RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Errors on the "improved" wnba.com
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerd2

PostPosted: 05/23/15 9:46 pm    ::: Errors on the "improved" wnba.com Reply Reply with quote

I am a nerd in real life and have been stunned with the update to the web site a few days into training camp. The timing is bizarre: most professional websites update during off-peak meaning either during the off-season or in that lull between the draft and training camp. Not only did they do it during a time that fans are likely to be checking the site but they do it badly, leaving many broken links and other issues. I am cataloging them here in the hope that someone connected with an org can get this to the proper people.

1) The website seems to run on UTC time. This means that on the main page where you have the scores, it turns over from today to the next day at about 7PM PDT. This means I need to scroll left just to see the games that haven't even started yet.
2) On that same scores page, the score frames span the entire page so that the left scroll button covers up half of the first score. It needs to be resized so that there is a gap between score and edge.
3) The box score page seems to be completely misdesigned to not resize horizontally based on one's browser dimensions. The font is too big and the rest of the information simply goes off the right side of the page. It also does not present a horizontal scroll bar so it is impossible to view it. I have had to reduce the font size in order to fit it all onto one page
4) The box score totals are incorrect for the second team. The variables are repeating the sum of the stats of the first team on the display.
5) Clearly they decided to change the DNS so that "www.wnba.com/storm" becomes "storm.wnba.com". But many of the links continue to point to that old format and the redirect points it back to the main page.
6) Resizing the main page will move the "tickets" frame on top of the scores frame. Because the right side needs to have that prominent link to the nba.com and d-league instead Rolling Eyes

Anyone see anything else?

tfan

PostPosted: 05/23/15 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One thing I don't like when web pages get re-vamped by new companies is that they will move things around and not put redirects to the new pages, breaking search results and inbound links (like Wikipedia references). The people doing the WNBA site changed the locations of the playerfile pages without putting re-directs to the new page. Google should catch up, if they do keep playerfiles for retired players, but for now, if I search for "Becky Hammon playerfile" it gives me:

http://www.wnba.com/playerfile/becky_hammon/

That page no longer exists.

The new player pages have been moved under the "player" directory and a dash used instead of an underscore:

http://www.wnba.com/player/sue-bird/

But as of now, there is no page for

http://www.wnba.com/player/becky-hammon

If they decide to not keep any playerfile data for players who were retired as of 2015, then that will be a bigger complaint.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/23/15 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
One thing I don't like when web pages get re-vamped by new companies is that they will move things around and not put redirects to the new pages, breaking search results and inbound links (like Wikipedia references). The people doing the WNBA site changed the locations of the playerfile pages without putting re-directs to the new page. Google should catch up, if they do keep playerfiles for retired players, but for now, if I search for "Becky Hammon playerfile" it gives me:

http://www.wnba.com/playerfile/becky_hammon/

That page no longer exists.

The new player pages have been moved under the "player" directory and a dash used instead of an underscore:

http://www.wnba.com/player/sue-bird/

But as of now, there is no page for

http://www.wnba.com/player/becky-hammon

If they decide to not keep any playerfile data for players who were retired as of 2015, then that will be a bigger complaint.

I hate that too. The career stat pages were far and away my most used part of the site, and they've made them horrible, along with apparently deleting all the old ones (and failing to create the redirect for the old url format).

Also, ridiculously, there are no totals at the bottom of the columns on the player career stat pages any more. So, for example, there is no way to find Sue Bird's career shooting percentage on that page you linked above. That's a really dumb thing to remove, and one of the central things that will lead to me using basketball-reference.com instead if they don't fix it.

PostPosted: 05/24/15 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

Also, ridiculously, there are no totals at the bottom of the columns on the player career stat pages any more. So, for example, there is no way to find Sue Bird's career shooting percentage on that page you linked above. That's a really dumb thing to remove, and one of the central things that will lead to me using basketball-reference.com instead if they don't fix it.

I noticed that too. The career averages -- especially shooting percentages -- are among the first things I check when researching a player. To exclude them is like providing half of the information.

PostPosted: 05/24/15 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the boxscores, on IE 11 windows 8, I cannot scroll to get to the point totals for each player.

PostPosted: 05/24/15 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Never mind it's my screen resolution.

PostPosted: 05/24/15 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You shouldn't have to change your screen resolution to see a freaking box score.

icey23

PostPosted: 05/24/15 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
In the boxscores, on IE 11 windows 8, I cannot scroll to get to the point totals for each player.

I have the same problem, This new WNBA page is trash

PostPosted: 05/24/15 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
You shouldn't have to change your screen resolution to see a freaking box score.

I don't know why they've made everything so ginormous. Isn't part of the point of a box score being able to see the game's numbers fairly quickly and at a glance? Even reduced to 67% it's annoying visually because the names insist on being on two lines, any smaller and it's unreadable.

I don't really understand how anyone could come up with that, look at it, and decide that's what they want to go with for the redesign.

PostPosted: 05/24/15 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
sigur3 wrote:

I don't know why they've made everything so ginormous. Isn't part of the point of a box score being able to see the game's numbers fairly quickly and at a glance? Even reduced to 67% it's annoying visually because the names insist on being on two lines, any smaller and it's unreadable.

I don't really understand how anyone could come up with that, look at it, and decide that's what they want to go with for the redesign.

Agreed. I don't usually reflexively hate site re-designs. But this WNBA re-design removes actual functionality & ability for fans to find information. The re-design killed pretty much every link to news articles, etc. that existed previously. It is also terrible on the eyes for viewing--endless scrolling and scrolling and ugh. Just awful. Fails on pretty much all counts.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/25/15 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

icey23 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

I have the same problem, This new WNBA page is trash

On the top right of the browser you can click on the settings icon and change zoom from 100% to something like 85%. That enabled me to see the entire boxscore. But not understanding why the page doesn't automatically scale to your desired screen resolution. I don't have this issue on any other webpage.

And as Richyyy mentioned, if you zoom out too much then you can't read the boxscore at all.

Your existing fans through the years have dwindled. Why do things to discourage people further? I had to use basketball reference like 5 times in the last two days to look up player stats. That shouldn't have to be. This redesign just weeks before the start of the season is typical. Maybe it will be better once they get the kinks out. But it was fine the way it was.

PostPosted: 05/25/15 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
But not understanding why the page doesn't automatically scale to your desired screen resolution. I don't have this issue on any other webpage.

Because in other places the web developers aren't dumb enough to use fixed sizes on big ass tables. In this case if you have screen that has a horizontal resolution smaller than 1400px you won't be able to see the entire table (we're talking computers here, on mobile it scrolls) of boxscores.

PostPosted: 05/25/15 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They need to get some professional people running the website.

#NATC

PostPosted: 05/25/15 7:50 pm    ::: Re: Errors on the "improved" wnba.com Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
1) The website seems to run on UTC time. This means that on the main page where you have the scores, it turns over from today to the next day at about 7PM PDT. This means I need to scroll left just to see the games that haven't even started yet.

This one is particularly troubling. You'd think the league would want people to know which days the games are on!
Right now when I visit wnba.com to find out what the next games are, it's telling me that Phoenix @ Seattle is today. Today at 2pm Eastern. That's really useful Confused

pilight wrote:

Agreed. I would classify having a functional website as being kind of important for a business like this.

My Centre Court app is totally useless right now too FWIW, but that's not such a priority.

PostPosted: 05/25/15 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Let's not get greedy. I would settle for people who follow the league.

Randy

PostPosted: 05/25/15 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I also have an annoying complaint or question. - Where on my team's web page can I find a roster or even stats? I'd like to know how tall Ify and how old Ify is (not to mention the actual spelling of her name.) Can't find it.....Be glad to accept help on this.

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 05/25/15 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I also have an annoying complaint or question. - Where on my team's web page can I find a roster or even stats? I'd like to know how tall Ify and how old Ify is (not to mention the actual spelling of her name.) Can't find it.....Be glad to accept help on this.

They're under the pulldowns, although I've yet to discern a pattern for how the players are sorted:

Queenie

PostPosted: 05/25/15 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't detect a pattern either, p_d.

Not to mention that the player files are utterly useless. No transaction logs? No personal data? Seriously? And as someone else pointed out, seasonal numbers without a career total are half-useless.

Let's see if there's another data dump debacle, like that time all the international players got assigned degrees from Abilene Christian.

PostPosted: 05/25/15 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For example, Australia is a college now!

http://www.wnba.com/player/penny-taylor/

PostPosted: 05/25/15 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks p_d. I guess the problem I was having is using AOL to go to the Dream web page instead of Chrome. In AOL land the top line never shows up.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 05/25/15 8:37 pm    ::: Re: Errors on the "improved" wnba.com Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:

This one is particularly troubling. You'd think the league would want people to know which days the games are on!
Right now when I visit wnba.com to find out what the next games are, it's telling me that Phoenix @ Seattle is today. Today at 2pm Eastern. That's really useful Confused

Yeah, it actually looks like it turns over at 4 PM PDT/7PM EDT which is right when most games start.

Last edited by Nerd2 on 05/25/15 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 05/25/15 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Isn't it customary to beta test a new website design before it goes live?

PostPosted: 05/25/15 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Why do that? It would cost money. They can read our posts and get it for free.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 05/25/15 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
pilight wrote:

Why do that? It would cost money. They can read our posts and get it for free.

Because that's how professionals do it. You build the new websites, QA the links and settings, and then point your DNS to the new location. You could even set up your load balancers to allow only certain addresses to hit the beta content until you are ready for production. This has all the hallmarks of a rush job where the content builders were not given enough time or more likely didn't have enough expertise at the web design/revamping biz.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 05/25/15 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another item: checking the roster page no longer gives me how many years' experience they have in a nice table. I'd have to visit each player's individual page for that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: