RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBL (Australia) 2015/16 Season
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hellcat24

PostPosted: 03/12/15 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WNBL has announced a new franchise will be entering the competition next season, based in South East Queensland. The yet to be named club has already signed Erin Phillips for 2015/16.

PostPosted: 03/13/15 12:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hellcat24 wrote:
The WNBL has announced a new franchise will be entering the competition next season, based in South East Queensland. The yet to be named club has already signed Erin Phillips for 2015/16.

As a South East Queenslander without a team I say hooray!

IM in OC

PostPosted: 03/13/15 8:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I dont know if I missed it but has an owner been found for Adelaide? Or is the S.E. Queensland team a replacement team for the WNBL.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/13/15 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
I dont know if I missed it but has an owner been found for Adelaide? Or is the S.E. Queensland team a replacement team for the WNBL.

2 separate things.
There was previously a team in S.E. Qld called Logan Thunder, which folded, so this is more like a replacement for them.

It's all very quiet in Adelaide, but hopefully there's plenty going on behind the scenes to have a team ready for next season. That would be a big deal for the league to lose Adelaide. I'm staying optimistic at this stage.

PostPosted: 03/14/15 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

if you want updates on the adelaide lightning developments - go to their website and sign up for "lightning surge" updates.

http://www.wnbl.com.au/index.php?id=1387
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/28/15 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
It appears the longtime Boomers member Rachel Jarry has signed on with South East Queensland.

Yep, Rachel & Erin are a very nice first couple of signings for the league's new team (assuming Rachel's run of injury misfortune has finally come to an end)

Minnesota basketball fans might recognise the head coach too - Shane Heal.

WNBL Signings Tracker

PostPosted: 03/30/15 8:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stacia Robertson to Bendigo

http://www.highpointpanthers.com/news/2015/3/27/W-Basketball_0327153445.aspx

Quote:
The Grand Island, Neb., native saved her best for last, averaging 16.3 points and 10.0 rebounds per game en route to being named 2014-15 Big South Player of the Year.

PostPosted: 03/30/15 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Stacia Robertson to Bendigo

http://www.highpointpanthers.com/news/2015/3/27/W-Basketball_0327153445.aspx

Quote:
The Grand Island, Neb., native saved her best for last, averaging 16.3 points and 10.0 rebounds per game en route to being named 2014-15 Big South Player of the Year.

That is Bendigo of the SEABL, not the WNBL......just for clarification purposes.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/30/15 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBL review calls for move to winter (USA summer) and shorter season

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/wnbl-review-calls-for-move-to-winter-and-shorter-season-20150331-1mbnzh.html

Quote:
The WNBL could undergo a massive transformation following a review of the league by the Australian Sports Commission.

At the top of the report's 53 recommendations is the league moving back to play between April and July in a shorter 16-game season with an expanded finals series which involve home-and-away semi-finals series followed bya best-of-three grand final series

What a mess, eh?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
IM in OC

PostPosted: 03/31/15 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WNBL review calls for move to winter (USA summer) and shorter season

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/wnbl-review-calls-for-move-to-winter-and-shorter-season-20150331-1mbnzh.html

Quote:
The WNBL could undergo a massive transformation following a review of the league by the Australian Sports Commission.

At the top of the report's 53 recommendations is the league moving back to play between April and July in a shorter 16-game season with an expanded finals series which involve home-and-away semi-finals series followed bya best-of-three grand final series

What a mess, eh?

Luuuc, please keep us up to date on this announcement. I was reading on one of the Aussie forums some stuff about no WA team, due to the cost.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/31/15 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA player and Australian Opal Bec Allen signs for South East Queensland WNBL team

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/logan/wnba-player-and-australian-opal-bec-allen-signs-for-south-east-queensland-wnbl-team/story-fni9r220-1227286170025

Quote:
The club has become the only WNBL team to feature three Opals thanks to the addition of New York Liberty WNBA player Rebecca Allen.

The 185cm forward will join fellow Australian representatives Erin Phillips and Rachel Jarry in the side as coach Shane Heal continues to build an impressive roster ahead of the club’s debut season.

Looks like I've aleady found my fav WNBL club for next season.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/31/15 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great signing by SEQ. They're clearly serious about being a playoff team. Something that the Logan Thunder never managed, from memory.

IM in OC wrote:
Shades wrote:
WNBL review calls for move to winter (USA summer) and shorter season[/size]

Luuuc, please keep us up to date on this announcement. I was reading on one of the Aussie forums some stuff about no WA team, due to the cost.

Will do.

I'm not stressing about that aspect atm. That is a report that the league has had its hands on for a while now, and while there is certainly a reasonable argument for cutting loose the perennial strugglers from out west, there are also reasons to keep them, so I'll be surprised if that suggestion goes ahead.
On the contrary, I've heard word that the men's team in Perth, which is very well run and is actually turning a significant profit (which is basically unheard of for a basketball team in Australia), is interested in acquiring the women's team. If that happens I would expect a further improvement on the court.
Interesting times indeed in this highly unstable league.

There has been a lot of initial reaction to the idea of moving back to the winter as well. I think quite a bit of further analysis will have to take place before that gets the green light. Personally I'm not a fan of the idea, although it could be one of the aspects that made the men's team interested in the first place - being able to utilise some of their staff in the off-season.

PostPosted: 04/01/15 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
He also confirmed SEQ would be chasing a US import centre then fill the rest of their roster with young and emerging talents with several players from Queensland on his list.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/south-east-queensland-sign-australian-opals-star-rebecca-allen-20150401-1mckou.html

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/01/15 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Quote:
He also confirmed SEQ would be chasing a US import centre then fill the rest of their roster with young and emerging talents with several players from Queensland on his list.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/south-east-queensland-sign-australian-opals-star-rebecca-allen-20150401-1mckou.html

Young and emerging talents doesn't necessarily mean rounding out the roster with scrubs either. Amy Lewis is the latest signing announced by SEQ. Very handy player.
Bit of a worry for the Adelaide Lightning too that one of theirs has signed elsewhere. Still no news on whether they're going to even exist next season. If they are, they'd better hurry up before there's no one left to sign. Lots of contracts being signed this week.

Quote:
WNBL Signings Tracker

PostPosted: 04/02/15 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Shades wrote:
Quote:

Young and emerging talents doesn't necessarily mean rounding out the roster with scrubs either. Amy Lewis is the latest signing announced by SEQ. Very handy player.
Bit of a worry for the Adelaide Lightning too that one of theirs has signed elsewhere. Still no news on whether they're going to even exist next season. If they are, they'd better hurry up before there's no one left to sign. Lots of contracts being signed this week.

Quote:
WNBL Signings Tracker

No Adelaide or WCW players signed yet. Two bottom teams from this past season. Not a good sign.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/02/15 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Shades wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
WNBL Signings Tracker

No Adelaide or WCW players signed yet. Two bottom teams from this past season. Not a good sign.

I'm at least hearing positive rumours about WCW even though nothing concrete has eventuated yet.
Adelaide is more of a worry to me right now.
Boti Nagy wrote a scathing piece on his blog yesterday about how their situation has been handled.
I can't see Adelaide going without a team in the long term though, even if they can't get their shit sorted out in time for next season. That what the optimist in me is saying anyway.

Bendigo is in disarray as well, or at least it sure seems that way from the outside because everyone involved seems to be airing out their dirty laundry on the club's Facebook page. Their high quality core group of players are already signed up for next season but financially the club seems to be right on the brink.

Worrying times.

PostPosted: 04/03/15 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Every league, in every country, goes through ups and downs, but there are long-term trends.

In the U.S., I'd say women's basketball has leveled out; the drop in participation at the lower levels is definitely worrying, but Title IX and college scholarships pretty much assure that any dropoff won't be too step.

What's the situation in Australia? It seems like good players keep arriving, but how much does that depend on the success of the WNBL? Or, in other words, where would you predict the sport will be in five or ten years?

PostPosted: 04/10/15 3:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
What's the situation in Australia? It seems like good players keep arriving, but how much does that depend on the success of the WNBL? Or, in other words, where would you predict the sport will be in five or ten years?

Participation rates for basketball at junior levels are still excellent. They just can't seem to translate the interest in playing the sport into interest in watching the sport. It caught on briefly during the Jordan era, but it never really took hold. The sport wasn't managed well, interest faded, and it has been struggling for the last 15 years, both men & women.
The national leagues are not in good shape, but as long as people keep playing basketball, I guess we can expect some flow of talent to the top level to continue. That flow is increasingly bypassing the national leagues.

Luuuc wrote:
IM in OC wrote:

Will do.

I'm not stressing about that aspect atm. That is a report that the league has had its hands on for a while now, and while there is certainly a reasonable argument for cutting loose the perennial strugglers from out west, there are also reasons to keep them, so I'll be surprised if that suggestion goes ahead.
On the contrary, I've heard word that the men's team in Perth, which is very well run and is actually turning a significant profit (which is basically unheard of for a basketball team in Australia), is interested in acquiring the women's team. If that happens I would expect a further improvement on the court.

Following up on this, it sounds like the West Coast Waves change of ownership is a done deal, so at least that's one club that won't be lost to the league next season.

Still nothing to report from Adelaide or Bendigo though Sad

PostPosted: 04/15/15 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Following up on this, it sounds like the West Coast Waves change of ownership is a done deal, so at least that's one club that won't be lost to the league next season.

So the West Coast Waves will be rebranded as the Perth Lynx (the name they had up until 2010), and they are sharing the same main colour (red) and font with the Perth Wildcats men's team.

PostPosted: 04/15/15 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

So the West Coast Waves will be rebranded as the Perth Lynx (the name they had up until 2010), and they are sharing the same main colour (red) and font with the Perth Wildcats men's team.

I like the logo, but the lettering seems a bit off. Like the red though.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/15/15 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know there aren't too many different ways you can go with a Lynx logo, but it's a bit, um, familiar...

PostPosted: 04/15/15 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Copycat!!

Are Lynx even native to Australia?

hellcat24

PostPosted: 04/16/15 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, but then again neither are Wildcats.

While the logo is a vast improvement on their last one (below), I too thought it looked a lot like Minnesota's. Wouldn't be the first time the Wildcats have taken 'inspiration' from elsewhere. One of the NBA's graphic designers called them out for taking a little too much inspiration from the graphics he created for the EverybodyUp campaign.

PostPosted: 04/19/15 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Briana Butler (nee Gilbreath) has signed with the defending champion Townsville Fire.

Link

PostPosted: 04/20/15 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Briana Butler (nee Gilbreath) has signed with the defending champion Townsville Fire.

Link

Good pick up. I watched her for 4 years at USC, along with Cassie Harberts who played for WCW last season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: