RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

No indictment for cop in NY strangling
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/05/14 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fans of hannity, et al, really should be shipped off to live on that big-ass garbage island floating around the pacific.

PostPosted: 12/05/14 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think one possible thing that may have gone wrong in that arrest was that the smaller men WERE afraid/intimidated of the larger man and were overzealous in their attempt to subdue him. There were FIVE officers on scene, one fairly close to Garner's size very quickly after he hit the ground. At that point, the chokehold officer should have released the choke and helped with the handcuffing. If he had, there's a good possibility that we wouldn't be having to discuss a dead Garner. Its also interesting to note, that the bystander who filmed the video was arrested and charged with gun possession. They say he tried to pass it to another bystander. Hmmm...
mercfan3

PostPosted: 12/05/14 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've walked out of two "lectures" (Well, one was church) in my past.

In law school, I made it through half a lecture from a police officer. He talked about how he racially profiled. He didn't think there was anything wrong with it. And it was clear that he did so because of his thoughts towards black people.

Which was just crazy to me. Like, even the most racist people I know (and you can tell) at least know racism is bad.

And I think there are a lot of problems in our society with a lot of different oppressed groups. But as much as this country's feelings on race need to be addressed, I'm honestly going to go a little further and say I think there's a culture in police officers that need to be addressed.

Also..Jon Stewart on point, once again.

PostPosted: 12/06/14 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PQuwfv-aT_4?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PQuwfv-aT_4

TonyL222

PostPosted: 12/06/14 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
I think one possible thing that may have gone wrong in that arrest was that the smaller men WERE afraid/intimidated of the larger man and were overzealous in their attempt to subdue him. There were FIVE officers on scene, one fairly close to Garner's size very quickly after he hit the ground. At that point, the chokehold officer should have released the choke and helped with the handcuffing. If he had, there's a good possibility that we wouldn't be having to discuss a dead Garner. Its also interesting to note, that the bystander who filmed the video was arrested and charged with gun possession. They say he tried to pass it to another bystander. Hmmm...

So my question remains. WHY was there a need to take this man down in the first place? He was not threatening anyone. He had not committed and violent crime. He was not threatening the police. His offense was selling loose cigarettes. We arrest people FOR THAT??!!! This sounds like a citation to me. What purpose is served arresting someone for this offense?

hyperetic

PostPosted: 12/07/14 4:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
So my question remains. WHY was there a need to take this man down in the first place? He was not threatening anyone. He had not committed and violent crime. He was not threatening the police. His offense was selling loose cigarettes. We arrest people FOR THAT??!!! This sounds like a citation to me. What purpose is served arresting someone for this offense?

No argument with that at all. I agree. I was just dealing with the life/death struggle part.
Howee

PostPosted: 12/07/14 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Leonard Pitts, Jr. does a bang-up job on illustrating the concept of "White Privilege" for the hard-of-head (i.e., Bill O'Reilly). Cool

PostPosted: 12/08/14 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Leonard Pitts, Jr. does a bang-up job on illustrating the concept of "White Privilege" for the hard-of-head (i.e., Bill O'Reilly). Cool

Yup. Pretty basic concept (reality).

PostPosted: 12/09/14 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In LA right now there is a discussion on the County Board of Supervisors at this very hour about appointing a civilian oversight board for the LA County Sheriffs. Protesters outside, etc. This was voted down last year but with two new members supporting it there is hope that it may pass this time. I'll keep you all posted.

"We are encouraged that this new board is moving forward and has the political will to shift the course where the previous board fell short." - Jaz Wade "Dignity & Power Now"

PostPosted: 12/09/14 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Howee wrote:

Yup. Pretty basic concept (reality).

It's a nice encapsulation, although it would have been even better if he'd mentioned that there are literally dozens of videos online from the last year or so showing encounters between white guys with scary - real - guns exercising their open carry rights when the police are called and ending up merely having a brief conversation with the responding officers, and no equivalent videos of the white guys getting shot within 2 seconds of the police arriving. (I've been using that point in discussions with people who don't get why the Jamir Rice killing is so horrible.)

Somewhat relatedly, I've heard people say the police have to be aggressive (sometimes they say "careful") in situations like the Jamir Rice case because of the potential for a spree killing. First, that would apply at least as clearly to all of the open-carry-while-white incidents. Second, as it happens, the people who engage in those sorts of killings tend to be white - over the last 30 years, 52 whites have been the perpetrators in such events, slighty more than twice as many as all other ethnicities combined. (Blacks have been responsible for 10 incidents, almost exactly the percentage you'd expect based on their percentage of the population.)

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 12/09/14 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://50lux.com/2014/12/09/excessive-force/

PostPosted: 12/09/14 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://50lux.com/2014/12/09/excessive-force/

PostPosted: 12/09/14 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LA TIMES: Los Angeles County supervisors voted Tuesday to set up a civilian oversight commission to oversee the Sheriffs Department, marking a major milestone for the troubled law enforcement agency.

Advocates of the move have long called for such a panel to oversee a department that has been beset in recent years by allegations of widespread abuses in the jails.

A divided board voted down a similar proposal in August, with then-Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky casting the swing vote against the proposal.

But with Yaroslavsky termed out of office last week, his successor, Sheila Kuehl, voted with the 3-2 majority in favor of the civilian oversight panel.

Kuehl, along with supervisors Mark Ridley-Thomas and Hilda Solis, said a civilian commission would help monitor and restore public trust in the department. They said the move is particularly important in light of the growing national controversy about police practices stemming from incidents in Ferguson, Mo., and elsewhere. Ridley-Thomas said there should be a "clear signal from the largest county in the nation with respect to reform."

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-sheriff-oversight-20141209-story.html

PostPosted: 07/16/19 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Eric Garner’s Death Will Not Lead to Federal Charges for N.Y.P.D. Officer

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/16/nyregion/eric-garner-case-death-daniel-pantaleo.html

Quote:
The Justice Department will not bring federal charges against a New York City police officer in the death of Eric Garner, ending a yearslong inquiry into a case that sharply divided officials and prompted national protests over excessive force by the police

PostPosted: 07/16/19 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

naturally.

PostPosted: 08/19/19 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYPD fires Officer Daniel Pantaleo for chokehold in Eric Garner's death

Quote:
Daniel Pantaleo, the New York City police officer seen on video using a chokehold during Eric Garner's deadly arrest five years ago, sparking mass protests, was fired by the department, the police commissioner said Monday.

An administrative judge this month recommended that Pantaleo be terminated over the July 17, 2014, confrontation as Garner was being arrested on Staten Island for selling loose, untaxed cigarettes.

Pantaleo, who has been with the NYPD since 2006, was suspended as soon as that departmental verdict was reached, in keeping with long-standing practice when there is a recommendation for firing. The 13-year veteran had been on desk duty as his case made its way through legal and administrative circles.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nypd-fires-officer-daniel-pantaleo-chokehold-eric-garner-s-death-n1041336

PostPosted: 08/25/19 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

'The Job Is Dead': NYPD Officers Seethe In Wake Of Pantaleo Firing

https://gothamist.com/2019/08/22/job_is_dead_nypd_cops_pantaleo.php

Quote:
On Wednesday, the NYPD revealed that the sergeant who supervised Garner's arrest would avoid a disciplinary trial by pleading guilty to the charge of failure to supervise, with the punishment of losing 20 vacation days. The ten other officers involved in the arrest will not face discipline, according to the city, including Pantaleo's partner, Justin Damico, who initially claimed that Garner was trafficking enough cigarettes to be charged with a felony, and told investigators that force was not used in the arrest.

PostPosted: 08/25/19 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fuck them, too.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: