RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Shoni Schimmel 2015-16 Off-Season Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/28/15 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not convinced playing in Turkey or Hungary or whatever refines one's point guard skills.

She'd likely be better off working with a coach and trainer here.

zune69

PostPosted: 09/28/15 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I'm not convinced playing in Turkey or Hungary or whatever refines one's point guard skills.

She'd likely be better off working with a coach and trainer here.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/28/15 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe Sloot used a trainer after her first WNBA season (or was it after her second season?), but she seems to be developing well playing her last couple of seasons in Poland (with Quigley).

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 10/02/15 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think part of the problem for Shoni is that when she is not playing, she is in demand for basketball camps, and is visiting Native American communities where she is more or less a rock star. Under these circumstances it would be pretty easy to let conditioning slide. So for that reason, I'd love to see her playing somewhere overseas. Now it would be great if she could do both - play overseas and do the work in her community, but I don't know if that's possible. Next season may be make or break for her - if she comes back to camp like next year, she may be let go.

bbdawg1959

PostPosted: 10/20/15 3:51 pm    ::: Shoni playing in Israel? Reply Reply with quote

Here's the Atlanta Dream's official report as of Oct. 20 on players overseas.

http://dream.wnba.com/news/dream-overseas-report-oct-20/

Interesting that for Shoni, the Dream simply references a 10/14 story from the Louisville Courier Journal saying that it is "possible" that Shoni will play in Israel.

Does this mean that the Dream has no idea whether she will or won't and therefore has to rely on other sources? Or maybe the Dream already knows that it's a no go?

AAOK423

PostPosted: 10/20/15 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She and Jude have already started doing some speaking events at reservations and schools so id guess its probably not happening. I believe Jeff Walz was the one to originally make the comment about Israel, may have just spoke t0o soon. They may have change their mind considering all the violence going on over their right now. If the season starts on the 26th I suppose we will find out soon enough whether their going or not.

AAOK423

PostPosted: 10/20/15 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://instagram.com/p/9E22oivov5/

Might be the answer to the overseas question.

toad455

PostPosted: 10/20/15 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAOK423 wrote:

I guess this confirms she's not playing overseas again.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
AAOK423

PostPosted: 10/21/15 12:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
AAOK423 wrote:

Id say this is a good indication she's not in Israel right now, beyond that its just an assumption.

awhom111

PostPosted: 10/21/15 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Shoni wanted to play with Jude as a package, that would really cut down on the options because of the positional fit in the presence of foreign player restrictions. It would have been cool to see the sisters Schimmel and Anne Marie Armstrong team up together in Israel or something though.

I am still undecided on all of these teams' overseas reports. It is good to keep the fans informed, but it is also a constant reminder that we can't keep all of the players here during the offseason. If the players spend more of the year and get paid more overseas, are they really WNBA players playing overseas or overseas players playing in the WNBA?

Shades

PostPosted: 10/21/15 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
If Shoni wanted to play with Jude as a package, that would really cut down on the options because of the positional fit in the presence of foreign player restrictions. It would have been cool to see the sisters Schimmel and Anne Marie Armstrong team up together in Israel or something though.

I am still undecided on all of these teams' overseas reports. It is good to keep the fans informed, but it is also a constant reminder that we can't keep all of the players here during the offseason. If the players spend more of the year and get paid more overseas, are they really WNBA players playing overseas or overseas players playing in the WNBA?

Sounded like they would be satisfied just playing in the same league.... not necessarily the same team.

Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 10/21/15 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:

It's still WNBA players playing overseas. Because the status of being a WNBA player is what makes them such a hot commodity overseas. And I'm sure it shows in the jobs and amount of money they get as opposed to non wnba players. Them being a star in Israel/Poland/wherever doesn't mean that much to most when they sign to a WNBA team.

PostPosted: 11/02/15 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
AAOK423 wrote:

Dream website has 10-26-15 update on players overseas. No mention of Shoni.

Jdub

PostPosted: 11/04/15 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had to do a double-take when I saw this was at UCONN.

Michael V Pearson

PostPosted: 11/05/15 3:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Schimmel is one of the players that I will never give up on. Just like I didn't give up on Bently and Zealous. Look where they are now. One improves so much in 2015, the other had won MIP in 2012 with a championship ring to her name.

I just hope Schimmel knows what she's doing. I expect that she eventually goes overseas but if she chooses to stay, so be it. She needs to be working out and be strict on her diet, wherever she is. If she could just build some muscles and step up on her defensive play, I think 2016 could be her breakthrough year.

AAOK423

PostPosted: 11/05/15 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't know exactly where to put this, but since Shoni did post it on her twitter (during the off season) I suppose this is a good as place as any. Jude got to moderate a panel at the White House Tribal Nations Conference between native youth and President Obama.

The President takes a brief moment to compliment Jude on her basketball skill and mentions how her and Shoni have made Indian country proud.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/live/2015-white-house-tribal-nations-conference

Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 11/05/15 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michael V Pearson wrote:
Schimmel is one of the players that I will never give up on. Just like I didn't give up on Bently and Zealous. Look where they are now. One improves so much in 2015, the other had won MIP in 2012 with a championship ring to her name.

I just hope Schimmel knows what she's doing. I expect that she eventually goes overseas but if she chooses to stay, so be it. She needs to be working out and be strict on her diet, wherever she is. If she could just build some muscles and step up on her defensive play, I think 2016 could be her breakthrough year.

Why would you give up on any of them? They are in the league. They are getting all the opportunities they can get to succeed or fail. It's not giving up on players that are not in the league that everyone else has seemingly given up on. That's a true fan.

PostPosted: 11/05/15 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAOK423 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
AAOK423 wrote:

Id say this is a good indication she's not in Israel right now, beyond that its just an assumption.

It would be interesting if she did play in Israel since friends who did not know much about her asked me if she is Jewish.

PostPosted: 11/05/15 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When a player does not put an effort like a professional is expected to put on, you start to think they are not serious and commited enough to be in the league. The feels fall out sometimes. But what do I know? I'm not with them 24/7, I don't know their daily routine. I got my info from social media and they don't owe me anything. I can't tell them what to do, it's their responsibilities. As a fan that's how I feel. You don't get to say who's a true fan or not, true fan is not defined.

Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 11/05/15 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michael V Pearson wrote:
When a player does not put an effort like a professional is expected to put on, you start to think they are not serious and commited enough to be in the league. The feels fall out sometimes. But what do I know? I'm not with them 24/7, I don't know their daily routine. I got my info from social media and they don't owe me anything. I can't tell them what to do, it's their responsibilities. As a fan that's how I feel. You don't get to say who's a true fan or not, true fan is not defined.

I guess I was speaking more about Bentley and Zellous. Especially Bentley who has always had at least moderate success and has never been cut.

PostPosted: 11/05/15 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bentley has been good lately. She was an all star for the first time and at one point, we thought that the Sun was the contender to beat. Shoni and ATL not so much. As much as I'm still bitter that Bentley was traded, I think it is the right move for Shoni to be traded. Not because ATL doesn't want her, but the fact that she has more value to others. Maybe she can go west to Minny or Phoenix. I'm a major advocate of these two team so I'm a little bit bias. I'm all about keeping Shoni at the west.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/08/15 7:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even Jude Schimmel is marketable in Nike's eyes.

Michael V Pearson

PostPosted: 11/08/15 8:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Even Jude Schimmel is marketable in Nike's eyes.

I thought it was Shoni at first look. Good for Jude. Looks like she's staying at home. I guess Shoni's not going oversea this offseason.

Randy

PostPosted: 11/08/15 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see Jude running for public office some day - maybe soon.

UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 11/08/15 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I see Jude running for public office some day - maybe soon.

Several questions; Is she political? What level of office?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: