RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2015 Masters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Men's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linkster

PostPosted: 04/06/15 2:51 pm    ::: 2015 Masters Reply Reply with quote

I am amazed at the double standard being used in discussing Tiger Woods as opposed to the rest of the contenders.

Most of the media is expressing the opinion that he shouldn't play this year. As evidence, they seem fixated on his horrid chipping in 2015. The comparison has been to a 16 handicap.

I watched him in those tournaments with particular interest because I have chipping yips. But I am not Tiger Woods. He has stated that his problem is that he is changing swings and that the new release isn't yet ingrained into his "muscle memory". The pundits refuse to take him at his word. In fact some declare that his career is all but over at 39. What I find odd about this is that they take a different view when talking about other players.

Phil Mickelson has missed 2 cuts this season and has yet to even place in top 10 of any tournament. Phil has long had what can best be described as an erratic long game. When Tiger hits a drive into the trees there is a mad scramble to show a slow motion replay of the swing while 3 or four teachers and announcers point out the serious flaws in the swing. And yet when Phil hits one in the trees we hear chuckles about "Phil being Phil" and positive expectations of how he will recover from the errant shot. Never a replay or a critique of the swing. And Phil has for several years displayed a problem with making short putts, especially on Saturday and Sunday. And yet nothing is ever said. He misses and the TV coverage quickly goes to another player.

Another player who has had short putt woes is the world No. 1, Rory Mcilroy. In particular on hard and fast greens like we should see this week. Rory has played in 3 PGA events this season. He missed one cut. His best finish was a tie for 9th at Doral. He has had one, that's right, one round in the 60's in 2015. And yet the media makes him the 6-1 favorite to win this week. I'd like to take some of that action.
Rory has a problem on hard fast greens. Especially on 3-6 foot par putts. Is the word "yip" ever mentioned? All of his major wins have come on courses that had been softened by heavy rain. And further, he has admitted to a dislike for playing in wind. And yet as obvious as that has been, the media ignores it all in their love affair with him. This is a man who broke off his engagement OVER THE PHONE!. This is a guy who lost his cool on national TV and threw a club about 40 yards in anger and frustration. And it's turned into a joke as Trump returns the club and the media chuckle. If Tiger had done this the media would be calling for a lengthy suspension.

OK, rant over.

If I was looking for a good wager I'd focus on Adam Scott. He has won this before, he only has one top 10 but he has played par 5's very well and most importantly, he is going back to the long putter for the Masters. His putting hasn't been very good this year but he was a very good putter prior to switching to the short stick. He is under the radar and is a prior winner.

linkster

PostPosted: 04/10/15 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why does ESPN think that viewers would rather listen to Mike Tirico and Curtis Strange than watch the players on the course? Spieth's round was spectacular. So how come he wasn't one of the featured groups today? Instead we were treated to McDowell and a couple of other non-factors. So when ESPN comes on the air at 3:00 we get replays of Spieth and get to see him walk away from the 18th while Huffman is having as good a round as the one they are talking endlessly about.

Mcilroy is out on the course and yet suddenly he isn't worthy of a comment? I thought he was the king of golf, going for the career grand slam and today he is chopped liver.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/10/15 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Masters doesn't allow earlier broadcasts, so Speith's round was almost all before they could show it.

PostPosted: 04/10/15 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The Masters doesn't allow earlier broadcasts, so Speith's round was almost all before they could show it.

The Master's streams play all day. They show Amen Corner, the 15th and 16th holes and they follow 2 groups around the back nine. The quality of the streams is excellent. The choice of who to follow has been less than excellent.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Men's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: