RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Player throws ball to out-of-bounds person -- Whose Ball?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/29/15 10:56 pm    ::: Player throws ball to out-of-bounds person -- Whose Ball? Reply Reply with quote

Suppose a player from Team A, who is in bounds, bats or throws the ball off a person who is out of bounds. Whose ball is it, Team A's or Team B's, if the out-of-bounds person is:

1. A fan.
2. A referee.
3. Team B's coach.
4. A Team B player who is out of the game on the bench.
5. A Team B player who is in the game.

Does it make a difference in any of these scenarios if the ball passed under control to the out-of-bounds person or, instead, is a bat of a loose ball?
GEF34

PostPosted: 03/29/15 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It only matters if the player the ball bounces off of is in the game. If the ball bounces off a player not in the game, ref, coach, chair, etc. the ball is considered "out" by the person who last touched it that is in the game. Control of the ball or possession of the ball is not relevant, so if the last thing it touched before it went out of bounds is a person's shoe, then the ball is said to be "out" by the person who is wearing the shoe, even if it was thrown purposely at the shoe because another person as falling out of bounds or being trapped.

Edited: typo, see below Embarassed

Last edited by GEF34 on 03/30/15 3:04 am; edited 1 time in total
CompSci87

PostPosted: 03/30/15 2:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I looked up the rule recently because of a question on another board.

I think GEF34 meant to write that control or possession is not relevant, since in fact it isn't, consistent with GEF's examples.

Essentially, if the first thing the ball touches out of bounds is a player who's in the game, the ball is out off that player. Otherwise it's out off the last player to touch it before it went out.

One painful case is if you're inbounding the ball and an opponent gets a hand on it and knocks it right back at you while you're still out of bounds. If you fail to get out of the way and you're the first thing out of bounds it touches, you've just turned it over.

GEF34

PostPosted: 03/30/15 3:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CompSci87 wrote:

I think GEF34 meant to write that control or possession is not relevant, since in fact it isn't, consistent with GEF's examples.

Embarassed that was a typo. You are correct, I meant "not relevant".

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/30/15 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting that it happened in both the ND women's and men's games. Last night Turner threw it off of a Baylor player (sorry, I don't remember who) who was laying on the baseline and Saturday a KY player threw it off of a ND player who was on the floor out of bounds.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: