RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Any news on Sierra Calhoun

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LadyLionsFan

PostPosted: 06/04/15 4:08 pm    ::: Any news on Sierra Calhoun Reply Reply with quote

Back on January 4th., five months to the day, Sierra Calhoun decided to quit the Duke University women's basketball team evidently with plans to transfer to another school. While there have been a ton of women players transferring after the 2014-15 season.....what makes the Sierra Calhoun transfer situation bizarre is the extreme length of time that has passed.

Most of the players transferring only took a few weeks to decide if that long. Jenny DeGraaf a Penn State transfer took only about 2 weeks from the time she tweeted that she was transferring until she announced her new school UNC-Wilmington. Usually one month seems to be able the norm.

There has been a lot of speculation on the Duke University women's hoops Scout forums about what made her leave school in such a hurry...announcing her decision just an hour or so before their next basketball game. A lot of the posters mentioned that Calhoun was allegedly the victim of some type of abuse and as a result she left school and is trying to get the NCAA to waive the mandatory one year period of not playing if she transfers to a Division I school. IF this is true then is it possible that the NCAA has been doing an investigation into the allegations to determine if the rule should be waived in her case. This would explain why five months have gone by with virtually no new information coming out. Some have even opined that perhaps Calhoun has quit basketball altogether...I find that really hard to believe that such a talented player who was starting as a true freshman for Duke, ranked #10 at the time of her announcement would just quit the sport. I won't speculate as others have done, but I will point out that Duke's women's basketball team has had I believe 10 players transfer out in the past 7 years. That number seems excessive. Something is not right.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 06/05/15 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ohio State
LadyLionsFan

PostPosted: 06/05/15 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yep, Sierra Calhoun has transferred to Ohio State:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2015/06/05/osu-adds-duke-transfer.html

HUGE get for the Buckeye women's team.....

goforit77

PostPosted: 06/05/15 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LadyLionsFan wrote:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2015/06/05/osu-adds-duke-transfer.html

But they have to take the Dad too...I hope MM can handle him

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/05/15 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

goforit77 wrote:
LadyLionsFan wrote:

Maybe they can assign Daddy Mitchell the task of dealing with Daddy Calhoun. That should keep both of them busy and out of McGuff's hair leaving him free to do his job.

LadyLionsFan

PostPosted: 06/05/15 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, she can't keep transferring over and over. So I don't think there will be any real problems. McGuff is a good and rising coach. OSU women will be a force in the B1G sooner rather than later.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 06/05/15 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

goforit77 wrote:
LadyLionsFan wrote:

MM? Were you thinking of Mathew Mitchell or Muffet McGraw? OSU's head coach is Kevin McGuff.

goforit77

PostPosted: 06/05/15 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
goforit77 wrote:
LadyLionsFan wrote:

MM? Were you thinking of Mathew Mitchell or Muffet McGraw? OSU's head coach is Kevin McGuff.

Whoops...Typo...But either one could probably handle Daddy Calhoun...

summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/05/15 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

goforit77 wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:
goforit77 wrote:
LadyLionsFan wrote:

Whoops...Typo...But either one could probably handle Daddy Calhoun...

Whatever. They probably deserve each other.

PostPosted: 06/07/15 4:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Given the odd timing of her departure and re-enrollment, when will Sierra be eligible to play?

bacabuck

PostPosted: 06/07/15 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greatgator wrote:
Given the odd timing of her departure and re-enrollment, when will Sierra be eligible to play?

'16-'17 season.........3 years to play 3.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/07/15 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bacabuck wrote:
greatgator wrote:

'16-'17 season.........3 years to play 3.

You sure they're not applying for immediate eligibility?
That's being granted frequently these days.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/07/15 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would have thought she might be eligible in January 2016 if she didn't play second semester at Duke.

PostPosted: 06/07/15 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have no idea about when she will be eligible, but FWIW, I see a lot of upside for some players to RS a year. It allows them to grow and mature personality wise, academically, spiritually, physically (weight room) and so on. They also can still practice with the team and continue to hone their skills. For those coming from a bad situation at their last school, it allows them to kind of put that all behind them and move forward with their life.

So the Calhoun's, including Daddy Calhoun might want Sierra to step back, take a year off from the competition and get reenergized. Just my 2 cents.

greatgator

PostPosted: 06/07/15 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Article confirms she will redshirt until 2016-2017 season

goforit77

PostPosted: 06/07/15 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sierra is a good kid caught in the middle....I hope she can find what she needs at OSU.

As for her Dad.....Maybe he has learned his lesson....I have heard that he was beyond stunned when Geno declined. If he hasn't learned he will not take kindly to Sierra playing second fiddle to Kelsey Mitchell.

PhillyCat

PostPosted: 06/08/15 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't completely understand the references to Omar Sr as some kind of Daddy Dearest. It does sound like he's protective of his kid but getting her out from under McCallie was clearly something he thought to be necessary. There are some who think he was being a good parent even if Sierra didn't agree. There have been enough transfers and talk on this board to make me think all is not well within McCallie's program. BTW, Omar Jr plays for the UConn men and I haven't heard that he's caused any problems for Kevin Ollie, and Omar Jr is not getting lots of playing time either.

I don't know for sure if Omar Sr approached Geno but I have no reason to doubt it if others here say it happened. If it did happen, I'm not surprised Geno said no and the reasons likely had little to do with Omar Sr.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/08/15 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I doubt Papa Calhoun is ANYTHING like Mommy Davis. I do think he's a bit of a stage dad, but a lot of parents of talented kids are. Some are worse than others. I myself might have been tempted to smack Coach P if I thought she was abusing my kid, but I have so little use for her to start with that I would discourage my child from considering any program she was associated with, so that would not happen. That said, I do think sometimes dads are a little more protective of daughters. Daddy's princess and all that.

PostPosted: 06/10/15 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First time Sierra has spoken to the media since her departure from Duke, I think. Declines to talk about why she left Duke. She chose OSU over St John's.

http://www.brooklyndaily.com/stories/2015/24/sp-calhoun-buckeyes-transfer-2015-06-12-bd.html

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 06/10/15 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's quite a change in regard to academics. I wonder if she was in over her head a bit at Duke.

Queenie

PostPosted: 06/10/15 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PhillyCat wrote:
First time Sierra has spoken to the media since her departure from Duke, I think. Declines to talk about why she left Duke. She chose OSU over St John's.

http://www.brooklyndaily.com/stories/2015/24/sp-calhoun-buckeyes-transfer-2015-06-12-bd.html

Just what I needed, another reason to loathe Ohio State and dislike their coach.

(now with spelling variations)
bacabuck

PostPosted: 06/11/15 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happy that you are getting your needs filled........The Buckeyes are getting their needs filled too.

Even with everyone in good health, we are not going to scare ND or Geno, but all others better worry.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 06/11/15 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
PhillyCat wrote:

Just what I needed, another reason to loathe Ohio State and dislike their coach.

Perhaps coach Joe was too nice, so Sierra decided she would rather go to OSU and listen to "McGruff."

Note that the author twice referred to McGuff as McGruff. Obviously not a WCBB fan.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: