RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Why Not Others?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 12/13/14 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Y'all, I have a headache. Can we tone down the rhetoric on both sides just a smidge?

PostPosted: 12/13/14 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I wish Diggins could have laudable goals like winning a championship and setting records the way Griner does. That is so refreshing in a WNBA player these days. Instead Skylar just wants to be famous. Nothing wrong with that, per se, but I understand that she also wants money with her fame . And not basketball money - she wants endorsement money. And not the good endorsement money that a player like Maya Moore takes. She wants the other kind. She sounds greedy and without principle, but I hope no one takes that as hate. It's not. Just an observation.

Shocked Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha! That's a very pointed observation to be claiming non-bias. We all have our opinions though. ((Sigh))
hyperetic

PostPosted: 12/13/14 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And check this out, you could legitimately infer from the post in this thread that Diggy is the only woman in the W with good looks, but we all know that's not true. Diggy is taking advantage of some lucrative avenues available to her. She's not a Kardashian, being famous for being famous. She has accomplished significant things in basketball during her collegiate and pro career acknowledged by anyone or not. She doesn't purposely put her personal business in the street. She uses her fame as a tool to further her goals. Like I tried to point out earlier, the W salary is cool for a single person but if you have a family or want to start one your income needs to go beyond that. Again, this is one of the reasons I think W players should do their best to diversify their income.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/13/14 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
And check this out, you could legitimately infer from the post in this thread that Diggy is the only woman in the W with good looks, but we all know that's not true. Diggy is taking advantage of some lucrative avenues available to her. She's not a Kardashian, being famous for being famous. She has accomplished significant things in basketball during her collegiate and pro career acknowledged by anyone or not. She doesn't purposely put her personal business in the street. She uses her fame as a tool to further her goals. Like I tried to point out earlier, the W salary is cool for a single person but if you have a family or want to start one your income needs to go beyond that. Again, this is one of the reasons I think W players should do their best to diversify their income.

BTW, she did a summer internship with ESPN before her senior year. She's always planning for her future, but I think there's a pretty good chance she'll be on-air when her playing days are over.

SCook

PostPosted: 12/13/14 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No one said Diggins didn't have WNBA championship goals. I pointed out what she said in an interview. She wants to be known beyond BB. She said this. BG specifically said she wanted to help the WNBA. Cause let's be honest, BG could have taken her ass to the NBA ( success or not) and would be at Celebrity status. And if she was just as amazing there, she'd have endorsements out the ass, just like the LB's and KD's. Plus she'd go to any award show that she was invited to because she wouldn't have to go overseas the remainder of the year (Despite BG feeling that going overseas helps her with her skills).

PostPosted: 12/13/14 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
No one said Diggins didn't have WNBA championship goals. I pointed out what she said in an interview.

Oh, it looked like you were suggesting she didn't have that goal.

Quote:
She wants to be known beyond BB. She said this. BG specifically said she wanted to help the WNBA. Cause let's be honest, BG could have taken her ass to the NBA ( success or not) and would be at Celebrity status. And if she was just as amazing there, she'd have endorsements out the ass, just like the LB's and KD's. Plus she'd go to any award show that she was invited to because she wouldn't have to go overseas the remainder of the year (Despite BG feeling that going overseas helps her with her skills).

I don't see where Brittney Griner has the athleticism to make an NBA D-league team, let alone be amazing in the NBA. Mark Cuban could have drafted her and told them not to cut her, but I think once she got into the game the idea would have been exposed as a publicity stunt. But until she plays with men (maybe scrimmage with the Suns), it is all conjecture. Although Griner does have NBA reach. LeBron James is listed 6'8" (combine height 6'7 1/4") and has a combine wingspan of 7' 1/4 ". Griner is listed 6'8" and has a published wingspan of 7'4".

But if Brittney Griner can play in the NBA, I think she should do it, but only for a few years, and then come back and play in the WNBA for the duration of her career. That would be great publicity for the league.

ClayK

PostPosted: 12/14/14 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Instead Skylar just wants to be famous. Nothing wrong with that, per se, but I understand that she also wants money with her fame . And not basketball money - she wants endorsement money. And not the good endorsement money that a player like Maya Moore takes. She wants the other kind. She sounds greedy and without principle

OK ...

"She just wants to be famous" -- and you know this how? Could it be she wants to be the best basketball player she can be, and also have a high media profile so she has a career when she retires? I'm not saying she does, but unless you've heard from her directly, this is quite a leap of faith ... or non-faith.

"And not the good endorsement money that a player like Maya Moore takes." So what's "bad" endorsement money? And Moore's endorsement of the Jordan brand, which are high-priced shoes, is "good"? If it encourages young people to spend lots of money on shoes just for the "brand" rather than the quality, is that good?

And what's the "bad" for Skylar? Sprint, and oh yes, Nike, which is just what the Jordan Brand is. Oh, and then there are the headbands -- certainly evil.

"She sounds greedy and without principle." Sort of like Michael Jordan and every other sports star who's made tons of money from endorsements. But Maya Moore is above reproach for working with Nike, while Diggins is the epitome of selfishness for doing the same ...

Please ...

PostPosted: 12/14/14 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It does not over shadow her talent, she was a fantastic high school and college player (easily top 3) and is turning into a fantastic wnba player as well. Laughing

Beemer wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
This is just another of many RebKell threads full of "Diggins envy" posts.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell, yep.

So-called basketball fans want to shoot down someone who is doing really well for themself.
I have no idea why.

I certainly don't hate her.

I do believe she gets more exposure than her play in college or the WNBA warrants.

It happens that way sometimes. Some athletes are blessed with looks & charisma to go along with their talent and in some cases overshadowing their talent.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/14/14 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
SCook wrote:
No one said Diggins didn't have WNBA championship goals. I pointed out what she said in an interview.

Oh, it looked like you were suggesting she didn't have that goal.

Quote:
She wants to be known beyond BB. She said this. BG specifically said she wanted to help the WNBA. Cause let's be honest, BG could have taken her ass to the NBA ( success or not) and would be at Celebrity status. And if she was just as amazing there, she'd have endorsements out the ass, just like the LB's and KD's. Plus she'd go to any award show that she was invited to because she wouldn't have to go overseas the remainder of the year (Despite BG feeling that going overseas helps her with her skills).

I don't see where Brittney Griner has the athleticism to make an NBA D-league team, let alone be amazing in the NBA. Mark Cuban could have drafted her and told them not to cut her, but I think once she got into the game the idea would have been exposed as a publicity stunt. But until she plays with men (maybe scrimmage with the Suns), it is all conjecture. Although Griner does have NBA reach. LeBron James is listed 6'8" (combine height 6'7 1/4") and has a combine wingspan of 7' 1/4 ". Griner is listed 6'8" and has a published wingspan of 7'4".

But if Brittney Griner can play in the NBA, I think she should do it, but only for a few years, and then come back and play in the WNBA for the duration of her career. That would be great publicity for the league.

I actually like Griner, but she wouldn't make it through a week of training camp and there is zero chance she would ever play in an NBA game. She's not remotely competitive. There are guards in the NBA bigger than she is.

That doesn't diminish at all that she is the most important player in WBB.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/15/14 12:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Most important player, as in MVP?

How can you dare say Diggins isn't the most important player in wbb, especially in this thread. Are you one of those hordes of Diggins haters I've been hearing about?

This is what you do, Art, and it's the sorta how hyperetic started this thread. You take one of your favorite players and make hyperbolic comparisons to other players that are rarely backed up, and you claim that somehow these other players don't measure up. And then when the inevitable reality checks come in, you claim these people are just haters, even if they're supporters outside threads like this one.

Hyperetic probably meant well when he started this thread. He was excited about a new photo shoot, the video of Diggins teaching us how to shoot layups, and Diggins even got her picture taken with Mo'ne Davis! Why isn't Maya doing all of this? Why is she missing the boat?

Well it's clumsy and awkward because apparently the Pepsi gig got overlooked. Is there a bigger endorsement out there? Jordan Brands got overlooked. The gold medals got overlooked. Hard to argue that getting a gold medal really increases your visibility. Apparently being the most famous and accomplished women's basketball player in the Chinese league isn't important either. Who's got more money than China? You don't have to worry about Maya....trust me. And if the future of the league is in Maya's hands, that means you don't have to worry about the league either. Maya's the Oprah of the league. One person is Oprah and another is Nicki Minaj. It's not wrong to be either one. It all depends on what's your niche.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 12/15/14 12:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now let this be a lesson to anyone who wants to start a Skylar Diggins thread, you have been warned. Laughing

PostPosted: 12/15/14 12:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

How can you dare say Diggins isn't the most important player in wbb, especially in this thread. Are you one of those hordes of Diggins haters I've been hearing about?

This is what you do, Art, and it's the sorta how hyperetic started this thread. You take one of your favorite players and make hyperbolic comparisons to other players that are rarely backed up, and you claim that somehow these other players don't measure up. And then when the inevitable reality checks come in, you claim these people are just haters, even if they're supporters outside threads like this one.

Hyperetic probably meant well when he started this thread. He was excited about a new photo shoot, the video of Diggins teaching us how to shoot layups, and Diggins even got her picture taken with Mo'ne Davis! Why isn't Maya doing all of this? Why is she missing the boat?

Well it's clumsy and awkward because apparently the Pepsi gig got overlooked. Is there a bigger endorsement out there? Jordan Brands got overlooked. The gold medals got overlooked. Hard to argue that getting a gold medal really increases your visibility. Apparently being the most famous and accomplished women's basketball player in the Chinese league isn't important either. Who's got more money than China? You don't have to worry about Maya....trust me. And if the future of the league is in Maya's hands, that means you don't have to worry about the league either. Maya's the Oprah of the league. One person is Oprah and another is Nicki Minaj. It's not wrong to be either one. It all depends on what's your niche.

My good man (sorry, assuming. I know the gender of very few here), you are making assumptions about my intentions and even after reading my specific explanation you still try to mold my post into your assumption. Seriously, one more time, this thread is about earning potential of WNBA players. It would be hard to discuss that without bringing up the names of specific players. Diggins happens to be one, IMO, that is making inroads in diversifying her income. I chose Maya because I am a fan and would like to see her earning potential grow exponentially because I think she deserves it as well as many other players. I may not be privy to all of her financial dealings. She may be doing a helluva lot better than I know. As I stated a couple of times in this thread, this is my OPINION. We all have them, don't we, Shades? For me, this wasn't about loving or hating a specific player, just a simple discussion about the possible financial opportunities available to our beloved ladies in the league that they may or may not have tapped into yet. Goodness gracious....

Last edited by hyperetic on 12/15/14 8:49 am; edited 5 times in total
hyperetic

PostPosted: 12/15/14 12:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Now let this be a lesson to anyone who wants to start a Skylar Diggins thread, you have been warned. Laughing

Its not a Skylar Diggins thread. Its an earnings potential thread that had her name in it. But that's all it takes it seems.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/15/14 1:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I have no idea what this bizarre rant is all about ^^^^^

Where the hell did I say anything about Maya Moore?

In my view Britney Griner is the most dominant and most important player in the league. MVP has nothing to do with it. For most of his 20 years Kareem was the most dominant player in the NBA. He didn't win 20 MVPs. Jordan was the most dominant and important player for at least a decade; he didn't win 10 MVPs.

Griner's not my favorite player. She's not the most skilled player. But her combination of skill and size makes her the most dominant and important player in the league. I have no idea why that reality sends you into such a frenzy.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 12/15/14 1:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

Its not a Skylar Diggins thread. Its an earnings potential thread that had her name in it. But that's all it takes it seems.

I know, just sarcasm.

PostPosted: 12/15/14 1:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

I know, just sarcasm.

Sorry, I was a bit hasty.
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 12/15/14 2:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

I know, just sarcasm.

Sorry, I was a bit hasty.

You have a right to be. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: