RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Official Skylar Diggins 2015 off season thread!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
caune

PostPosted: 11/12/14 7:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
larmarch5 wrote:
Is there a better ambassador for growing fans of the WNBA than Skylar Diggins?

The basketball talent and team leadership during practice and on the floor are important, but really key to people who are already WNBA fans. The league must have players that are willing to get out there into the spotlight off the court. And that takes another kind of talent. Many players are just too shy to do that and they choose agents that don't push them to do all the publicity and marketing. I say "Skylar Diggins is a star player AND she's a celebrity", not "Skylar Diggins is a star player BUT she's a celebrity."

I think Skylar is tops at that. Candace Parker, Catch, Shoni, the Ogwumike sisters, BG, EDD are out there as well, sharing more of themselves with the public.

By the way, which WNBA player do y'all think has the best twitter account? I find Mistie Bass, Chiney and Nneka Ogwumike, Angel McCoughtry, and Glory Johnson provide the most insight into their experiences. These accounts provide quite a distinction between playing in the south of France and Russia.

Mike Wilbon once said on PTI that basketball was a personality driven sport. What's always annoyed me with the W is that there ARE big personalities in the women's game, but unless those players introduce themselves, the league doesn't know how to get the less obvious players out there.

Maybe, it's an unfair statement because of course the players must be willing. But, unlike the NBA, promoting the W must be all hands on deck. No one in the league should be comfortable with just sitting back, and letting a handful of players do the heavy lifting when it comes to promotion or publicity.

But how do they get the personalities out there? Commercials? Billboards? Scandal? How?

PostPosted: 11/12/14 8:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:

Mike Wilbon once said on PTI that basketball was a personality driven sport. What's always annoyed me with the W is that there ARE big personalities in the women's game, but unless those players introduce themselves, the league doesn't know how to get the less obvious players out there.

Maybe, it's an unfair statement because of course the players must be willing. But, unlike the NBA, promoting the W must be all hands on deck. No one in the league should be comfortable with just sitting back, and letting a handful of players do the heavy lifting when it comes to promotion or publicity.

Whose gonna get everyone else on board, spread the word so to speak?

They have to WANT to or be incentivized to. The W has too many star players who leave the arena and go home and hide out.

That's their choice. I'm not sure they have a duty to do more if they choose not to, although it would be better for the league if they did.

Maybe the owners need to cough up some of their own cash to give some of those players personal services contracts and pay them to do promotional work.

Realistically I think there is a serious limit to how popular a basketball league playing 34 games in the middle of summer, the majority of whose players are gone from the US much of the rest of the year (and especially during basketball season) is ever going to be.

It's still hilarious that some people here rip those few players who actually make an effort at promotion for suceeding in getting attention.

caune

PostPosted: 11/12/14 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:

They have to WANT to or be incentivized to. The W has too many star players who leave the arena and go home and hide out.

That's their choice. I'm not sure they have a duty to do more if they choose not to, although it would be better for the league if they did.

Maybe the owners need to cough up some of their own cash to give some of those players personal services contracts and pay them to do promotional work.

Realistically I think there is a serious limit to how popular a basketball league playing 34 games in the middle of summer, the majority of whose players are gone from the US much of the rest of the year (and especially during basketball season) is ever going to be.

It's still hilarious that some people here rip those few players who actually make an effort at promotion for suceeding in getting attention.

The players have in their contracts a certain amount of appearances they must make. BUT the press doesn't cover them because, so what, it's some female player appearing at a grocery store or school?

I will not blame the players for this. yes they go home after the games because what else should they do? Go to bars and schmoze, that isn't exposure you want. Talk shows, except some local sports talk, don;t care so they don't go on Ellen, or GMA or national shows. Here in Phoenix we have had players get up at the crack of dawn to be on TV, or stay up for an 11 pm Sunday night talk show. They are getting themselves out there, but it's all local.

PostPosted: 11/12/14 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:

The players have in their contracts a certain amount of appearances they must make. BUT the press doesn't cover them because, so what, it's some female player appearing at a grocery store or school?

I will not blame the players for this. yes they go home after the games because what else should they do? Go to bars and schmoze, that isn't exposure you want. Talk shows, except some local sports talk, don;t care so they don't go on Ellen, or GMA or national shows. Here in Phoenix we have had players get up at the crack of dawn to be on TV, or stay up for an 11 pm Sunday night talk show. They are getting themselves out there, but it's all local.

Not buying it.

This whole thread is about a player who works her ass off to get exposure, and succeeds at it. So it can be done. But it requires a plan and a LOT of effort.

And then some people criticize her for her success as if she didn't work for it or earn it or doesn't deserve it.

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/12/14 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skylar Diggins is an extremely attractive young woman with great skill who played at a high-profile university -- how many other players fit that description?

She's also willing to put herself in the public eye, which many WNBA players are not (in great part, I think, because many don't want to come out in public, which is of course their right).

What's interesting is the "nail-that-sticks-up-gets-hammered-down" attitude that Diggins' has evoked, and I've heard it said by women that this happens too often to successful females, with the criticism coming more from other women than men. (I'd be interested to know if others here feel this is accurate ...)

But of course, no one really cares that much about female basketball players, just as they are uninterested in most minor sport athletes. (How many beach volleyball players can you name? Or how many boxers? Or jockeys?)

In the end, to reprise my constant refrain, the product on the floor will determine how much coverage the WNBA gets. A Skylar Diggins' fan may decide to watch a WNBA game or two, but if the game doesn't excite him, he won't watch any more. If it does, then he'll watch more and get interested in other players.

PostPosted: 11/12/14 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
larmarch5 wrote:
Is there a better ambassador for growing fans of the WNBA than Skylar Diggins?

The basketball talent and team leadership during practice and on the floor are important, but really key to people who are already WNBA fans. The league must have players that are willing to get out there into the spotlight off the court. And that takes another kind of talent. Many players are just too shy to do that and they choose agents that don't push them to do all the publicity and marketing. I say "Skylar Diggins is a star player AND she's a celebrity", not "Skylar Diggins is a star player BUT she's a celebrity."

I think Skylar is tops at that. Candace Parker, Catch, Shoni, the Ogwumike sisters, BG, EDD are out there as well, sharing more of themselves with the public.

By the way, which WNBA player do y'all think has the best twitter account? I find Mistie Bass, Chiney and Nneka Ogwumike, Angel McCoughtry, and Glory Johnson provide the most insight into their experiences. These accounts provide quite a distinction between playing in the south of France and Russia.

But how do they get the personalities out there? Commercials? Billboards? Scandal? How?

Hmm scandal sounds intriguing. Maybe a show like the wwe Divas on E channel. But even that's so scripted it's obvious. I just need to know which team to turn the cameras on. Wink

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/12/14 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

many don't want to come out in public, which is of course their right

True

ClayK wrote:

What's interesting is the "nail-that-sticks-up-gets-hammered-down" attitude that Diggins' has evoked, and I've heard it said by women that this happens too often to successful females, with the criticism coming more from other women than men. (I'd be interested to know if others here feel this is accurate ...)

Also True
And you can apply this to Schimmel and Griner as well.
Quite amazing how many haters each has, even on a forum of people who purport to be interested in the growth and success of WBB.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 12/02/14 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SkylarScholar:

Diggy has joined forces with Roc Nation to recognize amazing young people. She will acknowledge their success, hard work and achievement.

You can nominate them by going to her website: officialskylardiggins.com

They have a form to be downloaded and filled out. You will then have to email it to SkylarScholar@rocnation.com
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 12/02/14 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
And you can apply this to Schimmel and Griner as well.
Quite amazing how many haters each has, even on a forum of people who purport to be interested in the growth and success of WBB.

Well what do you know, I actually agree with you. Shocked

PostPosted: 12/04/14 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.stack.com/2014/12/04/skylar-diggins-wnba/

Quote:
As a smaller point guard who darts to the hole, weaving in and out of traffic, Diggins realized that her frame was not strong enough to deal with the physicality of the professional game. So she spent almost every day in the gym training her core strength and balance.

PostPosted: 12/04/14 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

one thing i learned from the stack.com interview...this year's finals had nearly 700k viewers? 91%increase. nice. let's double that next year Wink

hyperetic

PostPosted: 12/05/14 12:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
http://www.stack.com/2014/12/04/skylar-diggins-wnba/

Quote:
As a smaller point guard who darts to the hole, weaving in and out of traffic, Diggins realized that her frame was not strong enough to deal with the physicality of the professional game. So she spent almost every day in the gym training her core strength and balance.

That's the way to do it. Honest assessment and correction of weaknesses.
chadb

PostPosted: 12/05/14 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nothing but credit to Sky. She identified her weaknesses and worked on them. And it worked. We will see if she works a bit more on that outside shot this offseason now that she seems to be a much physically stronger player.

petrel

PostPosted: 12/05/14 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Turkish Twitterers are reporting that Turkish club Galatasaray made an offer to Diggins, but she rejected it.

http://jwsbasketball.org/skylar-digginsten-galatasaraya-ret/

pilight

PostPosted: 12/05/14 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

petrel wrote:
Turkish Twitterers are reporting that Turkish club Galatasaray made an offer to Diggins, but she rejected it.

I don't know how she plans to globalize her brand...

PostPosted: 12/05/14 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
petrel wrote:

Not saying that Diggy is nowhere near a Lebron or Jordan level but I think is she continues on the business/merchandising/personal appearances/improved court performance trail that she's on, I think the globalization will come eventually.
hyperetic

PostPosted: 12/05/14 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Its a grown womans league, so I had to get a grown womans body.

http://www.stack.com/2014/12/04/skylar-diggins-wnba/?icn=navigation&ici=Navigation_Content

Thumbsup! Very Happy
SCook

PostPosted: 12/06/14 2:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
pilight wrote:
petrel wrote:

Not saying that Diggy is nowhere near a Lebron or Jordan level but I think is she continues on the business/merchandising/personal appearances/improved court performance trail that she's on, I think the globalization will come eventually.

Interesting. The world or should I say men, notice Diggins for her looks. Her face is what is her best marketing asset and she uses that to such perfection. Yes, she has skills on the court but a lot of people don't point that out. Here in America she is a celebrity BUT take BG, in China, or any setting she goes into she's THE BIG WOMAN literally but her skills and her dunking are what she's marketed with. Now in America, BG's bullying campaign and LGBT activism have given her a buzz as well but not a celebrity type of buzz.

So, If a Diggins never plays overseas, does her brand get a chance to be globalized? And If BG doesn't do the things that Diggins does, does she ever reach "celebrity" status?

PostPosted: 12/06/14 3:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
caune wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:

Not buying it.

This whole thread is about a player who works her ass off to get exposure, and succeeds at it. So it can be done. But it requires a plan and a LOT of effort.

And then some people criticize her for her success as if she didn't work for it or earn it or doesn't deserve it.

Hmm. Many players work to get exposure. Yes it can be done. But it's not. Why? Because every player doesn't want the exposure that Diggins gets and every player doesn't look like Skylar. That is KEY. I watched a video, ( not sure if it was a preview for the 2013 draft or not) where the topic was mainly about who could help market their team better. You put Skylar, EDD and BG in a line and BG gets picked last on a beauty scale BUT she goes first on a basketball scale. BG gets signed to Nike for being an openly gay athlete and yet, Nike hasn't thought to put her in an ad, or even use her to market an "LGBT" line of clothes, BUT Diggins is in every ad for their bra and etc. The criticism that comes with Diggins is that her face gets her success and it is true. Just like how BG's height and dunking ability get her recognized.

PostPosted: 12/06/14 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It seems unfair to me that Diggins is apparently getting blamed for:

1) Being very attractive
2) Working hard to build her media presence (which incidentally helps women's basketball)
3) Making money due to that work that other players don't

Sure, sometimes the hype has been greater than her production, but how many college players have come into the league with serious hype and failed to live up to it? And in many cases, doing much worse, compared to the hype, than Diggins?

The nail that sticks up gets hammered down, I guess ...

PostPosted: 12/06/14 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But any criticism she receives, even if justified, gets blown wildly out of proportion by the counter-reaction of the baying fanboys/girls. Same thing happens with Griner, among others.

On the 'globalisation' of her 'brand', it's going to be difficult to accomplish playing an essentially niche sport. You can count the number of women's basketball players who the average sportsfan around the world has heard of on zero hands.

PostPosted: 12/06/14 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

On the 'globalisation' of her 'brand', it's going to be difficult to accomplish playing an essentially niche sport. You can count the number of women's basketball players who the average sportsfan around the world has heard of on zero hands.

which is why most of nike's ad campaigns with skylar do not feature basketball, but fitness. and, with that recognition, she's had folks from several countries photo themselves in front of her posters and tweet them to her.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 12/06/14 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:

Hmm. Many players work to get exposure. Yes it can be done. But it's not. Why? Because every player doesn't want the exposure that Diggins gets and every player doesn't look like Skylar. That is KEY. I watched a video, ( not sure if it was a preview for the 2013 draft or not) where the topic was mainly about who could help market their team better. You put Skylar, EDD and BG in a line and BG gets picked last on a beauty scale BUT she goes first on a basketball scale. BG gets signed to Nike for being an openly gay athlete and yet, Nike hasn't thought to put her in an ad, or even use her to market an "LGBT" line of clothes, BUT Diggins is in every ad for their bra and etc. The criticism that comes with Diggins is that her face gets her success and it is true. Just like how BG's height and dunking ability get her recognized.

oh, SCook, put that sword down buddy. Laughing

I'm pretty sure BG wasn't "signed for being an openly gay athlete". Nike has her on their roster of athletes because at a minimum, she's damn good, and will have eyes on her when she plays, anything extra is a perk.

In the eyes of many BG is beautiful. There is no need to put her in a lineup. She seems be a happy and confident person... she doesn't need her superfans throwing subtle shade on her colleagues.

BG is signed with Wasserman Group, perhaps she should be with someone else. Durant has changed agencies 3 or 4 times since going pro to build his brand. If Britt wants it, she's smart enough to make the changes, and put the work in. Idea

SCook

PostPosted: 12/06/14 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
SCook wrote:

I'm pretty sure BG wasn't "signed for being an openly gay athlete". Nike has her on their roster of athletes because at a minimum, she's damn good, and will have eyes on her when she plays, anything extra is a perk.

In the eyes of many BG is beautiful. There is no need to put her in a lineup. She seems be a happy and confident person... she doesn't need her superfans throwing subtle shade on her colleagues.

BG is signed with Wasserman Group, perhaps she should be with someone else. Durant has changed agencies 3 or 4 times since going pro to build his brand. If Britt wants it, she's smart enough to make the changes, and put the work in. Idea

I was just pointing out what is said. I love Skylar. I think that she is doing what is best for her career and it's great because there are other girls who look up to her and follow their dreams because of her. But people make it seem like it's a hateful remark to say that Skylar has been very marketable because she's a pretty woman. BG is marketable with her endorsements is because she is an openly gay, Dunking, woman. Yes. BG is beautiful. But is she society's version if beatiful. The only negative I felt about Skylar was that she had hype and didn't live up to it. Her second she did and that's it.

PostPosted: 12/06/14 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
SCook wrote:

I was just pointing out what is said. I love Skylar. I think that she is doing what is best for her career and it's great because there are other girls who look up to her and follow their dreams because of her. But people make it seem like it's a hateful remark to say that Skylar has been very marketable because she's a pretty woman. BG is marketable with her endorsements is because she is an openly gay, Dunking, woman. Yes. BG is beautiful. But is she society's version if beatiful. The only negative I felt about Skylar was that she had hype and didn't live up to it. Her second she did and that's it.

Griner didn't live up to first year hype either. She didn't win Rookie of the Year. But second year she did.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: