RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Better record - Sun or Shock

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which team will have the better record at the end of the year?
Connecticut Sun
82%
 82%  [ 19 ]
Tulsa Shock
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Same record
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 23

calbearman76

PostPosted: 07/02/15 10:30 pm    ::: Better record - Sun or Shock Reply Reply with quote

Tulsa and Connecticut were the best stories in the WNBA in June. Both lost their first game and then ran off impressive winning streaks. Now both teams have lost two straight (Tulsa is down 25 in the third quarter so I'm counting it as a loss.)

The Sun played a very weak schedule in June but impressively kept winning. Alex Bentley all but wrapped up Most Improved Player, barring injury. Kelsey Bone showed the promise she had, but never quite lived up to, going into college. Chelsea Gray was the best long range shooter in the WNBA, making a case for Rookie of the Year Then with just a few hours to go in the month as Bentley hit a corner 3 to pull the Sun within 3 against Indiana with just over a minute to go, Bone was called for a flagrant 2 foul. Not only did the foul cost Connecticut the game; she also got suspended for a game which the team also lost. The Sun had looked so good down the stretch up until tonight's game, but they laid an egg tonight.

Tulsa was the best team in June. They split with Minnesota and beat Washington, with all three games on the road. Plenette Pierson looked like the Comeback Player of the Year. Courtney Paris reverted back to her college form. Skyler Diggins was the MVP of the West. And even an injury to Odyssey Sims didn't slow down the Shock. But then Diggins got hurt late in a game against Seattle, and even though Tulsa hung on to win, the Shock's season took an awful turn. Without either Sims or Diggins, Tulsa lost to Seattle and is now down 25 to Phoenix.

So I ask the question, which team will wind up with the better record?

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 07/02/15 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope they both finish with a winning record.

PostPosted: 07/03/15 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At this point it is hard to say which team will end up with the better record. Tulsa's fate hangs on how soon Sims returns.

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/03/15 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
Tulsa's fate hangs on how soon Sims returns.

You hit the nail on the head. If Sims comes back soon -- and at 100% -- I think Tulsa will be OK.

The Suns's loss last night actually made me feel better about them. I thought they might lose big without Bone. The fact that they led for most of the game was pretty impressive to me. What's clear is that they don't have a "go to" player down the stretch. Alex Bentley is still walking that fine line between chucker and star. Make a lot of difficult (i.e., ill-advised) shots and you're a star. Miss a lot of difficult shots and you're a chucker. We saw both sides yesterday. Bentley made a lot of shots, but she also threw up a lot of bricks and airballs.

Based on last night's game, I'd be worried about Chicago. Their offense is great, but the team lacks depth and their defense is suspect. It's a good thing that Laney has quietly given them some solid minutes off the bench.

PostPosted: 09/09/15 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With 94% of games reported, we can call a winner in the race. 3 of 23 were right, taking Tulsa. Tulsa had a 2-12 run June 30-August 12 but pulled out of their slide down the stretch. Meanwhile after the Sun's 7 game winning streak, they had losing streaks of 6 and 7 games while having back-to back wins only once.

Next year should be better for the Sun with Chiney and others getting healthy. Tulsa will be moving to Dallas and could be better with Skyler back, but unless they find a better post player 18-20 wins seems like a ceiling.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/09/15 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
With 94% of games reported, we can call a winner in the race. 3 of 23 were right, taking Tulsa. Tulsa had a 2-12 run June 30-August 12 but pulled out of their slide down the stretch. Meanwhile after the Sun's 7 game winning streak, they had losing streaks of 6 and 7 games while having back-to back wins only once.

Next year should be better for the Sun with Chiney and others getting healthy. Tulsa will be moving to Dallas and could be better with Skyler back, but unless they find a better post player 18-20 wins seems like a ceiling.

They should have an all-star PF back next year, which will help quite a lot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: