RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Serena returning to Indian Wells

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 02/04/15 9:35 am    ::: Serena returning to Indian Wells Reply Reply with quote

http://www.omaze.com/experiences/serena-williams

Quote:
Join Serena Williams on her Return to Indian Wells
to benefit
EQUAL JUSTICE INITIATIVE

PostPosted: 02/04/15 12:55 pm    ::: Re: Serena returning to Indian Wells Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
http://www.omaze.com/experiences/serena-williams

Quote:
Join Serena Williams on her Return to Indian Wells
to benefit
EQUAL JUSTICE INITIATIVE

Perhaps she decided the fools have had enough punishment. Laughing

The Indian Wells tournament used to be considered the unofficial fifth slam event until the shameful heckling of Serena so long ago. That tournament dropped in popularity after the Family Williams stopped supporting it.

PostPosted: 03/13/15 7:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The Indian Wells tournament, which dates to the 1970s, has done fine without her. But this affluent community has been tarnished, some would argue unfairly, by the charges of racism stemming from the 2001 event. Williams’s presence here provides a level of absolution no amount of wealth could buy.

Before Thursday’s news conference, I felt that Williams should have continued her boycott. But after hearing her remarks, it became clear that she had made the wise choice.

Without mentioning events in Ferguson, Mo., in Cleveland and on Staten Island, as well as the recent racist rants by members of a fraternity at the University of Oklahoma, Williams said she was convinced that returning and sounding a note of forgiveness were the right things to do, and this was the right time.

nytimes.com

but a note - even back when serena's boycott started, the event at key biscayne also was argued to be the unofficial fifth slam. i don't think it'll ever be decided, or an official declaration beyond the four changed. at least, i hope not.

PostPosted: 03/21/15 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the spirit of irony, Serena withdrew before her semifinal match with a knee injury

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: