RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Liberty @ Sky - 6/30/15
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 06/29/15 10:14 pm    ::: Liberty @ Sky - 6/30/15 Reply Reply with quote

Rosemont, IL - 8:00 PM ET
TV: ESPN2

Video:
http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index

Game info:
http://www.wnba.com/game/20150630/NYLCHI/

ESPN GameCast:
http://scores.espn.go.com/wnba/gamecast?gameId=400610689

ESPN boxscore:
http://scores.espn.go.com/wnba/boxscore?gameId=400610689

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 06/30/15 1:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is an example of where the Euro commitments really screw things up.

The story line of this game should be the Pondexter/Prince match up because of the trade, Cappie should want to destroy NY for trading her, and Prince should want to prove that she can be the better player in 2015 and beyond. I doubt Prince even plays because NY has more than a week off after this, so why not let Prince rest, get over her jet lag and Euro fatigue, and let her get some serious practice time in with the team before taking the court.

So the new story line is can NY's defense keep Cappie and the rest of the team from scoring while EDD goes off for 30+ (because lets face it NY doesn't have anyone who matches up well with EDD on the defensive end, I would probably see what Stokes can do, but a rookie against the best offensive player in the world doesn't bode well, and she does seem like our best option), if the answer is yes NY wins, if Cappie and Quigley get into the double digits it will be hard for NY to win.

Are best defense against EDD might be to attack Sloot from the get go, and frustrate her to the point where EDD has to bring the ball up the court if she wants it in her hands, maybe we can tire her out. Boyd, Wright, and Wiggins should take turns trying to slow Sloot down and force passes.

Charles needs to show up in the paint against the Sky's posts, and Rodgers needs to make her case for finally turning the corner and becoming a consistent scorer in this league.

Randy

PostPosted: 06/30/15 6:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Be interesting to see if Prince does play and which Prince NY has this year. Giving her time to rest and fit into the system makes sense, though Tolliver sure showed that she was ready to go after getting off the plane. The way Sugar has been playing though suggests no need to rush Prince. Cappie wanting to burn NY may work to the Sky's detriment if she forgets about everyone else. Of course, maybe she was glad for the trade and won't have any revenge motive.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 06/30/15 7:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

The story line of this game should be the Pondexter/Prince match up because of the trade, Cappie should want to destroy NY for trading her, and Prince should want to prove that she can be the better player in 2015 and beyond. I doubt Prince even plays because NY has more than a week off after this, so why not let Prince rest, get over her jet lag and Euro fatigue, and let her get some serious practice time in with the team before taking the court.

So the new story line is can NY's defense keep Cappie and the rest of the team from scoring while EDD goes off for 30+ (because lets face it NY doesn't have anyone who matches up well with EDD on the defensive end, I would probably see what Stokes can do, but a rookie against the best offensive player in the world doesn't bode well, and she does seem like our best option), if the answer is yes NY wins, if Cappie and Quigley get into the double digits it will be hard for NY to win.

Are best defense against EDD might be to attack Sloot from the get go, and frustrate her to the point where EDD has to bring the ball up the court if she wants it in her hands, maybe we can tire her out. Boyd, Wright, and Wiggins should take turns trying to slow Sloot down and force passes.

Charles needs to show up in the paint against the Sky's posts, and Rodgers needs to make her case for finally turning the corner and becoming a consistent scorer in this league.

Best defense is probably: if she doesnt have the ball she cant score. Like the Mystics did. Swin Cash will have to give it her all and body her up. Tanisha Wright can focus on pressuring Sloot or let Boyd/Wiggins do that and force Allie in some tough shots. Also when Allie has the ball she tends to dribble it too long not looking for other options. So that would be a good thing for the Liberty

If Charles keeps her butt in the paint she should have a 25+ pt game

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/30/15 8:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Stokes is definitely the best option on EDD. I'm eager to see what she can do when they are matched up. Stokes has pretty much contained or stopped cold every player she has guarded. She has the height, athleticism and timing to be the best matchup against EDD. But let's be real, at this point even the best defender will have trouble containing EDD. If whoever we put out there keeps EDD between 20-25 that's what you can probably best ideally hope for. I think EDD has gotten even better at shooting those contested jumpers. They're unstoppable.

PostPosted: 06/30/15 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with Michelle Keep your butt in the paint TINA. That is key but it may not be enough given how much better the liberty play at home than they do on the road. I think the Sky edge the liberty in a really good game

root_thing

PostPosted: 06/30/15 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:

Best defense is probably: if she doesnt have the ball she cant score. Like the Mystics did. Swin Cash will have to give it her all and body her up. Tanisha Wright can focus on pressuring Sloot or let Boyd/Wiggins do that and force Allie in some tough shots. Also when Allie has the ball she tends to dribble it too long not looking for other options. So that would be a good thing for the Liberty

If Charles keeps her butt in the paint she should have a 25+ pt game

I agree. You have to play ball-denial against EDD. Keep it out of her hands or make her work really hard to get the ball. Right now, Elena with the ball is basically unguardable, but I agree that Stokes has the best chance. The question is whether NY is willing to alter their defense to do this. Their philosophy is to protect the paint, which means in the past they've been willing to let EDD get the ball on the perimeter unchallenged. NY needs to focus more on the perimeter -- not only to stop EDD, but also to prevent Quigley from killing us as she's done in the past. Without Fowles to worry about, Charles and Swords should be able to fend for themselves in the middle.

I believe the Liberty have lost ten in a row to the Sky -- 0-9 under Laimbeer. Throw in a couple of blow-out preseason losses, and no one on the current Liberty team other than Carson knows how it feels to beat Chicago in a NY uniform. Laimbeer needs to be flexible and try something different.

PostPosted: 06/30/15 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With EDD essentially playing C/PF for the most part it's going to be interesting. If you have Sloot, Quigley and Cappie out there, your perimeter defenders are going to largely be on those 3. That means we will see a lot of Cash and a lot of Stokes on EDD. So the fact that there are two players NY can equally use could enable them to try more ball denial than they have done in the past, without having to worry about player fatigue. Flip side is EDD moves well without the ball and will probably play more in the post than we have seen in the past. Denying her the ball down there is going to be tricky for Cash when she gives up about 3-4 inches and probably a little more when you consider EDD's very large wingspan. That's where seeing what Stokes has to offer will be probably the most intriguing part of the game.

I'm glad this game is televised because it's the type of game where the individual matchups are really something to look for.

PostPosted: 06/30/15 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like the Sky broadcast team so much, I'd rather it were on Live Access.

root_thing

PostPosted: 06/30/15 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
With EDD essentially playing C/PF for the most part it's going to be interesting. If you have Sloot, Quigley and Cappie out there, your perimeter defenders are going to largely be on those 3. That means we will see a lot of Cash and a lot of Stokes on EDD. So the fact that there are two players NY can equally use could enable them to try more ball denial than they have done in the past, without having to worry about player fatigue. Flip side is EDD moves well without the ball and will probably play more in the post than we have seen in the past. Denying her the ball down there is going to be tricky for Cash when she gives up about 3-4 inches and probably a little more when you consider EDD's very large wingspan. That's where seeing what Stokes has to offer will be probably the most intriguing part of the game.

I'm glad this game is televised because it's the type of game where the individual matchups are really something to look for.

EDD may be playing C/PF, but from what I've seen she is still mostly receiving the ball on the perimeter. It's not like Elena is going down low and banging with the opposing center to get post-up position. She's taking it to the hoop more, and she's in the paint more for rebounds, but it looks like EDD is still initially getting the ball away from the basket.

PostPosted: 06/30/15 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some games more than others it seems. Against DC she was nearly exclusively on the perimeter against bigger, slower players. Against SAS she spent a little more time in the paint. I'd doubt she would be in the post against Stokes. Against Cash maybe occasionally.

PostPosted: 06/30/15 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Prince active for tonight as per NYL facebook.

PostPosted: 06/30/15 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Makes sense, will be interesting id manage her minutes, no reason to upset the apple cart when you have 9 days between games to practice and rest her..but she should play a part...also Amen

but dont judge her on today this will just get her feet wet (tho the week of camp before she left should help

PostPosted: 06/30/15 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just want her to add tempo to the NY side of things when she's in. Anything more is a bonus. On another note, her twitter feed contains numerous retweets about the Liberty. That's in sharp contrast to say, the twitter feeds of Parker and Toliver. Not judging the latter two. But I like seeing that Prince is focused on the success of her teammates even before she puts on a uniform.

PostPosted: 06/30/15 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I just want her to add tempo to the NY side of things when she's in. Anything more is a bonus. On another note, her twitter feed contains numerous retweets about the Liberty. That's in sharp contrast to say, the twitter feeds of Parker and Toliver. Not judging the latter two. But I like seeing that Prince is focused on the success of her teammates even before she puts on a uniform.

agreed, she should mesh well with all the guards...unfortunatly she arrives right after Roger's big game, and It's rogers' minutes who likely will suffer but that is what it is...things are now very exciting

PostPosted: 06/30/15 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

woo-hoo! game's being broadcast in brasil! no tv jury-rigging tonight.

PostPosted: 06/30/15 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who is going to line-up against EDD? Charles or Stokes?

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/30/15 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:

Is Stokes even starting? Cash will most likely draw first, with Stokes next I'm assuming.

PostPosted: 06/30/15 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:

Cash followed by Stokes most likely. Cash got a quick second half hook against LA with Stokes playing much of the second half. I would not be surprised to see something similar today.

PostPosted: 06/30/15 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/30/15 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not much of a surprise here. Chicago has no interior defense to handle a good post player. Even one like Charles who has been struggling. Nor do they have athletic, long players to double and really bother her.

PostPosted: 06/30/15 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

now that the USAvGER match is over, time for some basketball!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
lynxmania

PostPosted: 06/30/15 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wiggy! Wiggy! Wiggy!

PostPosted: 06/30/15 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watch..... NYL fans will fall in love with Wiggins again. Smile

jlight

PostPosted: 06/30/15 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sky's defense tho Shocked Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: