RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2015-2016 Coaches Hot Seat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greatgator

PostPosted: 10/04/15 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

McCallie still gets players at Duke on the strength of Duke's academic reputation, I suspect. Plus she does have good assistants, when she doesn't drive them away--although what she has done with or to Al Brown is a mystery still

Al Brown appears to be back in action and doing ok during the preseason.

He was MIA much of last season due to leaking spinal fluid

http://www.knoxnews.com/govolsxtra/basketball/duke-assistant-al-brown-sidelined-by-spinal-fluid-leak_84596383

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/05/15 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Thanks for the rundown ... so why is she still around? Some here are saying that Purdue just doesn't care about women's basketball, which is sadly too often the case, but isn't Versyp relatively well paid? I can understand Arizona sticking with Niya Butts because they don't care and don't spend much money, but it seems that not caring would also imply not spending money?

Or does Versyp do well with the alumni and administration?

Versyp has a personality like course sandpaper and does not ingratiate herself well to alumni or boosters. She is still very well paid, with her compensation package well over 600k, and just got a raise with an extension this last spring. Beyond that, I have no clue why she is still there. The AD is close to retirement and I think he is just letting her ride out his last three years and let her be the next guys problem. Attendance has been steadily falling since she got here and sales for season tickets next year are WAY WAY down. These are long time fans that will not be easy to get back. Purdue could easily be down to less then 1000 actual attendance for games this next year, once you throw out the no shows who buy tickets just to increase their JPC points and the student ticket packages that never actually go to women's games. Sold tickets will still be above 4k I would guess on the strength of those two groups, but it is a far far fall from the 6-7k of butts in the seats just 12-15 years ago. Three more years of Versyp will very effectively destroy the program and make it the worst in the conference, and with IU in the Big Ten that is saying a lot.

You know, WBB isn't alone at Purdue. People forget they had at one time a proud and high quality football program. The cradle of NFL QBs Now they struggle to beat MAC teams. MBB isn't exactly thriving either. They have bigger probems in the athletic dept than just the WBB coach. I would think it unlikely that WBB gets fixed unless some of the bigger issues get fixed. The first question is, does the Purdue administration even care anymore.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/05/15 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Any of you who are still sneering at Holly Warlick can get over it too. She also just got an extension and a raise.
http://www.wbir.com/story/sports/2015/10/02/lady-vols-coach-holly-warlick-gets-extension-raise/73203046/

I doubt anyone expected her to get fired.
That also misses the point.

snzuluz

PostPosted: 10/05/15 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UW-Madison is on the hot, hot, hot seat! but then again barry A the AD could care less about women's basketball!

snzuluz

PostPosted: 10/05/15 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bradley University should also be added to that list...with a new AD someone might actually care.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/05/15 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greatgator wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

McCallie still gets players at Duke on the strength of Duke's academic reputation, I suspect. Plus she does have good assistants, when she doesn't drive them away--although what she has done with or to Al Brown is a mystery still

Al Brown appears to be back in action and doing ok during the preseason.

He was MIA much of last season due to leaking spinal fluid

http://www.knoxnews.com/govolsxtra/basketball/duke-assistant-al-brown-sidelined-by-spinal-fluid-leak_84596383

Glad Al is better. He is a true jewel and was much loved by the Lady Vols when he was here (although also much teased about his sweaters). Oddly enough, I just reconnected with an old friend who had been MIA for several years, and she'd had the same problem as Al. Weird, that.

PostPosted: 11/24/15 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dorow at Valpo?

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 11/26/15 12:06 am    ::: Terri Williams-Flournoy Reply Reply with quote

Terri Williams-Flournoy's seat at Auburn is SCORCHING EARTH!!! She has had absolutely everything needed to be competitive and her teams have declined every year since the first. In other words, without players that Nell Fortner recruited, she has been totally lost. I could go on and on.

She is a very nice person with a beautiful family, but there seems to be no sense of urgency on her part to make any changes. It all begins with recruiting or the lack thereof. Time will tell.

Lillian Hidgepork

PostPosted: 11/26/15 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would not count out UT's coach from feeling some heat, no matter what kind of extension she has got.

Auburn, Vandy and Ole Miss have started out horrendous. Vandys coach has been there for years, the others are working on at least 3rd year I think so the seat will start to get warm soon even for Ole Miss. Win or you will get fired at the BCS level.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 11/27/15 11:02 pm    ::: Re: Terri Williams-Flournoy Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
Terri Williams-Flournoy's seat at Auburn is SCORCHING EARTH!!! She has had absolutely everything needed to be competitive and her teams have declined every year since the first. In other words, without players that Nell Fortner recruited, she has been totally lost. I could go on and on.

She is a very nice person with a beautiful family, but there seems to be no sense of urgency on her part to make any changes. It all begins with recruiting or the lack thereof. Time will tell.

On the bright side, Auburn beat Boise State by two?

joetro

PostPosted: 12/07/15 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jody Adams? What's going on at Wichita State?

Richard 77

PostPosted: 12/13/15 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snzuluz wrote:
UW-Madison is on the hot, hot, hot seat! but then again barry A the AD could care less about women's basketball!

Time to pull the trigger and get Wisconsin out of the coaching mess they're in.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/13/15 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richard 77 wrote:
snzuluz wrote:

Time to pull the trigger and get Wisconsin out of the coaching mess they're in.

You'll have to pull the trigger on Barry first, and that ain't happening! Once again, in case you didn't hear it the first time, Barry DOES NOT CARE.

PostPosted: 12/13/15 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

auburn lost again. To Marquette, A team with lots of frosh on it.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 12/28/15 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess this thread wasn't enough...we needed a 2nd.

Durantula

PostPosted: 12/28/15 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since non conference play is basically over I think the main coaches who I think may have questionable long term futures at their current schools include Niya Butts at Arizona, Flournoy at Auburn, Hatchell at UNC, and Bollant at Illinois.

Florida was one I had questions about preseason but they are looking better and made some staffing changes which may have helped.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/28/15 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Since non conference play is basically over I think the main coaches who I think may have questionable long term futures at their current schools include Niya Butts at Arizona, Flournoy at Auburn, Hatchell at UNC, and Bollant at Illinois.

Florida was one I had questions about preseason but they are looking better and made some staffing changes which may have helped.

What about Wisconsin? I would think there should be some heat on Kelsey at this point.

Durantula

PostPosted: 12/28/15 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Durantula wrote:

What about Wisconsin? I would think there should be some heat on Kelsey at this point.

I forgot about her but yes I think Wisconsin has been in a rough spot for a few years. Did she get a contract extension though? That obviously would play a big factor in any future moves.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/28/15 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
Durantula wrote:

I forgot about her but yes I think Wisconsin has been in a rough spot for a few years. Did she get a contract extension though? That obviously would play a big factor in any future moves.

Another case where the AD does not care.

PostPosted: 12/28/15 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How is Nikki formerly-Caldwell-but-I-can't-remember-her-married-name-right-now able to sit down on a seat as hot as the surface of the sun?

(now with spelling variations)
icey23

PostPosted: 12/28/15 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
How is Nikki formerly-Caldwell-but-I-can't-remember-her-married-name-right-now able to sit down on a seat as hot as the surface of the sun?

I just watch this team lose to Samford in person, talk about HORRIBLE.....I watch some die hard lady tiger fans walk out the game in the 3rd qtr. Nikki's horrible recruiting has really bit her in the azz, I hope LSU fires her in the AM!!!

PostPosted: 12/29/15 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

FARGAS.

PostPosted: 12/29/15 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

icey23 wrote:
Queenie wrote:

I just watch this team lose to Samford in person, talk about HORRIBLE.....I watch some die hard lady tiger fans walk out the game in the 3rd qtr. Nikki's horrible recruiting has really bit her in the azz, I hope LSU fires her in the AM!!!

Wonder what the problem is. It seems like she should have a big recruiting advantage - 43 year old black woman with a great pedigree and good track record recruiting for one of the better SEC teams historically, including under her tenure. She also looks very charismatic and cool.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 12/29/15 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Queenie wrote:

FARGAS.

Nikki is married to former NFL running back Justin Fargas. Justin is the son of actor Antonio Fargas, best known for playing Huggy Bear in the Starsky & Hutch TV series.

Nikki and Justin tied the knot in Las Vegas on August 2014.

http://theadvocate.com/sports/10192440-123/lsus-nikki-caldwell-makes-it

PostPosted: 12/29/15 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

We. Are. Screwed. LSU that is....we won't be getting rid of Fargas anytime soon after Alleva's epic mis-handling of the Les Miles situation. LSU basketball is in a tailspin we won't soon recover from. Sue Gunter is turning over in her grave.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: