had 13, Cocks had 12, and Jess Bygate had 10.

Yeah, New Zealand aren't very good. The Australasia 'zone' is basically a joke. I was having this discussion a while back over the Aus-NZ qualifying tie: how low down their age-group teams could Australia go and still win? U21 would still be favourites over the full New Zealand team. U18 would probably have a good shot as well (although I say that without knowing who's in Australia's youth set up at the moment). U16 might be pushing it.

There's a reason that Australia don't really care that this is their B squad, and were perfectly willing to dump Cambage. They're not even a little scared.

Utter bullshit that all Australia has to do qualify for the Olympics in men's and women's basketball (and I'm sure a bunch of other team sports) is defeat New Zealand. There is really no reason the 2 teams shouldn't be placed into the Asia zone and have to qualify against those teams.

Yeah, FIBA have done some rearranging and the men are moving to Asia in late 2017. Expect the women to do the same.

PostPosted: 08/16/15 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucdt3 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

They have to beat Fiji and Tonga and New Caledonia also...

PostPosted: 08/16/15 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.livebasketball.tv/live?ICID_HOM_TOP_1

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/17/15 2:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Opals @ New Zealand live stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohs6pknbrg4

Stats:
http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/151/16/16/83/44rGXUyd4QYQ/

--

[ETA] Opals win 80-63 and qualify for Rio.

PostPosted: 08/17/15 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Opals relying on their old guard again. Summerton had 22 and Batkovic had 15. Cocks had 21 and 7 for the Tall Ferns.

Yay for the Olympics believing that the Americas are one continent but Eurasia is two.

I wonder if the other Oceania countries will one day be able to put together a competitive senior team. Their youth teams get predictably destroyed by the powerhouses usually.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/17/15 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
The Opals relying on their old guard again. Summerton had 22 and Batkovic had 15. Cocks had 21 and 7 for the Tall Ferns.

Yay for the Olympics believing that the Americas are one continent but Eurasia is two.

I wonder if the other Oceania countries will one day be able to put together a competitive senior team. Their youth teams get predictably destroyed by the powerhouses usually.

doubtful. In soccer, other Oceania teams get destroyed by New Zealand & whoever is willing to play them in qualifiers & friendlies time & time again. Soccer has grown for woman over the past 12-16 years for lower tiered countries. Unfortunately, I can't say them same for basketball.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 08/17/15 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:

Eurasia is larger than the Americas. Actually, Asia by itself without Europe is larger than both Americas combined.

#NATC

PostPosted: 08/18/15 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In case anyone feels like subjecting themselves to some very dodgy basketball, Game 1 of the Australia - New Zealand series can be viewed here:
https://youtu.be/icE12aAvwu4

PostPosted: 09/16/15 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Australian Opals centre Marianna Tolo racing clock for 2016 Olympic Games with torn ACL

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/australian-opals-centre-marianna-tolo-racing-clock-for-2016-olympic-games-with-torn-acl-20150911-gjkn79.html

Quote:
"I felt like I was getting a lot better, getting quicker at rebounding and just playing against some of the best in the world was a great experience," Tolo said. "It was rough at the start because we lost our first million games, and finally, on my birthday, we got our first win.

PostPosted: 09/17/15 12:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Australian Opals centre Marianna Tolo racing clock for 2016 Olympic Games with torn ACL

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/australian-opals-centre-marianna-tolo-racing-clock-for-2016-olympic-games-with-torn-acl-20150911-gjkn79.html

Quote:
"I felt like I was getting a lot better, getting quicker at rebounding and just playing against some of the best in the world was a great experience," Tolo said. "It was rough at the start because we lost our first million games, and finally, on my birthday, we got our first win.

Thanks for posting the article. I was really enjoying her in a Sparks uniform this year, I wish her the best in her recovery. I hope she will be able to make it to Rio and then will be back in a Sparks uniform in 2016 or 2017.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/19/15 4:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is this also the 2016 Opals thread?

Australian Opals coach Brendan Joyce faces tough call on naturalised stars

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/australian-opals-coach-brendan-joyce-faces-tough-call-on-naturalised-stars-20151118-gl2n9i.html

Quote:
But Joyce can pick only one naturalised player and already has point guard Leilani Mitchell, who played an important role in the 2014 FIBA women's world championships and shapes as a likely selection for the Rio Olympics.

Joyce told Fairfax Media his current advice was Mitchell was counted as a naturalised player as she was first an American citizen then gained an Australia passport through her mother, who was Australian.

Mitchell plays in the WNBL as a local player and Griffin will be able to do the same but FIBA rules allow national teams to select only one naturalised player.

Quote:
"It's fantastic for her to become a citizen and I've always kept an eye on Kelsey, not just here but also in the WNBA where she is a starter who plays big minutes," he said.

"She is a versatile player who could play the small forward or power forward at international level so we know a lot about her game."

Well he doesn't know enough to surmise that she isn't a starter. I wonder if he knows she was cut from the WNBA this season.

Quote:
Penny Taylor and Liz Cambage are back playing in China and have recorded big numbers in the early rounds while Rachel Jarry and Rebecca Allen are back in the WNBL and performing well for South East Queensland Stars.

Joyce said Erin Phillips could be back on court in the next three weeks after a more serious knee injury while centre Marianna Tolo was on track to start some on-court drills in March as she recovered from a knee reconstruction.

But the major problem remains four-time Olympian Lauren Jackson, whose knee injury requires more recovery time after she attempted to boost her training load last week.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 11/19/15 6:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Opals have plenty of posts. Who is he going to leave at home for her. Cambage, Batkovic, Tolo (When healthy), LJ (when healthy) are all locks and then you have Francis and Bishop who I both would take over Griffin..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
LosLynxAngeles

PostPosted: 11/19/15 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Opals have a lot of quality post and small forwards. they need good guard, specifically PG

Shades

PostPosted: 11/19/15 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bishop wasn't that impressive this season. The writing is on the wall for Jackson. Even she realizes that. I doubt she returns and if she does, how impactful do you expect her to be? Is she staying in game shape through all this down time? People keep picturing the Lauren Jackson of 2010 as the current one. Expecting Tolo to be ready for Rio is assuming everything will go perfectly smoothly in her rehab. It could happen but you shouldn't count on it.
Didn't Griffin win some kind of an big award in the WNBL? Don't you want to reward her becoming a naturalized citizen? What was her incentive in becoming one... was becoming an Opal one of them?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 11/19/15 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really didn't think Mitchell was going to count as a naturalised player, seeing as she got her passport through normal, familial links - not through being arbitrarily handed it along with a bag of cash, or extended residency, or marriage, or anything at all dodgy. Hope they've looked (or will look) into all the details of that.

I mean, if she's naturalised, what about Penny Taylor or Liz Cambage? Both have often been listed as 'British' over the years, and Cambage was born here. Why should Mitchell be more naturalised just because she took so long to claim the Australian passport she was entitled to?

PostPosted: 11/19/15 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Bishop wasn't that impressive this season. The writing is on the wall for Jackson. Even she realizes that. I doubt she returns and if she does, how impactful do you expect her to be? Is she staying in game shape through all this down time? People keep picturing the Lauren Jackson of 2010 as the current one. Expecting Tolo to be ready for Rio is assuming everything will go perfectly smoothly in her rehab. It could happen but you shouldn't count on it.
Didn't Griffin win some kind of an big award in the WNBL? Don't you want to reward her becoming a naturalized citizen? What was her incentive in becoming one... was becoming an Opal one of them?

Based on her interviews, Griffin didn't become Australian because of basketball. She just likes the lifestyle better. Apparently, Australians are more laid back and nicer than Americans. She also married an Australian, so they had to decide where they wanted to live. They chose Australia.

awhom111

PostPosted: 11/19/15 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I really didn't think Mitchell was going to count as a naturalised player, seeing as she got her passport through normal, familial links - not through being arbitrarily handed it along with a bag of cash, or extended residency, or marriage, or anything at all dodgy. Hope they've looked (or will look) into all the details of that.

I mean, if she's naturalised, what about Penny Taylor or Liz Cambage? Both have often been listed as 'British' over the years, and Cambage was born here. Why should Mitchell be more naturalised just because she took so long to claim the Australian passport she was entitled to?

I guess you've never been subjected to one of my rants about this subject. The letter of the law is that you must obtain a passport (and not just some other proof of citizenship) before the age of 16. FIBA of course arbitrarily makes exceptions every so often, but as far as I know have never made an exception for a case like Mitchell's. All of these issues arise almost exclusively because of a handful of countries (Qatar in particular).

This is a big point of contention for some international fanbases. There are questions about what constitutes proof of citizenship and whether one can obtain citizenship without taking any actions. There are also issues of possible inconsistent enforcement around the world. Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands among others get a huge advantage because all of their citizens are American citizens, therefore the rule is that the player just needs to prove that they, a parent, or a grandparent was born there to qualify (of course they can't naturalize players, but it could be a valuable tradeoff long term). The fans of the Philippines in particular really try to get to the bottom of this situation since they feel victimized with their widespread emigration and the quality of players available in their diaspora. They wonder whether the players that Nigeria finds every year (a great effort by an individual who is not even affiliated with their federation) really all have childhood documentation of their ties to the country.

I have always been in favor of looser restrictions on heritage and tighter ones on naturalization, but I doubt that changes are coming any time soon.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 11/19/15 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
The letter of the law is that you must obtain a passport (and not just some other proof of citizenship) before the age of 16.

Ah okay, I didn't realise that was one of the elements of the rule. As a Brit - a country with tight laws on handing out passports that they don't relax at all just because someone's good at basketball - I have my own issues with FIBA's naturalisation rules. But that clause seems pretty dumb. If you had a Belorussian grandad that legitimately granted you the right to a Belorussian passport, you had him when you were born and when you were 30. Deciding to put through the paperwork and ask for it seems like a silly distinction.

Sounds like a rule that was put in place to make FIBA's life easier, rather than make things fairer. If you just make anyone who got their passport after 16 'naturalised', you don't have to investigate the existence of every last 'Belorussian grandfather'.

PostPosted: 11/20/15 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
They wonder whether the players that Nigeria finds every year (a great effort by an individual who is not even affiliated with their federation) really all have childhood documentation of their ties to the country.

I could almost construct a whole Nigerian team based on parental heritage right off the top of my head. You have the four Ogwumike sisters, Liz Cambage, Natalie Achonwa, Nneka Enemkpali, Temi Fagbenle, and the three New Yorkers who played on the 2011 Nigerian team, including Ros Gold-Onwude. That's 11 right there. Very Happy

Edit: I just checked, and the other two New Yorkers -- Adeola Olanrewaju and Mayoya Onikute -- were born in Nigeria, so I guess they qualify on their own.

awhom111

PostPosted: 11/21/15 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
They wonder whether the players that Nigeria finds every year (a great effort by an individual who is not even affiliated with their federation) really all have childhood documentation of their ties to the country.

I could almost construct a whole Nigerian team based on parental heritage right off the top of my head. You have the four Ogwumike sisters, Liz Cambage, Natalie Achonwa, Nneka Enemkpali, Temi Fagbenle, and the three New Yorkers who played on the 2011 Nigerian team, including Ros Gold-Onwude. That's 11 right there. Very Happy

Edit: I just checked, and the other two New Yorkers -- Adeola Olanrewaju and Mayoya Onikute -- were born in Nigeria, so I guess they qualify on their own.

Heck you missed some WNBA players there in among others Elizabeth Williams and Glory Johnson. Plus there are multiple Amukamara sisters.

There is some criticism of this practice on the men's side, but not on the women's side yet as they have not had the same level of success.

TheSponge

PostPosted: 11/25/15 3:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/3518023/opals-call-on-griffin/?cs=81

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: