RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Interesting Attendance Stat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/14/15 12:34 pm    ::: Interesting Attendance Stat Reply Reply with quote

I can't remember if this was discussed earlier or not, but I came across a rather interesting stat while looking to see if there was any news on the JMU WBB site yesterday. Seems our girls pull in a pretty decent crowd for their efforts, ranking 39th overall in attendance, and 3rd among non-FBS schools (behind only Gonzaga and Montana). Do we love our Dukes? I guess so! Very Happy

http://www.jmusports.com/news/2015/7/6/WBB_0706154438.aspx

PostPosted: 07/14/15 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, I guess the point is the same, but they are actually also behind: UCONN (Twisted Evil), New Mexico, MTSU, Toledo and Wyoming...

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/w_basketball_RB/reports/Attend/15att.pdf

Most of the mid-majors powers put up really good numbers which would look even better as a percentage of the capacity of the arenas they play in.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 07/14/15 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good post. It's an excellent example of how in certain regions even the mid-major powers of wcbb such as JMU, Gonzaga, UConn, New Mexico, Middle Tennessee etc. can still field major-caliber support from their fanbases...

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/14/15 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It could also be a good measure of

a) How many schools paper the house
b) By how much are attendance numbers padded

I would be very interested in verified revenue figures ... to me, that would really tell the tale about attendance.

For example, at most Cal weekend games, you can get in for $1.

At all NCAA schools, high school coaches can call up and put their whole team on the guest list -- plus two per student, as I recall.

PostPosted: 07/14/15 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JMU is doing major work on its Convocation Center, which I think will increase the capacity a good bit. Nevertheless, the women's games do draw a good (and noisy!) crowd, partly for the simple reason that for the past 7 years, anyway, they've been WINNERS. Except for the years that Elena Delle Donne was at Delaware, they have generally stayed atop the CAA, and Kenny Brooks is continuing to recruit very well...not nationally, but at least regionally, and he dips down into Florida some and up into New Hampshire even. I have no idea how the men's team draws because I honestly never hear anyone talk about them.

PostPosted: 07/20/15 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.utrockets.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18000&ATCLID=210185699

Toledo's long term attendance record. The fans support the team because we have consistently strong teams in a tough conference. Watch the attendance for the next few championships runs. The MAC conference has alot of parity now, which will bring out even more supportive fans. The OOC is very challenging as well, with names like Notre Dame.

Watch for a post called McIntyre. She was voted co-winner of player of the yr(14-15) for Ohio by the AP.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: