RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Curtain of Distraction: Fair or Foul?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Curtain of Distraction
Fair
50%
 50%  [ 17 ]
Foul
14%
 14%  [ 5 ]
We need to do something like that for our team
35%
 35%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 34

hyperetic

PostPosted: 03/27/15 6:57 pm    ::: Curtain of Distraction: Fair or Foul? Reply Reply with quote

Kara Lawson and Rebecca Lobo Discuss the "Curtain of Distraction"
WNBA greats and ESPN analysts Kara Lawson and Rebecca Lobo discuss (and take on) Arizona State's "Curtain of Distraction".

http://espn.go.com/espnw/video/12548847/curtain-distraction
mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/28/15 6:34 pm    ::: Re: Curtain of Distraction: Fair or Foul? Reply Reply with quote

That is fantastic.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/29/15 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought I'd never see a more heinous attempt at FT distraction than the asinine LT flashing MISS IT!! sign (still in use??), but I was wrong.

PostPosted: 03/29/15 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like it a lot better than distractions that are personal attacks on individual players. And if sparks student enthusiasm and fills seats, that's a good thing. It's a reminder that college basketball is supposed to be a fun extracurricular activity.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/29/15 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I like it a lot better than distractions that are personal attacks on individual players. And if sparks student enthusiasm and fills seats, that's a good thing. It's a reminder that college basketball is supposed to be a fun extracurricular activity.

X_________________

(BTW, I love the job Kara and Rebecca are doing in the studio for the Tounament! The "test" of the curtain on their performance was LOL funny.)

hyperetic

PostPosted: 03/30/15 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
I thought I'd never see a more heinous attempt at FT distraction than the asinine LT flashing MISS IT!! sign (still in use??), but I was wrong.

You seem to be of the minority opinion here. While I fall on the favorable side for the most part, I do worry about the lengths that this may go to as fans continue to escalate this kind of support for their team. Will nudity and simulated sex acts be allowed? Will severed mascot heads and simulated violence toward effigies of players, coaches, etc. be okay?
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/30/15 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY better than the ND band member who yells out "You will not make this shot" every time an opponent shoots a free throw.

How do they choose this guy? Is he the loser in a game of horse or something?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/30/15 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

You seem to be of the minority opinion here. While I fall on the favorable side for the most part, I do worry about the lengths that this may go to as fans continue to escalate this kind of support for their team. Will nudity and simulated sex acts be allowed? Will severed mascot heads and simulated violence toward effigies of players, coaches, etc. be okay?

Well, it is still subject to Rule 10, Article 8:

Art. 8. Team followers (fans, bands, cheerleaders and mascots associated with either team) shall not commit an unsportsmanlike act, including, but not limited to, the following:
a. Using musical instruments, amplified music or artificial noisemakers
while the game is in progress, except timeouts and intermissions.
b. Using laser pointers.
c. Throwing debris on the court after officials jurisdiction has begun.
d. Delaying the game by preventing the ball from being promptly made live
or by preventing continuous play, such as but not limited to, followers
entering the playing court before the player activity has been terminated.
When the delay does not interfere with play, it shall be ignored.
e. Using profanity or language that is abusive, vulgar or obscene.

The officials have pretty wide discretion in deciding wheat is "abusive, vulgar or obscene" and these are only examples. They could determine other things that cross the line of good taste are "unsportsmanlike acts."

It's a 2 shot technical foul, or they can require the offenders to be ejected from the premises.

dtrain34

PostPosted: 05/01/17 12:19 am    ::: Anyone know where to find this video???? Reply Reply with quote

I've been half heartedly looking for this clip ever since ESPN took it down. A great bit of family history as my daughter was the one who made both free throws during this video.

Since ESPN leaves clips of games up for years, thought I'd have time to capture it but they dropped it after a few days,

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 05/01/17 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was great that Phelps got involved and came through the curtain.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/01/17 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Link did not work for me.

PostPosted: 05/03/17 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I like it a lot better than distractions that are personal attacks on individual players.

Personal attacks such as taunting an opposing player because his father was assassinated? Or taunting an opposing coach after his wife died of cancer?

I don't have any issues with the curtain of distraction, but then again ASU has set a really low bar when it comes to fan behavior. Several years ago, there was a minor physical altercation between ASU fans and UW players as the players tried to make their way to the locker room at halftime (the players were not in the stands). And a couple of years ago, ASU fans spit on members of the opposing team--it wasn't UW, but I believe it was another Pac-12 school. Clearly a lack of security continues to be an issue at Wells Fargo Arena. I'm sure if it were any other school, I would find the curtain of distraction super amusing. I don't have much respect for the ASU student section, but I do applaud their creativity with the curtain.

Phil

PostPosted: 05/04/17 1:39 pm    ::: Re: Anyone know where to find this video???? Reply Reply with quote

dtrain34 wrote:
I've been half heartedly looking for this clip ever since ESPN took it down. A great bit of family history as my daughter was the one who made both free throws during this video.

Since ESPN leaves clips of games up for years, thought I'd have time to capture it but they dropped it after a few days,

Very cool.

I like the curtain, and I like the fact that your daughter made her free throws.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/05/17 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The JMU Pep Band, which functions pretty much as the student cheering section, is known for its creativity, expressed in some pretty amusing signs flashed at opposing free throw shooters during the second half. I've seen the percussion players flash cymbals, too, but since they're at a level considerably above the goal, I don't think they have much effect. If the UT Pep Band, which sits right down at floor level, were to engage in similar activities, it might have a different effect.

I never did see the "Curtain of Distraction" link.

PostPosted: 05/24/17 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very cool.

I like the curtain, and I like the fact that your daughter made her free throws.

Thanks, Phil. The clip that's now dead was hilarious.

Lobo, Lawson and Adande watched the C of D portray a guy in a tie with soaked shirt surrounded by sea creatures and had no clue what it was supposed to be. You could almost see them falling on the ground in Bristol and rolling around.

It was supposed to be University of Arizona men's coach Sean Miller, who had gotten a lot of grief for sweating through his shirt in a recent game. After all the hilarity, they showed my daughter shrugging as she got back on defense and said something like "Sasha Weber doesn't get it either but it clearly didn't bother her...."

I'd love to have the clip but I think ESPN dropped it because their anchors looked uniformed for not getting the Miller reference and no one seems to have it on their DVR anymore Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: