RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Misdemeanor Battery or Self-Defense
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 07/07/15 8:53 am    ::: Misdemeanor Battery or Self-Defense Reply Reply with quote

Shocking new footage shows Florida State quarterback De'Andre Johnson PUNCHING a woman in the face HARD at a bar in Tallahassee ... after she punched him in the face first.

It all went down at the Yianni's nightclub on June 24th ... after the woman felt Johnson was aggressively trying to push his way past her to get to the bar.

In the video, released by the State Attorney's office, you can see the woman -- a 21-year-old FSU student -- raises her fist to warn Johnson and he grabs her hand. She then punches him in the face with her left fist.

That's when 19-year-old Johnson responds by throwing a crushing right cross to her face ... you can see the woman bleeding all over the bar.

The woman says she suffered a black eye, swelling all over her face and a cut on her nose.

Johnson has been suspended from the FSU team indefinitely. He has also been charged with misdemeanor battery. The case is ongoing.

<embed><iframe width="509" height="310" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hGGdlL5U61U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://youtu.be/hGGdlL5U61U

It's hard for me to say, because who knows what led up to this before the video was captured.

Nonetheless, if I have a short temper, I am not going to a bar. Especially, if I have an education and career to preserve. Now, he's toast.

TonyL222

PostPosted: 07/07/15 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not that its any excuse, but alcohol seems to have played a part. Reportedly the young woman used the N-Word during their brief conversation.

Still, I can only imagine very few scenarios in which I'd hit a woman. He didn't hit her in self defense. It was retaliation. She appears to be drunk (hard to really tell, though).

pilight

PostPosted: 07/07/15 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He clearly needs to learn the value of a proportional response

PostPosted: 07/07/15 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hear things like this all the time. It's "self defense" because he/she hit me first.

Nope. That's not how it works. All that would mean is that they both are guilty of assault. We are not allowed retaliation under the law. For it to be self defense we have to reasonably believe that taking action is necessary to prevent us from being seriously harmed.

There is no way this guy felt in danger from the woman, and his actions weren't required to stop further assaults from her.

PostPosted: 07/07/15 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He physically altercated with her while her back was turned. That's a big problem. They may have been jostling to get to the bar outside of frame before they even enter the picture. It looks like that's a possibility from the way they come into view. But what we have here is just the footage and judging by that she gets to the bar first with her back to the guy and he is immediately wrangling with that temporary inconvenience in a way that is completely and absolutely inappropriate. She whirls on him as is her right and confronts him verbally and holds up her hands in a self-defense posture. Again, appropriate. He has already been physical with her. He then grabs her arm. Uh-uh. Not appropriate by a mile. She takes a swing at him, absolutely appropriate considering he has a physical hold on her person. She misses and then he punches the shit out of her in the face. I don't know the law and haven't heard from witnesses but going by what's on that video this guy should be in jail for a year and playing Canadian football when he gets out.

PostPosted: 07/07/15 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And why is a 19 year old in a bar?
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 07/07/15 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
He physically altercated with her while her back was turned. That's a big problem. They may have been jostling to get to the bar outside of frame before they even enter the picture. It looks like that's a possibility from the way they come into view. But what we have here is just the footage and judging by that she gets to the bar first with her back to the guy and he is immediately wrangling with that temporary inconvenience in a way that is completely and absolutely inappropriate. She whirls on him as is her right and confronts him verbally and holds up her hands in a self-defense posture. Again, appropriate. He has already been physical with her. He then grabs her arm. Uh-uh. Not appropriate by a mile. She takes a swing at him, absolutely appropriate considering he has a physical hold on her person. She misses and then he punches the shit out of her in the face. I don't know the law and haven't heard from witnesses but going by what's on that video this guy should be in jail for a year and playing Canadian football when he gets out.

Rolling Eyes

A bit hyperbolic.

Yeah I know this is a taboo POV, but why should women have carte blanche regarding physical assault because the victim is male? Stinks of gender bullshit to me. You wanna play, you gonna pay.

Here is another woman who will think twice about escalating a verbal altercation w/ a man by hitting him. And a man who will think twice before retaliating.

Btw, I guess the gender issue supercedes the racism/n-word issue. Lol.

PostPosted: 07/07/15 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

Yeah I know this is a taboo POV, but why should women have carte blanche regarding physical assault because the victim is male? Stinks of gender bullshit to me. You wanna play, you gonna pay.

Here is another woman who will think twice about escalating a verbal altercation w/ a man by hitting him. And a man who will think twice before retaliating.

I'll go with the comment above suggesting that they both probably committed assault and that you don't get one free punch just because somebody punched you. (True, by the way, with any gender/size combination - if you get arrested in a bar fight, chances are your opponent does, too.)

Also, in the real world, the police and prosecutors will go after the bigger, stronger person unless the smaller person started it and used a weapon.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 07/07/15 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Again. He gets physical with her first while her back is turned to him and continues physical aggression after she whirls on him. Video does not show a bar fight. It shows an assault initiated by a much larger male athlete against a woman. We are simply not going to long suffer some kind of a gender equality override of the disparity in size and strength between a man and a woman when there is a physical altercation. Or we are an idiot society. I'm almost 58 years old. There's not a woman alive outside a professional cage fighter who I couldn't absolulty destroy in less than thirty seconds. A guy like this could have killed a man with that punch. She couldn't even make contact. There's the difference. Send him up the river where he belongs and maybe he can play arena football someday.

PostPosted: 07/07/15 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

It didn't get by me.

According to TMZ Sports, DeAndre Johnson has witnesses that will testify that the woman didnt only knee Johnson in the groin and punch him in the face, but she also called him a F*cking N*gger as well.

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2015/07/witnesses-say-woman-called-ex-fsu-qb-a-ngger-before-he-hit-her/

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/07/15 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach is right. He's not in objective fear for his own safety. There's no self defense. His course is to walk away. If he doesn't like it, call the police and have her arrested. But there's no defense to his slugging her in the face.

"She hit me first" is not a legal defense.

And Youth Coach posed another appropriate question - why is a 19 year old at the bar drinking? He should be charged with that, and the bar should have its liquor license suspended.

BTW, really insightful pair of Tweets from CBS's Jon Sullivan:

FSU did the right thing dismissing Johnson. Once again in sports, it took video for harsher punishment to occur after a man hits a woman.

It's as if: A) People are only repulsed by a man hitting a woman if they see it; or B) People don't believe women's claims & police reports.

That said, I am still troubled by Hope Solo's conduct being completely glossed over in all the hype about WC soccer. Guess there was no video so it didn't happen.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 07/07/15 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

It didn't get by me.

According to TMZ Sports, DeAndre Johnson has witnesses that will testify that the woman didnt only knee Johnson in the groin and punch him in the face, but she also called him a F*cking N*gger as well.

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2015/07/witnesses-say-woman-called-ex-fsu-qb-a-ngger-before-he-hit-her/

In what universe of some people's mind does a guy get to grab a girl he doesn't know AT all? lol. He first pins her against the bar and when she turns around (which she has a very hard time doing because of him) he grabs her. Everything she does to him is after that and takes place while he is continuing to physically overpower her. Which he never stops doing up until he blasts her in the face with a closed fist. What she's doing fellas, is called STRUGGLING. Shocked Sorry it looks like a violent attack on his buddy to De'Andre Johnson. And let's get something straight about the N-word. Bad bad vile and hurtful word. But if someone comes out of nowhere and puts a body and hands on a drunk woman she's liable to say some shit. If that dude doesn't spend a year in jail then society and the media (and some folks here) shouldn't come crying about men hitting women and getting away with it.

PostPosted: 07/07/15 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Youth Coach is right. He's not in objective fear for his own safety. There's no self defense. His course is to walk away. If he doesn't like it, call the police and have her arrested. But there's no defense to his slugging her in the face.

And Youth Coach posed another appropriate question - why is a 19 year old at the bar drinking? He should be charged with that, and the bar should have its liquor license suspended.

FSU did the right thing dismissing Johnson. Once again in sports, it took video for harsher punishment to occur after a man hits a woman.

It's as if: A) People are only repulsed by a man hitting a woman if they see it; or B) People don't believe women's claims & police reports.

That said, I am still troubled by Hope Solo's conduct being completely glossed over in all the hype about WC soccer. Guess there was no video so it didn't happen.

He should of walked away from that but her dumb ass should of kept her hands to herself. What was her reasoning for it anyway? Because he pushed into her? It's a crowded bar, get over yourself...Picked a fight with someone for no reason.

I have been in bars & clubs and seen men of ALL races knock females out cold because they put their hands on them. I'm not saying that's right AT ALL but you have no idea who the hell people are or how they were raised then add alcohol to the equation....STOP PUTTING YOUR HANDS ON FOLKS... PERIOD.

If you want to be treated like a lady, then act like one and not call foul when your actions see consequences.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/07/15 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

He should of walked away from that but her dumb ass should of kept her hands to herself. What was her reasoning for it anyway? Because he pushed into her? It's a crowded bar, get over yourself...Picked a fight with someone for no reason.

I have been in bars & clubs and seen men of ALL races knock females out cold because they put their hands on them. I'm not saying that's right AT ALL but you have no idea who the hell people are or how they were raised then add alcohol to the equation....STOP PUTTING YOUR HANDS ON FOLKS... PERIOD.

If you want to be treated like a lady, then act like one and not call foul when your actions see consequences.

I don't disagree, and she could or should be arrested and charged too.

But just because she's an idiot doesn't excuse him or provide a defense to the charges against him.

And she likely did not have as much to lose.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 07/07/15 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But he didn't WANT to walk away from it. He INITIATED it. It was what HE wanted. To do. To her. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 07/07/15 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I don't disagree, and she could or should be arrested and charged too.

But just because she's an idiot doesn't excuse him or provide a defense to the charges against him.

And she likely did not have as much to lose.

I agree.

Remember this?

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HuKMzLwrl7Y?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HuKMzLwrl7Y

Prosecutors dropped the charges when they saw the footage, the girl pressed charges on him and had him arrested. He is a club bouncer working several jobs to support his family.

The charges against the male was dropped because it was self-defense. The prosecutors even posed and took a flick with him smiling.

Queenie

PostPosted: 07/07/15 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I'm a Florida State quarterback and I've seen the circus that was Jameis Winston, why is my ass going anywhere not related to classes or football?

PostPosted: 07/07/15 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
If I'm a Florida State quarterback and I've seen the circus that was Jameis Winston, why is my ass going anywhere not related to classes or football?

I got this. Because you're exactly the kind of violent idiot who would punch a girl in the face? Some little thing I've somehow managed to go 58 years without doing? Shocked

PostPosted: 07/08/15 5:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
But he didn't WANT to walk away from it. He INITIATED it. It was what HE wanted. To do. To her. Rolling Eyes

Not seeing your conclusion that he initiated it. You are right we don't see what happened prior off camera. You say he pushed her from behind. It could very well be that in a tight crowd (which it appears to be) he was josttled and bumped into her by accident.

She spun and reacted verbally. She raised her right fist in a threatening manner, which is assault ("...the threat of bodily harm that reasonably causes fear of harm in the victim)". He protects himself by grabbing her fisted arm. All this time verbal assualts seem to be going both ways. She attempts to knee him in the groin (battery). She punches him with her left fist - battery, whether she connected or not. He punches her - battery.l

They are both equally guilty under the law, IMO. There might be some nuances with age and state of intoxication. The bar may have some culpability - even with the number of people in the bar at the time vs occupancy.

Just saying that this video can be seen from very different perspectives. In my book, a real man woulda walked away - but I'm old and ancient Confused

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 07/08/15 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

Not seeing your conclusion that he initiated it. You are right we don't see what happened prior off camera. You say he pushed her from behind. It could very well be that in a tight crowd (which it appears to be) he was josttled and bumped into her by accident.

She spun and reacted verbally. She raised her right fist in a threatening manner, which is assault ("...the threat of bodily harm that reasonably causes fear of harm in the victim)". He protects himself by grabbing her fisted arm. All this time verbal assualts seem to be going both ways. She attempts to knee him in the groin (battery). She punches him with her left fist - battery, whether she connected or not. He punches her - battery.l

They are both equally guilty under the law, IMO. There might be some nuances with age and state of intoxication. The bar may have some culpability - even with the number of people in the bar at the time vs occupancy.

Just saying that this video can be seen from very different perspectives. In my book, a real man woulda walked away - but I'm old and ancient Confused

I'm not even sure he used a closed fist.

Anyway, I wonder if things would have unfolded differently if their skin colors/genders were different- both white, both black, she black/he white, he/he, she/he, she/she.

PostPosted: 07/08/15 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They should both get assault charges. (He didn't need to do anything more than restrain her for self defense.)

But I would think it would be obvious why one is more wrong than the other. She makes contact, she probably hurts her hand more than his face. He could have killed her if he hit her hard enough.

PostPosted: 07/09/15 5:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
They should both get assault charges. (He didn't need to do anything more than restrain her for self defense.)

But I would think it would be obvious why one is more wrong than the other. She makes contact, she probably hurts her hand more than his face. He could have killed her if he hit her hard enough.

Is he legally more wrong? I know its a brief clip without sound or context, but maybe one of the lawyers here can weigh in. But the fact that he hit harder doesn't mean he was "more wrong", IMHO. He certainly cause more pain, and he certainly looks like an ass. But they appear equally wrong to me.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/10/15 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why do Florida State football players keep punching women in the face in bars?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13234576/dalvin-cook-florida-state-seminoles

Quote:
"I told him I had a boyfriend and wasn't interested," said the woman, who spoke to ESPN.com on the condition she not be identified. The woman said the argument became heated, and then Cook punched her in the face several times. Her friend ran to a nearby Tallahassee police car, which wasn't occupied, so the woman called 911.

"They kept telling me they were football players," the woman said. "They kept telling me to Google them. They told me they were football players and they could buy me in two years."

beknighted

PostPosted: 07/10/15 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Is he legally more wrong? I know its a brief clip without sound or context, but maybe one of the lawyers here can weigh in. But the fact that he hit harder doesn't mean he was "more wrong", IMHO. He certainly cause more pain, and he certainly looks like an ass. But they appear equally wrong to me.

"He hit her harder" doesn't mean that she didn't commit assault, but the reality is that prosecutors are much more likely to go after someone who could have hurt the other person than someone who couldn't. If you shove someone, that's technically assault, but the shovee won't have any luck finding a cop to arrest you for it or a prosecutor who will try you for it, unless you shove the person into traffic or over a cliff (or, needless to say, unless the shovee is a cop).

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 07/10/15 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shovee

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: