RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NL shares draft gossip

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keegan

PostPosted: 04/11/05 8:49 pm    ::: NL shares draft gossip Reply Reply with quote

http://sports.espn.go.com/wnba/columns/story?id=2034993

Quote:
Phoenix could benefit from picking up a player such as Kansas State's Kendra Wecker or TCU's Sandora Irvin, although the Mercury might be turned off by Irvin because they had a player like that in Adrian Williams. There's also some talk that the Mercury would draft Wecker and then package her with Plenette Pierson in a trade with Washington for Chasity Melvin and a future draft pick.

Hmmmmm... not a real fan of this.
pilight

PostPosted: 04/11/05 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sandora Irvin is like Adrian Williams? Question Confused

PostPosted: 04/11/05 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I don't see it either.

The thing about Chas is, she's a decent enough post but I don't think her D and rebounding are good enough for the Merc's purposes and Sandora would be on a significantly cheaper salary scale.
MT_Swoopes

PostPosted: 04/11/05 9:12 pm    ::: Re: NL shares draft gossip Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
If you've heard the rumors that the Comets were shopping Sheryl Swoopes around, they are correct. However, Swoopes' biggest asset is her tremendous marketability in Houston, and with her ability to sell tickets in that area, expect Swoopes to remain there for now.

Without any offers for Swoopes, right, expect the Comets to select the best available player or whoever's left from the Irvin, Lyttle, Braxton, Wecker, McCarville and White pool. LSU point guard Temeka Johnson is also a possibility here.

I wonder how accurate Lieberman is. I wonder if the Silver Stars selecting a big would effect the Comets choice. I'm doubting it, unless the Comets take Irvin and trade Sheryl.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 04/11/05 9:15 pm    ::: Re: NL shares draft gossip Reply Reply with quote

She mentions Lyttle, Johnson, & Braxton...but not Dionnah Jackson? O-kay Confused .

LoveJanet

PostPosted: 04/11/05 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Washington Mystics The Mystics need a scorer, and Wecker would fit the bill perfectly if she's still on the board. Also, Johnson could be a nice fit in coach Michael Adams' running style. And Oklahoma's Dionnah Jackson could be a fit for No. 6 overall.

If the Mystics get Wecker, then they really do a service to this team. Although, I'm not sure why the Mercury would do this deal.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 04/11/05 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Blaze is one to be impressed by Pre-Draft Camp wonders (like Christon last year). I think she'll take Braxton if she's still available (and if the Yo deal doesn't go down).

PostPosted: 04/12/05 12:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmm. Not really too surprised that Sheryl is on the trading block.

How about Swoopes + the 5th pick
to San Antonio for LaToya Thomas + the 4th pick?

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/12/05 2:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just let things play out...there are a lot of discussions going back and forth among all the teams. All will be revealed in time.

As for Blaze, the Yo deal is dead. Blaze rejected it.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/12/05 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Sure, they're both tall, thin and cute! What else would Nancy be looking for?

caune

PostPosted: 04/12/05 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
pilight wrote:

Sure, they're both tall, thin and cute! What else would Nancy be looking for?

Do not go through with this trade!
Chas is a chemistry nightmare, and Chemistry was our strongest asset last season.

And can someone please find do me some research...I didn't think you could trade future draft picks?

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 04/12/05 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
By the time Saturday rolls around, the Silver Stars might have already given themselves two of the top eight draft picks. On Monday, a deal to send Margo Dydek to Connecticut in exchange for the Sun's first-round picks this year and in 2006 was imminent.

Seems to make limited sense for both teams... Margo was pushed to the bench under Dee Brown's new up-tempo offense because she couldn't run with Marie and PeeWee. CONN is also a running offense, so you'd think Margo would have the same integration problems... Shocked

However, if Margo is unhappy, better get something for her now, and get a trade which doesn't send her to the Western Conference. And for CONN, a #8 pick for Margo is quite a deal, even if they just keep her for a future mid-season trade package... Confused

sambista

PostPosted: 04/12/05 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
And can someone please find do me some research...I didn't think you could trade future draft picks?

if i understand your question, caune, i believe it has already been done (i think it's been done before this year, too):

March 3
The Charlotte Sting acquired Tangela Smith and a 2006 second round draft pick from the Sacramento

Last edited by sambista on 04/12/05 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
stever

PostPosted: 04/12/05 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They aren't likely to be lottery picks either year, but for the Sun to give TWO first round picks, this year and next for a big stiff like Dydek just seems crazy/stupid to me. Seems like Thibault is more savvy than that.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/12/05 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The last I heard of trading picks, you can only go one year into the future. Which is good. Who knows what Blaze would do if she could go two or three years down the line, or that conditional thing the NBA does.

PostPosted: 04/13/05 8:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The rules were changed this year. You are allowed to trade the following year's pick during a certain window before the draft. However, you can not trade back to back 1st picks before the draft. In CONN vs. SA scenario, CONN has to draft #8 for SA then trade that PLAYER and the future # 1 AFTER the draft.

stever

PostPosted: 04/13/05 8:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, coach...you got anything up your sleeve come Saturday? Wink
...great to see you picked up Niele yesterday...is KH-C a dead issue?

SFO

PostPosted: 04/13/05 8:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KHC will not be playing in the WNBA this year. As for Saturday....Hmmmmmm, you never know.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/13/05 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SFO wrote:
The rules were changed this year. You are allowed to trade the following year's pick during a certain window before the draft. However, you can not trade back to back 1st picks before the draft. In CONN vs. SA scenario, CONN has to draft #8 for SA then trade that PLAYER and the future # 1 AFTER the draft.

That's good to know.

Maybe the new commish will figure out that many fans actually want to know this kind of thing and put a summary of the trade rules somewhere on wnba.com. One thing VeProf is right about, the W is way too secretive about this kind of thing.

PostPosted: 04/13/05 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Indiana Fever
The word out of Indiana is that the Fever really wanted White, as well, and even offered Natalie Williams and their draft pick to Charlotte. Instead, expect Indiana to bolster its lineup with McCarville.

I'm not sure why Indiana is so bent on drafting Tan White at #2 when Irvin's available and they could use another F/C...

The talent of both players aside, Guards are generally easier to replace than Posts, and meanwhile they have Deanna Jackson to fill the hole. Especially since on paper, Indiana's roster looks like it will be in a tight race for the 4th and final playoff spot this year. That means that there's a good chance Indiana may miss the cutoff and get another lottery pick next year, a year that will have guards like Monique Curry, G/F Siemone Augustus, and Cappie 'Get Geno' Pondexter.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 04/13/05 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Indiana wants White so that they can have offense in the backcourt. Too often, the offensive load was placed on Kelly, and sometimes that doesn't go too well. Also, with the addition of Tan, Deanna would be able to move back to the 3, where I think she is better suited.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 04/13/05 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
Indiana wants White so that they can have offense in the backcourt. Too often, the offensive load was placed on Kelly, and sometimes that doesn't go too well. Also, with the addition of Tan, Deanna would be able to move back to the 3, where I think she is better suited.

But that would mean a return to the 4 for Tamika Catchings, an experiment that Brian Winters ended last year before the draft... Confused

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/13/05 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
BBallFanCT729 wrote:

But that would mean a return to the 4 for Tamika Catchings, an experiment that Brian Winters ended last year before the draft... Confused

I was going to comment about how much I liked Tamika at the 2. That team was big and powerful.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 04/13/05 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
BBallFanCT729 wrote:

True. I think Tamika can be effective in the 2-4 positions, and with Tan White in the lineup, I don't think Tamika would have to worry about scoring every time down the floor, or setting her teammates up. Who knows?

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 04/13/05 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:
BBallFanCT729 wrote:

I was going to comment about how much I liked Tamika at the 2. That team was big and powerful.

Yes, it was. I just think Deanna should be moved back to the 3. If this is the way Indiana wants to go, then I would pick Sandora over Janel, as long as she is available. Sandora suits Indiana better than Janel.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: