RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Former D.C. mayor Marion Barry dies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StevenHW

PostPosted: 11/23/14 3:33 am    ::: Former D.C. mayor Marion Barry dies Reply Reply with quote

...at age 78.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/23/us/marion-barry-death/index.html

PostPosted: 11/23/14 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Despite his transgressions (He was the rob ford of his day) He actually was a good mayor in one of the weirdest places to govern in the world (Not a state, not a territory but more power than a city or town and has to report straight to the federal government) There was a reason they let him back in despite his issues.

But it did lead to one of the best song lines in music history

"If you were on the job and caught smoking crack, McDonalds wouldn't even wanna take you back...but you can ALWAYS run for Mayor of DC" Good Charlotte Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 11/23/14 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you get a chance, watch the HBO documentary, "The Nine Lives of Marian Barry." Puts his entire legacy (not just his latter year foolishness) into perspective. He was a good man - maybe even a great man - that lost himself.

beknighted

PostPosted: 11/23/14 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barry was unique. Whatever you thought of his personal life, and the way he lost control of his administration, he always was focused on what he'd probably have called poor folks. One reason he got his last term as mayor and that he essentially was going to serve on the D.C. Council until he died was that he was about the only politician in D.C. who the people in Ward 8 felt cared about them.

I know the guy who was his lawyer for a long time, and he naturally had a lot of Barry stories. The one I particularly remember, though, was a time he told me that he'd told Barry to keep out of trouble for a while because he needed to make a living - he was doing work for Barry but not getting paid because Barry never really had enough money to afford a good lawyer.

HistoryWomensBasketball

PostPosted: 11/23/14 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

one of our department heads was a very arrogant man who did get a lot done but treated everyone like we were his servants. in fact some of the women were expected to serve up a bit extra. the guy got his ass canned. there was the joke the only person that would hire him was Barry.

6 months later he was down in dc working for him.

there are some people who can do some great things in their professional life but just cant get their own lives straight.

www.barnstormingamerica.net
CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 11/24/14 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
He was a good man - maybe even a great man - that lost himself.

Tony, I think that's one good way of putting it.

It's important for people (particularly younger folks who may not actually remember this) to know that Barry came out of the civil rights movement. His politics were great (he was an early leader on gay rights, for example) and in his first years as Mayor, he was really terrific. And I agree with Beknighted, he was one of the few politicians who seemed to truly care about the poorest of the poor.

Sadly, he really did go astray, and some of his most recent issues, as well as his alignment with anti-gay-ministers, were quite off-putting.

So I will remember a very complex man and be thankful for the good that he was able to do, and be sad that he lost his way.

TonyL222

PostPosted: 11/24/14 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:

So I will remember a very complex man and be thankful for the good that he was able to do, and be sad that he lost his way.

Well said.

From a post on Facebook:

Dear TMZ. Yes, MAYOR MARION BARRY was OUR CRACK MAYOR:
1. He CRACKED institutional racism.
2. He CRACKED the doors of opportunities for the poor.
3. He CRACKED budgets to employ DC's youths and provided summer employment.
4. He CRACKED benefits for seniors.
5. He CRACKED into housing opportunities, specifically home-buying assistance for the working-class.
6. He CRACKED the ceiling of opportunity for African Americans in thousands of middle- and upper-level management positions in the city government, that in previous generations had been reserved for whites.
7. He CRACKED diversity in DC and made it more inclusive for all people.
8. He CRACKED into hundreds of millions of tax dollars, that provided job training and employment programs, senior centers and social-welfare endeavors.
9. He CRACKED into budgets that provided DC's high school seniors full scholarships to selected colleges and universities
10. In these cases, he is our CRACK MAYOR!!!
Signed... Dr. Antonio L. Ellis

But I can't deny that he lost his way

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: