RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Kiah Stokes Gamble
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/20/15 12:20 am    ::: The Kiah Stokes Gamble Reply Reply with quote

Some commentators, most notably Rebecca Lobo, have touted Kiah Stokes as a high draft pick and a candidate for a long pro career.

They note her powerful body and strong rebounding and shot blocking skills. Granted.

However, basketball is still most fundamentally about putting the ball in the basket. Stokes has been a reluctant shooter her entire career, even when in the top seven rotation, and scoring improvement has eluded her. Here are her career scoring stats:

Fr - 4.5 ppg in 13.4 mpg (0.34 ppm)

So - 2.8 ppg in 10.7 mpg (0.26 ppm)

Ju - 4.5 ppg in 18.5 mpg (0.24 ppm)

Sr - 4.7 ppg in 19.1 mpg (0.25 ppm)

There's been no improvement in Stokes' scoring productivity over four years, the last two of those in the AAC. It remains weak.

What's the likelihood that Stokes would become a more productive scorer in the WNBA and that she could last very long purely as a rebounder and shot blocker? 'Tis a gamble, methinks, and perhaps a long shot.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/20/15 12:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Jessica Moore Had A Long Career In The W , Im pretty sure stokes has a chance. I actually would rate Stokes with more potential Than Moore At ThisTime Of Her Career. Jessica Was Just A Workhorse Though. Gotta love A Player That Plays As Hard As She Did.

PostPosted: 03/20/15 6:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Moore was a journeywoman and at the end was basically a placeholder for Gruda/extra huskie for gate at the end of the Sun bench.

not exactly what Lobo had in mind

Will say you take a huskie you'll get the hardest worker you can buy. And that's where Stokes may go a bit higher.

I still have her late 1st round but if she goes 6th or 7th we're so think I wouldn't faint, top 5 tho....a reach Glenn is right W players need to put the ball in the net.

PostPosted: 03/20/15 7:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
If Jessica Moore Had A Long Career In The W , Im pretty sure stokes has a chance.

Jessica Moore averaged over eight ppg for her UConn career and was a late second round pick.

Stokes is nowhere near as big or strong as Jayne Appel (who averaged over 14 ppg in college).

Stokes as a possible first rounder says more about how bad this draft is than about how good Stokes is.

PostPosted: 03/20/15 7:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The problem I have with Stokes is that in such a weak conference and not being a starter, she could have dominated even in the minutes she played. It might be fair to say well, with Stewie, KML, Jefferson, Tuck and Nurse, she didn't need to score....but she was a bench player so at least one of them would not be on the floor when she played AND in many games Kiah was the veteran playing the final like ten minutes in games. She should have used that time to prove she CAN be a scorer. I'd totally take her for my bench but I'm going to make sure she fits first so if that's a late first round so be it, if its early second round, okay too. If it's early first round then the rest of the class isn't very impressive.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/20/15 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Almost without exception, even players who become WNBA role players and defensive stopers, etc., were scorers in college. Armintie Herrington scored more than 2000 points at Ole Miss. Courtney Vandersloot scored almost 20 points a game as a senior. Courtney Paris is thought of as a rebounder, but she scored more than 2,500 points in college.

We had this conversation with Kelly Faris, who did a lot more in college than Stokes has.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/20/15 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Almost without exception, even players who become WNBA role players and defensive stopers, etc., were scorers in college. Armintie Herrington scored more than 2000 points at Ole Miss. Courtney Vandersloot scored almost 20 points a game as a senior. Courtney Paris is thought of as a rebounder, but she scored more than 2,500 points in college.

We had this conversation with Kelly Faris, who did a lot more in college than Stokes has.

Even the ones on the bench fit that mold. Jennifer Lacy scored 17 ppg as a senior. Waltiea Rolle, who could barely get on the floor for the worst team in the league last year, is bigger than Stokes and scored 12 ppg as a senior.

PostPosted: 03/20/15 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm convinced. I'm not stoked about her anymore

tfan

PostPosted: 03/20/15 8:56 pm    ::: Re: The Kiah Stokes Gamble Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Some commentators, most notably Rebecca Lobo, have touted Kiah Stokes as a high draft pick

Lin Dunn as well, but her praise seemed more for her coach than the player.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/20/15 9:01 pm    ::: Re: The Kiah Stokes Gamble Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Some commentators, most notably Rebecca Lobo, have touted Kiah Stokes as a high draft pick

Lin Dunn as well, but her praise seemed more for her coach than the player.

Just like her praise for Dolson last year (even though she didn't draft her), fished out by UConn writer Altavilla

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 03/21/15 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

She stokes a lot of controversy. It's like there is more than one Kiah -- different Stokes for different folks.

PostPosted: 03/21/15 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Randy wrote:

She stokes a lot of controversy. It's like there is more than one Kiah -- different Stokes for different folks.

Could be a good reason for someone to draft her. We could continue to stoke the fires arguing about her for years.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 03/22/15 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Drafting Stokes is not a gamble if a team has the right plan on how to take advantage on what she does best. This young lady is a rebounding and shot blocking monster! This woman can become a positive version of Dennis Rodman. She can be a team's ultimate defensive stopper. I do not know of any basketball coach that does
not like a player that excells at playing defense. Very Happy

PostPosted: 03/22/15 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Drafting Stokes is not a gamble if a team has the right plan on how to take advantage on what she does best. This young lady is a rebounding and shot blocking monster! This woman can become a positive version of Dennis Rodman. She can be a team's ultimate defensive stopper. I do not know of any basketball coach that does

Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 03/22/15 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
She can be a team's ultimate defensive stopper. I do not know of any basketball coach that does

Are you hoping CHI picks up Kelly Faris?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 03/23/15 2:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Drafting Stokes is only a gamble if you draft her high in the first round. A team has nothing to lose by drafting her in the second round. Shades this is a Stokes thread not a Faris thread.

PostPosted: 03/23/15 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Stokes is a perfect choice if you've got a Griner, Charles, Fowles, etc. and you need a defensive stopper to give you 10-15 minutes per night while the starter rests.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/23/15 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Stokes is a perfect choice if you've got a Griner, Charles, Fowles, etc. and you need a defensive stopper to give you 10-15 minutes per night while the starter rests.

Yeah, because you could never get an Aneika Henry type without spending a first round pick on her...

PostPosted: 03/23/15 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Yeah, because you could never get an Aneika Henry type without spending a first round pick on her...

by the bottom of the first round, you might be lucky to find a player that can stick on a roster for two years, so if you think she can be the next Aneika Henry, maybe... And btw, I think Henry was an awesome find for Atlanta but you can't always get so lucky out there in FA land.

- Amanda Gorman
Fishhappy

PostPosted: 03/23/15 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

by the bottom of the first round, you might be lucky to find a player that can stick on a roster for two years, so if you think she can be the next Aneika Henry, maybe... And btw, I think Henry was an awesome find for Atlanta but you can't always get so lucky out there in FA land.

The first 8 on most rosters play 95% of the minutes. In this draft there
are only 4 or 5 who can make the first 8 on anyone's roster. So after the pick 5 Stokes has as much or more potential as any one else out there. She would be a good pick for any one that needs a good defensive big

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/23/15 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

and I said first round where?

Randy

PostPosted: 03/23/15 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

On the other hand, I can think of a bunch of first round picks that have not done nearly as well as Aneika - e.g. Kelly Cain, Astan Dabo, Kayla Alexander, Sasha Goodlett, Chanel No. 5. from the Congo...... I could probably go on for hours but you get the point and I would actually have to start looking stuff up.

One major difference between Stokes and Henry, however is that Henry was a latecomer to the game, and maybe didn't get great coaching along the way. I think Stokes has a pretty coach.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/23/15 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
pilight wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Hey DT, nice to see you hanging around. Any more podcasts in the making?

- Amanda Gorman
dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/24/15 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
pilight wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Hey DT, nice to see you hanging around. Any more podcasts in the making?

Thanks myrtle, they're back to weekly podcasts; took a little time off to re-engineer the podcasts.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 03/28/15 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

any new opinions after todays game?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: