Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2015
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ucdt3

PostPosted: 07/28/15 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Random stat notes, as of the All-Star Break ...

1) Phoenix is -67 in rebounds, which pretty much pinpoints the problem

2) The Mercury are +26 in fouls, +31 in free throws, +36 in steals and +41 in blocks

3) DeWanna Bonner is shooting 23.4% from three, but takes four threes a game anyway

4) Candice Dupree can shoot (48% overall, 81.8% from the line) but won't shoot threes. DeWanna, please note ...

5) Leilani Mitchell is making 49.1% of her threes and her A/TO is 46/24

6) Cayla Francis can shoot 48.8%, block shots (2.5/36 minutes), rebound 8.9/36 but is contact-averse (6 FTA in 226 minutes)

7) Alex Harden can't shoot (26.8%)

The Phoenix rebounding has been just terrible to say the least. Pree averages like 5 a contest but she was averaging at least 7.5/8.5 last year. BG is 6'8" but we all know she is not rebound oriented but she's been the best rebounder on the team this year. DB and her 3's....... Leilani needs to shoot more, and a Harden needs to stop. I complain about her shooting every game.

Phoenix won tonight because Griner decided a rebound was important enough to GO GET. (Well that and DB going HAM....finally.)
SCook

PostPosted: 07/29/15 12:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucdt3 wrote:
SCook wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Random stat notes, as of the All-Star Break ...

1) Phoenix is -67 in rebounds, which pretty much pinpoints the problem

2) The Mercury are +26 in fouls, +31 in free throws, +36 in steals and +41 in blocks

3) DeWanna Bonner is shooting 23.4% from three, but takes four threes a game anyway

4) Candice Dupree can shoot (48% overall, 81.8% from the line) but won't shoot threes. DeWanna, please note ...

5) Leilani Mitchell is making 49.1% of her threes and her A/TO is 46/24

6) Cayla Francis can shoot 48.8%, block shots (2.5/36 minutes), rebound 8.9/36 but is contact-averse (6 FTA in 226 minutes)

7) Alex Harden can't shoot (26.8%)

The Phoenix rebounding has been just terrible to say the least. Pree averages like 5 a contest but she was averaging at least 7.5/8.5 last year. BG is 6'8" but we all know she is not rebound oriented but she's been the best rebounder on the team this year. DB and her 3's....... Leilani needs to shoot more, and a Harden needs to stop. I complain about her shooting every game.

Phoenix won tonight because Griner decided a rebound was important enough to GO GET. (Well that and DB going HAM....finally.)

BG leads the team in rebounding though. Even in her 10 games she still leads them in boards. Yeah she's 6'8" but rebounding isn't natural to her. Blocking is and she leads the league in that.

PostPosted: 07/29/15 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I keep thinking how different the Mercury will look next season. Will Francis come back?? Xargay?? They'll add in Harrison. Quinn & Christon should be gone. Do they keep Currie??

PG: Taurasi/Mitchell
SG: Bonner/Harden/draft pick
SF: Taylor/Currie?
PF: Dupree/Bass
C: Griner/Harrison/Francis?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 07/29/15 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I keep thinking how different the Mercury will look next season. Will Francis come back?? Xargay?? They'll add in Harrison. Quinn & Christon should be gone. Do they keep Currie??

PG: Taurasi/Mitchell
SG: Bonner/Harden/draft pick
SF: Taylor/Currie?
PF: Dupree/Bass
C: Griner/Harrison/Francis?

Currie was struggling last night.

mb1

PostPosted: 07/30/15 12:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Taurasi, Mitchell

Taylor, Xargay

bonner, Harden

Dupree, Francis/Bass

Griner, Harrison

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
mb1

PostPosted: 08/14/15 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="mb1"]
mb1 wrote:
Extremely early 2016 Roster prediction:

PG: Taurasi, Mitchell
SG: Taylor, Xargay
SF: Bonner, Quinn or Harden or draft pick

PF: Dupree, Bass
C: Griner, Francis, Harrison

Very preliminary and speculative...yet we were talking about this the other day...

Not certain about Bass or Harden, or that Quinn fits at SF versus SG...just throwing stuff out there...and bumping the thread.

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
mb1

PostPosted: 08/14/15 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also, there is this:

Quote:
Fellow fans have speculated that DT will come back in 2016, lead us to a Championship, win Olympic gold, and be done. Often, I have stated (IMHO) she will back in 2016, 2017, and 2018. Recently, I confirmed that she has a 3 year contract (2015-suspended, 2016, 2017). She conveyed that she feels great, and body willing, hopes to play FOUR more years or so!!! She is under contract for 2016 AND 2017, so we will see what happens.

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
pilight

PostPosted: 08/21/15 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://mercury.wnba.com/news/president-obama-to-honor-wnba-champion-phoenix-mercury-at-the-white-house/

Quote:
On Wednesday, August 26, President Obama will welcome the WNBA Champion Phoenix Mercury to the White House to honor the team and their victory in the WNBA Finals.

PostPosted: 08/21/15 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phoenix is on a downward spiral this season. You would think that Pree or DB would have emerged as leaders by now and the "veterans" that were picked up are a mess too.

Last edited by SCook on 08/22/15 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
bballgrl

PostPosted: 08/21/15 11:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
Phoenix is on a downward spiral this season. You would think that Pree or DT would have emerged as leaders by now and the "veterans" that were picked up are a mess too.

DT isn't even playing this season so how can she emerge as a leader? She is the leader when she is playing.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/22/15 1:15 am    ::: Shock @ Storm - 6/30/15 Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
"veterans" that were picked up are a mess too.

I'll trade you Xargay for Cruz.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 08/22/15 4:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
SCook wrote:
Phoenix is on a downward spiral this season. You would think that Pree or DT would have emerged as leaders by now and the "veterans" that were picked up are a mess too.

DT isn't even playing this season so how can she emerge as a leader? She is the leader when she is playing.

I interpreted DT was supposed to be DB.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/22/15 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The mercury lost DT and Penny who are 2 of their best players and also the leaders of the team and they were replaced with FLB and Currie. So yes ofcourse there will be a big dropoff this season. Are you really suprised?
Bonner and certainly Dupree will never be leaders

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
caune

PostPosted: 08/22/15 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
The mercury lost DT and Penny who are 2 of their best players and also the leaders of the team and they were replaced with FLB and Currie. So yes ofcourse there will be a big dropoff this season. Are you really suprised?
Bonner and certainly Dupree will never be leaders

Exactly. They don;t have it in them. And BG has had other things on her mind. Lack of leadership has been the real problem this season.

PostPosted: 08/22/15 11:48 am    ::: Re: Shock @ Storm - 6/30/15 Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
SCook wrote:

No thank you.

PostPosted: 08/22/15 12:25 pm    ::: Re: Shock @ Storm - 6/30/15 Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
Shades wrote:
SCook wrote:

No thank you.

I'm wondering what would have happened if the Lynx were capable of finding their own foreign bandaid player on their own (instead of trading for a proven one) and they would have kept #11 pick. Let's say they sign Dabovic and draft Stokes. Do they still make the Fowles trade? Who knows how much playing time Stokes and Dabovic would have gotten to show anything.

Could have potentially had
Now: Brunson, Jones
Future: Peters, Dantas, Stokes

Instead of
Now: Fowles, Brunson, Jones
Future: Peters, ????????? (please don't say McCarville or Kelley)

Shades

PostPosted: 08/22/15 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The San Antonio loss locks up a playoff spot for PHX. The playoff berth is the 10th in team history and the Mercury's sixth postseason trip in the last seven seasons.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 08/22/15 1:57 pm    ::: Re: Shock @ Storm - 6/30/15 Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I'm wondering what would have happened if the Lynx were capable of finding their own foreign bandaid player on their own (instead of trading for a proven one) and they would have kept #11 pick. Let's say they sign Dabovic and draft Stokes. Do they still make the Fowles trade? Who knows how much playing time Stokes and Dabovic would have gotten to show anything.

Could have potentially had
Now: Brunson, Jones
Future: Peters, Dantas, Stokes

Instead of
Now: Fowles, Brunson, Jones
Future: Peters, ????????? (please don't say McCarville or Kelley)

Or would the Lynx have drafted Gray at #11 instead of #16, since I have no idea if they ever were interested in Stokes.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/22/15 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
The San Antonio loss locks up a playoff spot for PHX. The playoff berth is the 10th in team history and the Mercury's sixth postseason trip in the last seven seasons.

Tanking Fail Sad

PostPosted: 08/23/15 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Shades wrote:

Tanking Fail Sad

The dream has died Crying or Very sad
Poor Stewie will have to play somewhere else Smile

PostPosted: 08/23/15 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Shades wrote:

Tanking Fail Sad

And, yet, Phoenix would currently be fifth in the East.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 08/23/15 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With PHX making the playoffs, withstanding the loss of DT for the season, and BG for the first 7, is DT as vital to team success as she used to be?
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/23/15 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
caune wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Shades wrote:

Tanking Fail Sad

And, yet, Phoenix would currently be fifth in the East.

Quite right. Which is why we should be put into the lottery regardless of how high we finish within the substandard western conference

PostPosted: 08/23/15 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
With PHX making the playoffs, withstanding the loss of DT for the season, and BG for the first 7, is DT as vital to team success as she used to be?

She's still as vital. Make no mistake. With DT and PT this team is dominating the league and 1st in the West. Without her they are just a decent playoff team.

Also, make no mistake, with BG for the first 7 games, this team may be 19-7 or better. They don't lose some of the games they have when BG was out.

Also, make no mistake, BG's presence alone has this team where they are and so when you put the Most dominating force in the world with one of, if not the best player in the world together you get a damn near perfect season (29-5 or better) and a WNBA Championship.

PostPosted: 08/23/15 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah let's not pretend this Mercury team is even close to last year's. The 2014 Mercury were an exceptional team. This year's version is strictly average.
DT is a huge part of that difference.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 17 of 18

Jump to: