RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Mo’ne Davis Launches Sneaker to Help Impoverished Girls
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtrain34

PostPosted: 03/20/15 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="ArtBest23"]
dtrain34 wrote:
My point -- and I haven't checked to see if this is still true -- is that pre-high school violations have not been enforced by the NCAA as the athlete is not yet considered a PSA.

I think you may be confusing recruiting rules with amateurism rules.

The amateurism rules specify a limited number that apply only to student athletes; the rest apply to everyone. I know of no age limit in the amateurism rules and have never heard that one exists.

The rules I'm referring to were definitely amateurism type stuff as they dealt with improper benefits that would "taint" a 10th grader not applying to a middle schooler whose AAU coach enticed him with similar cash and prizes.

In any case, Mo'ne has crossed over into that particular brand of know-nothing American sainthood where a few things she once did have made her an untouchable icon. When she signs her softball scholarship with Drexel (reality may well set in, folks) I'm sure she'll be cleared to play.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/20/15 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
And please tell us one school making a profit off of lacrosse or track or volleyball. There aren't any.

Technically the schools are all non-profit, so none of them make a profit off of any sports.

That's confusing different meanings of "profit". Just because an entity is a not-for-profit doesn't mean they can't make earnings or a profit on particular undertakings. Rather it refers to what is done with those earnings. They don't distribute the profits to owners or shareholders. Rather those profits are used for the organization's tax exempt purpose (most commonly under 501(c)(3) for charitable, religious, educational, scientific, literary, testing for public safety, fostering national or international amateur sports competition, and preventing cruelty to children or animals.)

So there's nothing wrong with making a profit, whether from football tickets or patent licensing, as long as those profits are poured back into the institution for its charitable purpose. That is the nature of a not-for-profit.

Most of the money does go to for-profit businesses. In 2013, Alabama earned $143 million from athletics and it's expenses were $109 million. Now one can say that $34 million went to further the cause of higher education, but the vast bulk went to private parties who did it for profit. And I would wager that those same businesses are among the "charitable donors" to the Univ. of Alabama. In many jurisdictions that might be called a "kickback". But in collegiate circles they put up plaques to these generous donors. From Nike down to the company that supplies porta potties, college athletics are a business. All the rules and restrictions for the athletes are nothing more than an attempt to put lipstick on a pig, and done solely to convince potential donors that their checks are for the enhancement of education. There's a reason the UConn Alumni Assoc calls me to solicit just before or during a UConn game. Athletics is the hook that keeps people identifying with their former school.

I'd guess that less than 1% of the amateur violations are caught. Cheating in the broadest sense was rampant when I attended college and I'm sure it's only gotten worse as the $$$ involved has exploded. All these carefully-worded arguments are nothing more than smoke and mirrors to protect an image that has no relationship to reality.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/20/15 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

Most of the money does go to for-profit businesses. In 2013, Alabama earned $143 million from athletics and it's expenses were $109 million. Now one can say that $34 million went to further the cause of higher education, but the vast bulk went to private parties who did it for profit.

I have no idea what you're talking about.^^^^^^ Question Question Question Question

hyperetic

PostPosted: 04/12/15 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.gocomics.com/tankmcnamara/2015/04/12
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/12/15 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

if there IS a benevolent god, this kid will not enroll in UConn.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: