58%
 58%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 29

bballgrl

PostPosted: 09/28/15 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Scarab wrote:
mb1 wrote:
http://www.wnba.com/news/wnba-statement-on-call-in-lynx-mercury-game/

For those who may not have clicked on the link yet to read the full statement from the WNBA:

With 5.4 seconds on the game clock and the game tied at 71-71, Minnesotas Maya Moore deflected and stole a pass from Phoenixs Noelle Quinn. Quinn was immediately called for a reach-in foul for contact on Moore. After reviewing postgame video and interviewing last nights game officials, we have determined a foul should not have been called on Quinn for contact on Moore while Moore was attempting to advance the ball.

So what good does that do now! Maya knew that Quin didn't foul her, in fact when you look at it in slow motion Maya fouled Quin. If the situation would have been reversed and the foul had been called on Maya you can bet some Lynx fans would have been complaining. My point is what good does it do to put out this statement- all it does is rub salt into the wound for the Merc team. The majority of the fans watching knew that was a bs call. What they should do is have them play game 2 over but that won't happen. The Merc could well have won that game in overtime-we will never know. Problem is, neither team had the opportunity to show us who would have won in a fair game. I think it is terrible what that ref did and I would feel the same way if it would have happened to the Lynx. Almost makes me want to stop watching until the league does a better job with the refs.

Brinx

PostPosted: 09/28/15 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
Scarab wrote:
mb1 wrote:

For those who may not have clicked on the link yet to read the full statement from the WNBA:

With 5.4 seconds on the game clock and the game tied at 71-71, Minnesotas Maya Moore deflected and stole a pass from Phoenixs Noelle Quinn. Quinn was immediately called for a reach-in foul for contact on Moore. After reviewing postgame video and interviewing last nights game officials, we have determined a foul should not have been called on Quinn for contact on Moore while Moore was attempting to advance the ball.

So what good does that do now! Maya knew that Quin didn't foul her, in fact when you look at it in slow motion Maya fouled Quin. If the situation would have been reversed and the foul had been called on Maya you can bet some Lynx fans would have been complaining. My point is what good does it do to put out this statement- all it does is rub salt into the wound for the Merc team. The majority of the fans watching knew that was a bs call. What they should do is have them play game 2 over but that won't happen. The Merc could well have won that game in overtime-we will never know. Problem is, neither team had the opportunity to show us who would have won in a fair game. I think it is terrible what that ref did and I would feel the same way if it would have happened to the Lynx. Almost makes me want to stop watching until the league does a better job with the refs.

It's pretty standard for a professional league to address controversial calls like this one and let people know their opinion on it. Doesn't change anything but helps with transparency and let's everyone know that they are aware when problems arise. I've seen almost every pro male leagues have a situation with questionable calls that the league addressed in a similar fashion; I'm glad the WNBA at least maked the effort to acknowledge the bad call.

bballgrl

PostPosted: 09/28/15 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brinx wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
Scarab wrote:
mb1 wrote:

It's pretty standard for a professional league to address controversial calls like this one and let people know their opinion on it. Doesn't change anything but helps with transparency and let's everyone know that they are aware when problems arise. I've seen almost every pro male leagues have a situation with questionable calls that the league addressed in a similar fashion; I'm glad the WNBA at least maked the effort to acknowledge the bad call.

I bet it doesn't make Phoenix feel any better. There were other ref's present and it should have been acknowledged when it happened. I've seen ref's overrule a bad call many times.

justintyme

PostPosted: 09/28/15 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
Brinx wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
Scarab wrote:
mb1 wrote:

I bet it doesn't make Phoenix feel any better. There were other ref's present and it should have been acknowledged when it happened. I've seen ref's overrule a bad call many times.

If another ref saw for sure it didn't happen, they could have conferenced and changed the call on the spot. But most of the time there is no certainty from the other refs in the moment, so no way for them to say their colleague got it wrong. It is only with slow motion replay and multiple angles that we know it was bad.

And there isn't anything that is going to make Phoenix feel better. That is not why they release statements like this. It is done in an attempt at accountability and transparency. It is something impossible to "fix" so they basically let people know it was noted. In a perfect world that would mean it would be used as a teaching moment so as to make sure it would never happen again, but it's the W so I wouldn't hold my breath.

PostPosted: 09/30/15 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

larmarch5 wrote:
Lot's of officiating rules in the WNBA need to be cleaned up. #1 is to stop allowing the bulldozing of the bigs under the basket. That's why we've got all these 6'4 and 6'5" players wanting to play on the perimeter. They don't want the bruising shoving and elbows and gouging that is allowed when they post up. Can you imagine the guards' defenders being allowed to body up and shove them off their spots? Of course not; it would be chaos. Well, that's what you've go going on in the paint. And it's not the players with the most basketball talent that are valued for those positions; it's those with linebacker skills.

If the NBA were officiated this way, THERE WOULD BE BLOOD.
aur

Yeah, the Wnba allow tons of stuff, like rewarding the Mercury, Diana just sit on the bench and Mercury get the top pick. It's just so unfair to other teams. I knew Seattle, was going to get Stewart, lottery balls my ass. That shit is rigged.

ninti9

PostPosted: 09/30/15 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jlight wrote:
mercfan wrote:
Question for Minny fans. Does the thought of Diana and Penny coming back healthy (if they do) strike fear in anyone's mind considering how closely we played you this year without them. Not a knock just a question.

Also after calming down, congrats to the Lynx. They stayed consistent all year long and got it together at the right time down the stretch of the season. I don't think either team in the east imposes a bigger threat than we did on Minnesota. I think personally Minny has to win this year as Whalen seems to be slowing down quite a bit. Man I love this rivalry. I love the Lynx because I hate them. Minny fans I wish good will and enjoy the ride!

we love you too. DT and PFT > no (maybe little bit) our team is not healthy at all tho. if whalen and mone don't decline and stay healthy. we can compete with yall but it depends who gets homecourt

Whalen, and Seimone. clearly not themselves

sportsfan48

PostPosted: 09/30/15 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had tickets but could not make the game. Glad I didn't. When I heard about the last foul call, it was disappointing because no team should have to end their season that way. I do feel that the Mercury had a good chance of winning the game and going to Minny and winning there to advance.

That said, as much as I love my Mercury and believe in them, I think the Lynx will make the finals more enjoyable to watch for the general audience. I am not going to get into a debate over which team is better and in this case, IMO, it doesn't matter. The Mercury and Lynx have proven that they are pretty evenly matched. For me it is more of which team matches up better with the Eastern conf. teams. I thing Minny matches up better against both Indiana and NY (this year) and would be more challenging than the Mercury.

I think that but then I also have to acknowledge that the Mercury have proven they can be pretty amazing when in full concentration playoff mode and I could be (probably am) very wrong.

As for those who think Penny and DT will be too old and less effective next season, I only have two questions. How old is Catchings? Do you think her game or at least her impact on her team has diminished this season due to her age?

That said, I look forward to next season and playing against Minny. Not because I think Phoenix will be in revenge mode. A part of me thinks that is really silly. I think both teams will be in full competition mode and wanting to win. And knowing that losing may be the difference in home court advantage come playoff time which can be a real motivator. Getting DT and Penny back will be a boon for Phoenix but I think having the opportunity to have a fully healthy team that has adjusted to Fowles in the line up will be a boon for Minny. I expect the games to be very competitive and fun to watch. It is going to be fun to see what the other teams in the West have to add to the mix as well.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 10/01/15 5:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ninti9 wrote:
jlight wrote:
mercfan wrote:
Question for Minny fans. Does the thought of Diana and Penny coming back healthy (if they do) strike fear in anyone's mind considering how closely we played you this year without them. Not a knock just a question.

Also after calming down, congrats to the Lynx. They stayed consistent all year long and got it together at the right time down the stretch of the season. I don't think either team in the east imposes a bigger threat than we did on Minnesota. I think personally Minny has to win this year as Whalen seems to be slowing down quite a bit. Man I love this rivalry. I love the Lynx because I hate them. Minny fans I wish good will and enjoy the ride!

we love you too. DT and PFT > no (maybe little bit) our team is not healthy at all tho. if whalen and mone don't decline and stay healthy. we can compete with yall but it depends who gets homecourt

Dupree and Griner are not themselves either without Taurasi.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/21/16 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ninti9 wrote:

Or being themselves, specifically 32 and 34 years old, is the main problem.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: