RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Who will be ESPN's Three to See next season?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/10/15 2:24 pm    ::: Who will be ESPN's Three to See next season? Reply Reply with quote

You can answer by guessing whom ESPN will choose or by stating whom you would choose.

This past season, ESPN might have generated more interest in the sport overall if it had been Amanda Zahui B, Kelsey Plum and Blake Dietrick.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/10/15 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stewart Jefferson DeShields.

If it's more than 3, Wilson will be next in line.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/10/15 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No other nominations?

3-2-C is the most prestigious and touted award in all of women's basketball. It's media mention dwarfs that of the Wade, Naismith and Wooden combined.

I'd say only Stewart is a lock.

Candidates other than Art's might include:

Tiffany Mitchell, Kelsey Mitchell, Brianna Turner, Nina Davis, Lexie Brown, Jonquel Jones, Kelsey Plum, Aerial Powers, Courtney Williams, Niya Johnnson, Bria Holmes, Aliyyah Handford, Ruth Hamblin, Kaela Davis, Allisha Gray, Adut Bulgak, Leticia Romero, Danielle Ballard, Jillian Alleyne, Morgan Tuck, Jasmine Nwajei, Katie Lou Samuelson.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/10/15 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For a promotion like this to work, it should feature three players who play for different teams and who are seniors (that way you can promote more games and carry on the promotion into the WNBA). They should also be "flashy" in some way - a player that you want to see, not just one who is good but doesn't stand out from other good players. That is what made Griner, DelleDonne, and Diggins such a good combo.

Stewart is an obvious answer. Perhaps Mitchell. After that, maybe Banham?

linkster

PostPosted: 04/10/15 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think they'll limit it to 3.

DeShields is a guarantee. The SEC Network demands stars. Diamond, Mitchell and Wilson are locks for attention due to their conference affiliation. Then add Turner, Stewart, Jefferson and Tuck. And the other Mitchell. That makes eight

The UConn trio are in need of a nickname. How about the 3 Husketeers?.

pwhite66

PostPosted: 04/10/15 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't think they'll limit it to 3.

DeShields is a guarantee. The SEC Network demands stars. Diamond, Mitchell and Wilson are locks for attention due to their conference affiliation. Then add Turner, Stewart, Jefferson and Tuck. And the other Mitchell. That makes eight

The UConn trio are in need of a nickname. How about the 3 Husketeers?.

I agree that ESPN won't box itself in on three each year, and that the network will be all over the charismatic (enigmatic?) DeShields.

Eight seems like a lot, though.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/10/15 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They've already thought outside the 3 barrier with this year's "Need to Know".

Knowing ESPN, I'm going with Geno, Stewart, and DeShields.

(now with spelling variations)
Jlcarter

PostPosted: 04/10/15 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mercedes Russell.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/10/15 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ESPN would be better served with more than three players, no two from the same school, and several conferences included. This will allow viewers to see the hyped stars in more games.

The Magnificent Seven:

Breanna Stewart - AAC
Kelsey Mitchell - B10
Diamond DeShields - SEC
Tiffany Mitchell - SEC
Brianna Turner - ACC
Nina Davis - B12
Kelsey Plum - P12

The problem with this multi-conference theory is that ESPN may not broadcast some of the conferences such as B10 and P12.
hyperetic

PostPosted: 04/10/15 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is this gonna new a thing now, a Three to See each new season?
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 04/10/15 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
They've already thought outside the 3 barrier with this year's "Need to Know".

Knowing ESPN, I'm going with Geno, Stewart, and DeShields.

The year before this last one they only had a "Need To Know":
Ogwumike, Sims, McBride, Thomas, Stewart (McBride replacing KML when she was out for much of the season).

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/11/15 8:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Arrghh...what imbecilic, incessant bullshit promo will espn drown us w/ next season? Can't wait.

Continuing w/ its UConn-ccentric theme of the past decade (or has it been two already?), maybe we'll get live look-ins at the local sports bar in Geno's Italian hometown to watch his relatives cheer as another successful season unfolds. Of course, ESPN will first have to build a sports bar there..."Il Duce 2"?

Wait a minute. A Reality TV show along the lines of This Old House/No Reservations, featuring local construction and gastronomic styles w/ Bob Vila and Mario Batali as hosts, may be in order.

Someone pitch this on Shark Tank. Cuban might be interested. No, wait. Mr. Wonderful, wine connoisseur, would be more appropriate.

Laughing Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 04/11/15 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Diamond DeShields is a guarantee. I was actually irritated this year when they did a whole feature on her and she wasn't even playing this season. It'd be fine if it wasn't at the expense of other players who were playing and had stories of their own. Not to mention, I'm just not big on quitters.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/11/15 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They'll do Deshields because her father played a "real" sport, which gives them the opportunity to talk about something other than WCBB.

PostPosted: 04/11/15 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LegoMyEggo wrote:
Diamond DeShields is a guarantee. I was actually irritated this year when they did a whole feature on her and she wasn't even playing this season. It'd be fine if it wasn't at the expense of other players who were playing and had stories of their own. Not to mention, I'm just not big on quitters.

You sound like a bitter UNC fan. Since when does transferring make a person a "quitter"? Transferring is a fairly commonplace occurrence, and it's done for a lot of reasons. If a person isn't happy someplace it is her right to transfer. It doesn't make her a quitter, it makes her a transfer.

That said, I wish ESPN had left her alone this season and let her go about her business, which was getting healthy, practicing, and studying (she's a pretty good student, by all reports)--and I'm a Tennessee fan! I'm optimistic about her contribution next year, but I also don't expect her to be a miracle worker. However, she (and the LV fans) could do without the opprobrium from the Diamond-haters who I think characterize her somewhat unfairly based on one season playing for a certain coach whose coaching style comes in for a good bit of criticism.

PostPosted: 04/11/15 11:43 am    ::: Re: Who will be ESPN's Three to See next season? Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
You can answer by guessing whom ESPN will choose or by stating whom you would choose. This past season, ESPN might have generated more interest in the sport overall if it had been Amanda Zahui B, Kelsey Plum and Blake Dietrick.

Breanna Stewart, A'ja Wilson, Diamond DeShields

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/11/15 11:46 am    ::: Re: Who will be ESPN's Three to See next season? Reply Reply with quote

TheLoneGranger wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
You can answer by guessing whom ESPN will choose or by stating whom you would choose. This past season, ESPN might have generated more interest in the sport overall if it had been Amanda Zahui B, Kelsey Plum and Blake Dietrick.

A'ja Wilson? South Carolina has a returning first team AA player, it and isn't Wilson.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/11/15 11:49 am    ::: Re: Who will be ESPN's Three to See next season? Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
TheLoneGranger wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

A'ja Wilson? South Carolina has a returning first team AA player, it and isn't Wilson.

You have a point. Why wouldn't the three to see be the three returning 1st team AAs?

PostPosted: 04/11/15 12:53 pm    ::: Re: Who will be ESPN's Three to See next season? Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
TheLoneGranger wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

You have a point. Why wouldn't the three to see be the three returning 1st team AAs?

Because ESPN Laughing

PostPosted: 04/11/15 3:03 pm    ::: Re: Who will be ESPN's Three to See next season? Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Because that's not who ESPN has invested considerable time and expense in promoting.

Two UConn players - Stewart and Jefferson - plus Deshields is still my prediction. 4th in line would be "sorry Tiffany but we're pushing A'Ja".

Mitchell and Mitchell and Davis et al will all be in the "and here's some other names it might be worth checking out" pool.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/11/15 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I pray all three are Fighting Irish.

PostPosted: 04/11/15 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
I pray all three are Fighting Irish.

I have no idea why you would want that, but regardless, your prayer will not be answered. Notre Dame will not have a representative in the preseason "_____-to-see" list. But maybe by the midpoint of the season...

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 04/12/15 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

C'mon that was a good one. And who cares ultimately, it's just like the rankings at the beginning of the year and we all know they are gospel.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: