RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Women's World Cup 2015
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beknighted

PostPosted: 07/06/15 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was at the Nationals game during the match (good old ESPN Sunday Night Baseball). The crowd reaction to the early goals was just giddy, and there was a huge roar when they posted the final score, probably bigger than for the home run that put the Nats ahead in the 6th.

It was really touching for Carli Lloyd to give the captain's armband to Abby Wambach when Wambach came in as a substitute. And I have a sense that Wambach was something of a sensei for this team, too, so it was fitting. (Not just because of her, uh, stirring speech before the 2nd half of the China game.)

toad455

PostPosted: 07/06/15 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The early TV ratings from FOX are saying the game drew 22 million viewers, breaking the record from the 1999 WWC Final of 17.9 million.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY

Last edited by toad455 on 07/06/15 5:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
beknighted

PostPosted: 07/06/15 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I forgot to mention this: My wife and I got to the Nationals game early (picking up our Stephen Strasburg bobblehead dolls), and after buying our sausage sandwiches were on the escalator to our seats by 7:15 Eastern. Somebody behind us said something like "They're already up 2-0" and I did a double-take because I knew the game had just started. It didn't really seem possible (although I did think to myself that they obviously were highly motivated by wanting revenge for 2011.) Then they scored the 3rd goal while were eating - and before the Giants were even done with batting practice - and the Nats pre-game host announced it. It was kind of surreal.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 07/06/15 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
I forgot to mention this: My wife and I got to the Nationals game early (picking up our Stephen Strasburg bobblehead dolls), and after buying our sausage sandwiches were on the escalator to our seats by 7:15 Eastern. Somebody behind us said something like "They're already up 2-0" and I did a double-take because I knew the game had just started. It didn't really seem possible (although I did think to myself that they obviously were highly motivated by wanting revenge for 2011.) Then they scored the 3rd goal while were eating - and before the Giants were even done with batting practice - and the Nats pre-game host announced it. It was kind of surreal.

I heard the Strasburg bobble heads go on the DL a lot....

beknighted

PostPosted: 07/06/15 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
beknighted wrote:

I heard the Strasburg bobble heads go on the DL a lot....

Since they don't actually pitch, it's about the same as having him on your team.

HistoryWomensBasketball

PostPosted: 07/06/15 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

was at a Def Leppard concert last night.

Lead singer announced how the US trounced Japan. a huge ovation and the next song was dedicated to the team.

was pretty damn cool to hear it not only acknowledged on stage like that but also the applause.

www.barnstormingamerica.net
toad455

PostPosted: 07/06/15 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
The early TV ratings from FOX are saying the game drew 22 million viewers, breaking the record from the 1999 WWC Final of 17.9 million.

22 million was lower Fox thought. The game drew 25.4 million viewers, shattering the 1999 WWC ratings & beating the US men's 2014 WC match vs. Portugal(18.2 million) making it the most watched soccer(men's or women's) match in US history.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/06/womens-world-cup-record-ratings

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: