RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Hamson has Cougs in another Sweet 16

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 12/12/14 10:25 am    ::: Hamson has Cougs in another Sweet 16 Reply Reply with quote

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/1936798-155/byu-volleyball-hard-working-jennifer-hamson-has

Quote:
BYU vs. Florida State
Regional Semifinals

at Alaskan Airlines Arena, Seattle

When » Friday, 5 p.m.

TV » ESPN3

FS02

PostPosted: 12/12/14 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BYU is Now in the elite-8 after knocking off #6 overall seed FSU here in Seattle. Hamson is a beast!

PostPosted: 12/12/14 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BYU volleyball: Cougars beat Florida State in Sweet 16 match
Big hitter has 30 kills as Cougars reach Elite Eight

Quote:
SEATTLE • In the end, it was Jennifer Hamson.

bullsky

PostPosted: 12/13/14 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hamson is a way better volleyball player than she is a basketball player.

PostPosted: 12/14/14 1:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22

PostPosted: 12/14/14 1:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:

but she could make way more money playing basketball, since she could technically play two seasons a year, one in the W and the other in Europe.

tfan

PostPosted: 12/14/14 6:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BYU (#12 coaches poll, #17 RPI) is in the Final Four and will play Texas (#6 coaches poll, #2 RPI). On the other side Stanford (#1 coaches poll, #1 RPI) plays Penn State (#4 coaches, #9 RPI).

bullsky

PostPosted: 12/14/14 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
bullsky wrote:

but she could make way more money playing basketball, since she could technically play two seasons a year, one in the W and the other in Europe.

Meh, you can make decent money in Europe and Asia for volleyball too. It's probably less, but not considerably less. I think she's more fit for volleyball, personally...

PostPosted: 12/14/14 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
bullsky wrote:

Meh, you can make decent money in Europe and Asia for volleyball too. It's probably less, but not considerably less. I think she's more fit for volleyball, personally...

She couldnt play two seasons in the same year for volleyball though. and she's good but not quite explosive.

blaase22

PostPosted: 12/18/14 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okay she is playing phenomenal so far in the semifinals.

tfan

PostPosted: 12/18/14 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BYU in the finals to face Penn State. Stanford had a 6'8" middle blocker who we won't get to see face Hamson. Penn State has become more dominant in women's volleyball than UConn is in women's basketball.

BYU started a freshman setter for the first time in the regional finals and the final four semi-finals (although she had set 21% of their combined sets during the season) . That was not due to injury, just a switch by the coach.

Last edited by tfan on 12/19/14 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
GEF34

PostPosted: 12/19/14 7:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
bullsky wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
bullsky wrote:

She couldnt play two seasons in the same year for volleyball though. and she's good but not quite explosive.

I think it will all depend on if she wants to try to play for USA volleyball, if she doesn't think she has a shot, doesn't get invited, or something else happens where she doesn't get a shot, I think she will give the WNBA a shot in 2015, but with volleyball being her first love, I think if she gets invited to some USA volleyball tryout she will go.

It would be interesting to see her try to do both, but I don't see it happening because of the demands at the pro level being much different than in college, and of course teams probably aren't going to be as willing to work with each other as the BYU teams were.

blaase22

PostPosted: 12/19/14 8:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
BYU in the finals to face Penn State. Stanford had a 6'8" middle blocker who we won't get to see face Hamson. Penn State has become more dominant in women's volleyball than UConn is in women's basketball.

BYU started a freshman setter for the first time in the regional finals and the final four semi-finals (although she had set 21% of their combined sets) . That was not due to injury, just a switch by the coach.

Stanford's 6' 8 middle was so slow, it really hurt them. PSU's middles were just too fast for her.

bullsky

PostPosted: 12/19/14 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
bullsky wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
bullsky wrote:

I think it will all depend on if she wants to try to play for USA volleyball, if she doesn't think she has a shot, doesn't get invited, or something else happens where she doesn't get a shot, I think she will give the WNBA a shot in 2015, but with volleyball being her first love, I think if she gets invited to some USA volleyball tryout she will go.

It would be interesting to see her try to do both, but I don't see it happening because of the demands at the pro level being much different than in college, and of course teams probably aren't going to be as willing to work with each other as the BYU teams were.

Hamson has already been invited to the Team USA camp in January and will be there.

PostPosted: 12/19/14 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You cannot read this information in the papers. Thanks for everyone keeping us informed.

GEF34

PostPosted: 12/20/14 1:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
bullsky wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
bullsky wrote:

Hamson has already been invited to the Team USA camp in January and will be there.

Thanks, I thought she would because she played with USA volleyball last summer and is coming off a great college season, but I didn't know if she was or not.

toad455

PostPosted: 12/21/14 12:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FYI, Penn St. defeated BYO 3-0 in the championship match.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
tfan

PostPosted: 12/21/14 3:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Penn State was defending champion. Not sure how many seniors they lost but they started two freshman - the #1 recruit in the country and the #2 recruit in the country (who ended up National Freshman of the Year). I don't think WBB UConn gets #1 and #2 in the same year, save maybe the Sue Bird, Swin Cash, Tamika Williams, Asjha Jones recruiting class.

SouthernFan

PostPosted: 12/21/14 8:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
toad455 wrote:

I don't think WBB UConn gets #1 and #2 in the same year, save maybe the Sue Bird, Swin Cash, Tamika Williams, Asjha Jones recruiting class.

They did so recently. According to ESPN Hoopgurlz, in 2012 Uconn brought in #1 prospect Breanna Stewart and #2 prospect Moriah Jefferson.

awhom111

PostPosted: 12/22/14 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My hope is that some enterprising multi-sport club tries to bring her in to play both professionally.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: