RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

"Year of Readiness"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 02/19/15 10:02 pm    ::: "Year of Readiness" Reply Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/12349646/big-ten-considering-ineligibility-freshmen

Wow. Seems like a good way to destroy your athletic programs.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/19/15 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dumb. Especially for women's programs; women have traditionally accepted sports and athletic scholarships as a means of getting an education, since until recently there wasn't much opportunity for a professional athletic career.

PostPosted: 02/19/15 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I highly, highly doubt the Big Ten, who have been leaders among many things including having a network, expansion, etc, would be foolish enough to put this into play without the other Power 5 leagues also getting on board.

And if you read the article, they haven't even discussed it yet but are planning on doing so...it's not like they have decided anything. Good lord. And the article specifically mentions that the piece that was sent to the member schools discussed men's basketball and football only...nothing about women's sports.

Quote:
The Diamondback, the student newspaper at Maryland, reported Thursday that the Big Ten is circulating a document titled, "A Year of Readiness," which explores making freshmen in football and men's basketball ineligible for competition.

Personally, I would absolutely LOVE to be a fly on the wall in Kentucky's basketball office when Calipari was told this was happening! He would be so pissed that he couldn't have his "one and done" guys anymore.

I have no idea as I haven't read all the studies and whatnot, but if colleges and universities really want to take care of student-athletes, it doesn't hurt to look into various things that may actually help them potentially get their degree. Thus, I'll refrain from dismissing this as "not smart".

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/20/15 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The article quotes both the Big12 and PAC comissioners as well. Obviously the Big10 would do it alone. I suspect this either is or will be on the "autonomy" agenda for the Power 5 to consider instituting.

I actually think it's a good idea. And everything I've heard about it, they would add a year of eligibility so you could still play 4, not go back to the three years of varsity eligibility of the pre-72 era.

Really, is it so bad to give players another year of free education and a year to get acclimated to college studies without travel and other distractions? I have no objection to things that place more emphasis on education. It would improve the quality of play as well, and probably aid parity in WCBB by putting more emphasis on coaching and development during that year and less on signing ready-to-start "bonus babies". How many more women could be impactful on the court if they had a whole year in the gym, the workout room, and the film room, to develop before starting their playing career? As it now stands there just isn't time to develop players once the season starts. They should let them add another assistant specifically for freshmen development.

If it means a few players who weren't interested in a college education anyhow take the Emmanuel Mudiay route and sign a pro contract in Europe right out of High School, that's probably a net plus for college sports.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/20/15 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
The article quotes both the Big12 and PAC comissioners as well. Obviously the Big10 would do it alone. I suspect this either is or will be on the "autonomy" agenda for the Power 5 to consider instituting.

What's to stop kids who want to play as freshpersons from going to a non-Power 5 team?

PostPosted: 02/20/15 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

What's to stop kids who want to play as freshpersons from going to a non-Power 5 team?

Nothing unless they adopt the same rule, which I would bet quite a few other conferences would do. (What are their presidents going to say? "We don't give a damn about our student athletes' educations, all we care about is winning games, so we're not going to do it"? I doubt that.)

But how many elite players do you think would pass on playing in the P5 just so they could play as freshmen? Some sports more than others. But not a lot would be my guess.

And BTW, it would give the P5 one more excuse not to play against non-P5 teams that were choosing to play freshmen. They could play OOC against each other and against the conferences that adopted the rule. It wouldn't surprise me that if the P5 adopt the rule, it won't be long until it becomes a Div I rule. I would expect the Ivy, BE, Patriot, A10, MAC, and MAAC would go along right away.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/20/15 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When I was a kid that used to be the rule. In fact, the UW *freshman* football coach was our next door neighbor for a number of years. However, it changed before I was in high school and Fred Marsh then became the JV coach.

It's a stupid idea, IMO, and I think it'll get voted down.

PostPosted: 02/20/15 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If it was going to get voted down I doubt that so many P5 commissioners would be talking it up.

"Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said there is "almost a uniform acknowledgment that there's kids in college that don't have any interest in an education and don't have the proper education to take advantage of an education." Bowlsby said freshman ineligibility would have a "profoundly positive effect" on football and men's basketball by easing the transition from high school without the distractions of competition. I think there's a growing interest in a robust debate, and I think we ought to drag it to the ground and consider it any way we can," Bowlsby said. "I think it is the one change that could make an absolutely dramatic difference in college athletics."

"ACC commissioner John Swofford said he has many questions about freshman ineligibility but believes now is the time to vet the issue. "I don't think it's looked upon as radical an idea as it seemed to people five years or 10 years ago because it makes so much sense educationally," Swofford said. "We're in a period now where everybody is trying to get a hold of the student-athlete experience and a recommitment, if you will, to balance academics and athletics."

Ive had conversations with several commissioners about (freshman ineligibility), Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott told Solomon. We are pushing, and I think you will see much more serious conversations about it in the coming months and year.

"Freshman ineligibility "would do a lot to restore credibility and integrity to college basketball," said Scott, whose conference is also studying the potential impact in other sports. "It would demonstrate they're students first on those teams and they're in class and getting grades that would keep them eligible. The reality of one-and-done is it's not even one. It's like half or three-quarters [of a school year] and done."

My guess is that by the time it gets this much push and attention by these folks, it's already a done deal. If it doesn't pass, the biggest reason will be the extra cost of additional scholarships and years. Probably wouldn't have happened without P5 semi-autonomy because of cost concerns of smaller schools, but if the P5 can do this themselves, I expect they are going to.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/25067832/freshman-ineligibility-ncaa-conference-commissioners-at-least-considering-it

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2015/02/13/some-ncaa-conferences-want-to-explore-idea-of-freshman-ineligibility/

I think it would be great in helping unprepared kids cope with college and increase the likelihood of staying in school; would help eliminate some kids who don't want to be, and don't belong, in college anyhow; and would improve the quality of play.

Maybe this would help solve Clay's problem - it would give girls who have been pushed to just use their superior athleticism to win HS and AAU games a chance finally to learn how to make a layup, to move without the ball, and to shoot from 15 feet.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 02/20/15 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two quick thoughts:

1) If implemented, the teams that already have established experience will dominate at first because the "One and done" MBB schools will have to wait an extra year to play the next star cast.

2) How long would it take a new coach to make a school "their program" when it would take two years to get his/her recruits on the floor?

beknighted

PostPosted: 02/20/15 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's a more cynical way to think of this - it's being floated to demonstrate concern about the "student" part of "student athlete" as college sports are being criticized for not caring enough about that, and the clamor will die down once it's served its purpose.

I'm not saying that's right, but I can think of so many reasons this won't happen that I'm looking for explanations for why it's coming up now.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/20/15 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
There's a more cynical way to think of this - it's being floated to demonstrate concern about the "student" part of "student athlete" as college sports are being criticized for not caring enough about that, and the clamor will die down once it's served its purpose.

I'm not saying that's right, but I can think of so many reasons this won't happen that I'm looking for explanations for why it's coming up now.

It's an issue right now because Delaney finally spoke up on it and he's a lightening rod. No one noticed when Scott talked about it a couple weeks ago.

It was apparently on the PAC's list of issues for the P5 meetings months ago. It would have been dead because of cost but for the P5 autonomy. And then Jon Solomon finally wrote that article about it.

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/20/15 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Never one to doubt the cynical factor ... but if everyone did it, it would still be a positive.

Except what about redshirt years and medical hardships? If the clock started after the freshman year, now it could be seven years of after high school and you're still playing (freshman year, two medical redshirts and four years). That would mean 25-year-olds competing against 19-year-olds ....

PostPosted: 02/23/15 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2015/02/22/OSU_men_Matta.html

Buckeye Men's coach Thad Matta says even the idea of this has hurt his recruiting.
Quote:

Last week, the Maryland student newspaper The Diamondback reported that the Big Ten recently provided its member schools with a document titled A Year of Readiness to initiate feedback on possibly making freshmen ineligible in football and mens basketball.

Mattas coaching rivals from outside the Big Ten conveniently overlooked the fact that the idea was broached earlier by Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott and Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby, who told CBSSports.com that there is growing interest among commissioners to explore the idea of possibly changing the freshman eligibility rule.

But some colleagues of mine in other leagues are saying, No, it would just be the Big Ten, Matta said.

The recruits parents are hitting (me) up and saying, Whats going on? My son, if he comes to Ohio State, is not going to be able to play as a freshman? Its like, No, thats not going to happen, and then trying to explain it wouldnt be (only) the Big Ten, it would be all the way across NCAA Division I.

Once you get that explained, it eases the tension. But a lot of guys (outside the Big Ten) are having fun with it. Im a little bit upset that Ive been dealing with this.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: