RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Maryland vs Connecticut - 4/05/15
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Maryland
30%
 30%  [ 16 ]
Connecticut
69%
 69%  [ 36 ]
Total Votes : 52

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 04/05/15 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Morgan Tuck is interesting. She's not necessarily quick nor athletic yet she finds different ways to score.

Patience is a virtue as they say. She never rushes.

larmarch5

PostPosted: 04/05/15 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FS02 wrote:
On ESPN they always make it sound like all the coaches in the country (besides Geno) are dolts. They can't teach their players to play defense without fouling, can't teach them to pass without turning it over.

Well, it looks that way to me, too. Uconn dribbles less than any other team. They hold the ball high and pass high. That is teachable and weight training will improve players' passing and catching.

Uconn gives more room when they are on defense, hold their hands high, and look to create a bit of chaos rather than trying to steal the ball. They aren't the quickest athletes, so they also play a lot of zone. They actually got a lot of rest standing in their zone tonight while the Maryland guards dribbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbled around out on the perimeter.

Finally, they do NOT pass up open shots. That is, after all, the objective of the game. He gets his players to a point where they are CONFIDENT they can and will make their shots, including free throws. Practice makes perfect.

These basics are all there for all coaches to use, but I think they spend too much time doing dribbling drills and dribbling practice and dribbling scrimmages because it's oh wow look at those moves. . . . never mind that the dribbler isn't actually taking the ball to the basket.

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 04/05/15 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Durantula wrote:
linkster wrote:
Durantula wrote:
Someone told me UConn is like Wisconsin in that they don't foul. I objected to that because Wisconsin has a very different style. They play a slow tempo which limits possessions. They don't go for steals or blocks often.

UConn plays uptempo with many possessions. They are aggressive on blocks and steals. So their low foul counts to me is very questionable given their style of play. It just doesn't add up.

Actually UConn is ranked about 150th in possessions/game.

http://www.wbbstate.com/stats/teamP/Poss40%20desc/_/100

That's skewed because most of their games are blowouts where they can jut milk clock when the game is out of hand. Do you watch the matchups where UConn plays someone good? They are an uptempo team.

And anyways since it was a Wisconsin comparison what is Wisconsin ranked in possessions per game? You can't get as many steals and blocks as UConn gets and be that low in fouls. The teams that don't foul by nature are less aggressive teams.

You can when your coach uses his mandatory in-game interview to whine and bitch about an obvious foul call. Pass up no opportunity to intimidate the officials.

...because the Brendasaurus didn't complain about not getting calls during her in game interview Laughing #yourbiasisshowing

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/05/15 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
Morgan Tuck is interesting. She's not necessarily quick nor athletic yet she finds different ways to score.

She's quick but not fast, has excellent post moves and can finish around the rim. She has a quick brain. Also, she's beginning to shoot the 3 decently.

That's what I meant, thanks for that correction. Laughing

PostPosted: 04/05/15 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the postgame, Geno said he's won 9 titles and he hopes he wins 9 more.

It doesn't sound like he has retirement in mind anytime soon.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 04/05/15 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn's defense is more of a matchup zone than a true zone

PostPosted: 04/05/15 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
beknighted wrote:
For the record, I really hate the UConn stand and clap until they score thing when they're not at home. (It's fine at home, but anywhere else it's obnoxious.)

i guess something negative must be said...

UConn's band doesn't have enough tubas.

Those aren't tubas... They're Sousaphones Idea

Those aren't pillows, either... Exclamation

I think the Sousaphones are fine.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/05/15 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ThreeBall25 wrote:

...because the Brendasaurus didn't complain about not getting calls during her in game interview Laughing #yourbiasisshowing

Back on the earlier topic, I personally think of Brendasaurus as kind of affectionate (which is why I don't use it. Wink ). Something like "Sylviasaurus" or "Vivianasaurus" would be a different story because of the obvious implications about age.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/05/15 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kudos to everyone that played the bracket game this season. I did not bother to do it. I would have only wrote UCONN as the champion and left the rest of the bracket blank.

PostPosted: 04/06/15 7:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

larmarch5 wrote:
FS02 wrote:
On ESPN they always make it sound like all the coaches in the country (besides Geno) are dolts. They can't teach their players to play defense without fouling, can't teach them to pass without turning it over.

Well, it looks that way to me, too. Uconn dribbles less than any other team. They hold the ball high and pass high. That is teachable and weight training will improve players' passing and catching.

Uconn gives more room when they are on defense, hold their hands high, and look to create a bit of chaos rather than trying to steal the ball. They aren't the quickest athletes, so they also play a lot of zone. They actually got a lot of rest standing in their zone tonight while the Maryland guards dribbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbled around out on the perimeter.

Finally, they do NOT pass up open shots. That is, after all, the objective of the game. He gets his players to a point where they are CONFIDENT they can and will make their shots, including free throws. Practice makes perfect.

These basics are all there for all coaches to use, but I think they spend too much time doing dribbling drills and dribbling practice and dribbling scrimmages because it's oh wow look at those moves. . . . never mind that the dribbler isn't actually taking the ball to the basket.

All of the above ring true to me. I'd add that more than just not passing up open shots, Geno's offenses are geared toward creating open shots via screens and off-ball movement. He sits players for taking contested shots. I don't very often see one of his players make a wild charge into the lane to sling up some crazy off-balance underhanded layup. I see it all the time from other teams.

Maryland is becoming a perennial contender, but they won't reach that top tier until they learn a more disciplined/consistent style of play. Right now, their physical gifts are still being used to mask their lack of discipline: they use their muscle to swarm the boards and use their speed in transition--but their turnover rate is a statistical indicator of how carelessly they still play.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 04/06/15 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

larmarch5 wrote:

C'mon, now. Geno (and this is to his great credit) recruits great shooters out of high school, at just about every position. It's not that UConn players take their open looks because Geno somehow instilled magical confidence within them that no other coach could possibly instill. UConn players take their open looks because they're great shooters, and have been since high school (when they were being recruited by every elite program in the country), and are still.

larmarch5

PostPosted: 04/06/15 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
larmarch5 wrote:

C'mon, now. Geno (and this is to his great credit) recruits great shooters out of high school, at just about every position. It's not that UConn players take their open looks because Geno somehow instilled magical confidence within them that no other coach could possibly instill. UConn players take their open looks because they're great shooters, and have been since high school (when they were being recruited by every elite program in the country), and are still.

All the top tier teams have shooters. Maryland has shooters; it's just they can't get the ball to the OPEN shooter when they are dribbling the ball like bees dancing out the location of the pollen. Yesterday, when I didn't have the TV on mute, one of the commenters told how Mo Jefferson worked on her 3 pt shooting over the summer because nobody bothered to guard her against shooting. Yesterday, all five of Uconn's starters got one 3 with KML having the lowest % made.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 04/06/15 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

larmarch5 wrote:
All the top tier teams have shooters. Maryland has shooters; it's just they can't get the ball to the OPEN shooter when they are dribbling the ball like bees dancing out the location of the pollen.

The more shooters you have on the floor, the easier it is to find an OPEN shooter.

UConn has 5 players on its roster who have hit 30 treys or more this season. Maryland has 2.

terpsforever

PostPosted: 04/06/15 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

geeceem wrote:
larmarch5 wrote:
FS02 wrote:

All of the above ring true to me. I'd add that more than just not passing up open shots, Geno's offenses are geared toward creating open shots via screens and off-ball movement. He sits players for taking contested shots. I don't very often see one of his players make a wild charge into the lane to sling up some crazy off-balance underhanded layup. I see it all the time from other teams.

Maryland is becoming a perennial contender, but they won't reach that top tier until they learn a more disciplined/consistent style of play. Right now, their physical gifts are still being used to mask their lack of discipline: they use their muscle to swarm the boards and use their speed in transition--but their turnover rate is a statistical indicator of how carelessly they still play.

I absolutely agree with you on MD. I would say the same about South Carolina too.

geeceem

PostPosted: 04/06/15 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
larmarch5 wrote:
All the top tier teams have shooters. Maryland has shooters; it's just they can't get the ball to the OPEN shooter when they are dribbling the ball like bees dancing out the location of the pollen.

The more shooters you have on the floor, the easier it is to find an OPEN shooter.

UConn has 5 players on its roster who have hit 30 treys or more this season. Maryland has 2.

I think that stat would need some refinement for strength of schedule. When you're playing against teams that don't/can't defend the perimeter, your numbers should be good.

UConn's numbers versus Dayton and subsequently Maryland aren't so remarkable. Dayton went 10-19 for threes while UConn went 9-20. Against the Terps, UConn went 8-22, while MD was 5-19.

For that matter, the NCAA stats page says that UConn was something like #8 in the country for three pointers per game. I didn't see anybody else in the Final Four in the top 50. But again, strength of schedule figures in there somewhere.

Still, there is no doubt: the more scorers you have, the more likely you are to win. And I'll still maintain that no teams are better at creating open shots for their scorers than Geno's.

[Edited to correct "strength of Schulz" to "strength of schedule" after I picked myself up off the floor from laughing. And I should have added thanks to all for contributing to an interesting thread.]

StevenHW

PostPosted: 04/08/15 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
Why is Tom Cruise there?

Now we know why...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3027024/Tom-Cruise-son-Connor-enjoy-low-key-afternoon-watching-basketball-Florida-claims-doesn-t-daughter-Suri.html

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/08/15 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if brenda thinks a repeat of the FF teams next year would be bad for the sport. Cool

PostPosted: 05/13/15 8:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

geeceem wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
larmarch5 wrote:

I think that stat would need some refinement for strength of schedule. When you're playing against teams that don't/can't defend the perimeter, your numbers should be good.

UConn's numbers versus Dayton and subsequently Maryland aren't so remarkable. Dayton went 10-19 for threes while UConn went 9-20. Against the Terps, UConn went 8-22, while MD was 5-19.

For that matter, the NCAA stats page says that UConn was something like #8 in the country for three pointers per game. I didn't see anybody else in the Final Four in the top 50. But again, strength of schedule figures in there somewhere.

Still, there is no doubt: the more scorers you have, the more likely you are to win. And I'll still maintain that no teams are better at creating open shots for their scorers than Geno's.

[Edited to correct "strength of Schulz" to "strength of schedule" after I picked myself up off the floor from laughing. And I should have added thanks to all for contributing to an interesting thread.]

So, UCONN led the nation in 3 point FG% at 40.6%. I actually went through and took every team they played that was in the NCAA tournament and every game besides the first round in the NCAA tournament and UCONN actually shot 40.7% from three against those teams.

ucbart

PostPosted: 05/13/15 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

geeceem wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
larmarch5 wrote:

Notre Dame was #8 in the nation shooting 38.3% from 3.

geeceem

PostPosted: 05/13/15 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
geeceem wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
larmarch5 wrote:

So, UCONN led the nation in 3 point FG% at 40.6%. I actually went through and took every team they played that was in the NCAA tournament and every game besides the first round in the NCAA tournament and UCONN actually shot 40.7% from three against those teams.

Strength of schedule still means something, even in the tournament: in conference, UConn shot around 41% from the three point line; against MD and ND in the tournament, they dropped to about 35%. Dayton shot the lights out against UConn but were unable to defend....

But Geno also teaches defense: the Huskies held MD to 26% from the three, and ND to 27%--both well below the latters' respective season percentages.

I was surprised to see that KML was not the most accurate three-point shooter for UConn this past year. That honor went to Moriah J., who shot about a percentage point better (rounds up to 50% to KML's 49%). Still, KML had far more attempts and kept her average high: she's just a great shooter.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: