RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The word from some combine spies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/14/05 8:18 am    ::: The word from some combine spies Reply Reply with quote

I know a couple of people who work for the W and were at the combine, and they've finally emailed me their thoughts on who looked good, bad, or indifferent.

GOOD

Kara Braxton. Looked spectacular considering how long she's been away from organized ball and that she just had a baby. If she'd stayed in school and not gotten pregnant she would be an absolute lock for the #1 overall pick.

Katie Feenstra. More mobile than most scouts expected. Looked occasionally dominant in 5 on 5s. Did very well in interviews, she obviously prepped well for them, especially when asked about playing with teammates of "different backgrounds".

Roneeka Hodges. Shot the lights out. Took the role of floor leader very well.

Kristen Mann. Played her way into first round contention. Strong.

Shyra Ely. Showed impressive range and wasn't afraid to get in the face of opponents.

BAD

Dionnah Jackson. Words like "slow" and "uninspired" kept coming up when scouts talked about her.

Tanisha Wright. Looked good on D. Couldn't hit anything, shotwise, and had some ball control issues.

Jacqueline Batteast. Displayed a slow shot release. Battled for alot of rebounds but didn't actually come down with very many of them. Got beat on D on too many occasions.

Kristen Haynie. Got irritated on interview Friday by repeated questions regarding her diet and stamina.

Patechia Hartman. Because I'm an ASun guy, they both mentioned Hartman. She didn't impress.

PostPosted: 04/14/05 8:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"different backgrounds"...lol
The Lynchburg paper mentioned that Kelli Deyo(Siemons) prepped Feenstra for the combine...on court and off, evidently.

Keegan

PostPosted: 04/14/05 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks pilight.

I was doing a quick mock draft in my head and it's conceivable Batteast drops out of the first round.
KeiraNY

PostPosted: 04/14/05 8:27 am    ::: Re: The word from some combine spies Reply Reply with quote

I would've LOVED to hear Feenstra's response about those people with "different backgrounds"...LOL! They don't teach that at Liberty! Smile

If Dionnah Jackson was so slow, why the heck did Lobo "drafted" her for the Liberty??? Thanks Rebecca!!! Wink

pilight wrote:
I know a couple of people who work for the W and were at the combine, and they've finally emailed me their thoughts on who looked good, bad, or indifferent.

GOOD

Kara Braxton. Looked spectacular considering how long she's been away from organized ball and that she just had a baby. If she'd stayed in school and not gotten pregnant she would be an absolute lock for the #1 overall pick.

Katie Feenstra. More mobile than most scouts expected. Looked occasionally dominant in 5 on 5s. Did very well in interviews, she obviously prepped well for them, especially when asked about playing with teammates of "different backgrounds".

Roneeka Hodges. Shot the lights out. Took the role of floor leader very well.

Kristen Mann. Played her way into first round contention. Strong.

Shyra Ely. Showed impressive range and wasn't afraid to get in the face of opponents.

BAD

Dionnah Jackson. Words like "slow" and "uninspired" kept coming up when scouts talked about her.

Tanisha Wright. Looked good on D. Couldn't hit anything, shotwise, and had some ball control issues.

Jacqueline Batteast. Displayed a slow shot release. Battled for alot of rebounds but didn't actually come down with very many of them. Got beat on D on too many occasions.

Kristen Haynie. Got irritated on interview Friday by repeated questions regarding her diet and stamina.

Patechia Hartman. Because I'm an ASun guy, they both mentioned Hartman. She didn't impress.

sambista

PostPosted: 04/14/05 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thanks. that was tasty.

PostPosted: 04/14/05 8:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thanks pilight! Updating draft again?

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 04/14/05 8:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for the tidbits:) These help with figuring out where to put people in my mock draft.

I think Roneeka is going to surprise some people, as well as Kristen.

SFO

PostPosted: 04/14/05 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight, you must be taking Mitch Albom lessons. Batteast was not there.

caune

PostPosted: 04/14/05 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Remember kids, Tausha Mills was all that at the combine too;)

take it all with a grain of salt

pilight

PostPosted: 04/14/05 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SFO wrote:

I'm just passing along what I was told.

In rereading my emails, only one of them mentioned her. Perhaps it's just a case of mistaken identity, or maybe they're just messing with me. Laughing

Last edited by pilight on 04/14/05 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Keegan

PostPosted: 04/14/05 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SFO wrote:

Haha I checked - you're right.
accommodatingly

PostPosted: 04/14/05 12:10 pm    ::: Haynie Reply Reply with quote

Her health is a legit concern: she should have known that it was going to come up. OTOH if she arrived with medical professionals' statements that she could go on doing what she's been doing this year, with similarly superb results, and got pelted with queries from people who hadn't seen or didn't believe the statements, I can imagine reason to get annoyed.

I'd take a chance on Haynie's stamina long before I'd take a chance on Braxton's personality.

wadethered

PostPosted: 04/14/05 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
In rereading my emails, only one of them mentioned her. Perhaps it's just a case of mistaken identity, or maybe they're just messing with me. Laughing

Could it have been Ashley Battle?

swok34

PostPosted: 04/14/05 12:48 pm    ::: Re: The word from some combine spies Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

BAD

I'm surprised at this.....I still recall how seamlessly Dionnah fit at OU her freshmen year. And how inspiring she has played this season Question

sbjules

PostPosted: 04/14/05 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The UCSB message board (informed source) is saying that Kristen Mann is being flown to NYC for the draft.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 04/14/05 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sbjules wrote:
The UCSB message board (informed source) is saying that Kristen Mann is being flown to NYC for the draft.

She's a first rounder. Kristen was ready when she was a sophomore.

Keegan

PostPosted: 04/14/05 6:05 pm    ::: Re: Haynie Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
I'd take a chance on Haynie's stamina long before I'd take a chance on Braxton's personality.

Yes, but Haynie isn't an uber-talented 6'6" centre.
Smoovie

PostPosted: 04/14/05 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
sbjules wrote:

She's a first rounder. Kristen was ready when she was a sophomore.

She'll be playing for the Sparks....

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.•´*~Smoov
Slovydal

PostPosted: 04/14/05 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who are they trading to get a draft pick?

Tamecka?

herrade

PostPosted: 04/14/05 8:29 pm    ::: Re: The word from some combine spies Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

This must be why Lobo has Blaze taking her at 10.

PostPosted: 04/15/05 5:25 am    ::: Re: The word from some combine spies Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I'm glad Ely is on the good list. I think she is a player that, given the chance, will be one of the most sought after veterans in a few years.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: