RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Speaking of fashion...Project Runway?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smenko

PostPosted: 10/24/14 12:12 am    ::: Speaking of fashion...Project Runway? Reply Reply with quote

Did you all see the final? What did you think? Did the right person win?

sambista

PostPosted: 10/24/14 6:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i wondered why there was no thread.

i thought early on that kini would win handily, like when mondo was the clear favorite. before they announced, i thought it was between amanda and sean, and the actress (what's her name?) really nailed it: it was between someone who'd create a brand and someone who'd create something new and fresh. so i'd have been happy with either choice.

i also thought early on that sean wasn't as good as he seemed because kini was suggesting solutions and bailing him out on sewing, and it was precisely those times when sean would win the challenges. but after he went out on a limb with that brilliant, water-activated dress for the rainway . . . brilliant. and he really does have a way with fringe, which has come back and isn't quite gone. but no matter - some people love fringe regardless of its status.

i think both will do well. amanda will have her brand, and sean will do daring things. (why didn't he bring back that stunning white number for fashion week?!)

i didn't think char deserved to be at fashion week. the tim gunn save was okay, but she never really showed me anything inspired. probably her best work was whipping up that gorgeous, blue jersey number in the one-hour challenge, and that's what sank korina in the end - poor choices. that, and karmic payback for her petulance.

PostPosted: 10/24/14 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with your assessment bibb. The actress, I also do not remember her name, was in the movie "You Are Not You," portraying a person learning to handle her diagnosis of ALS. From what I understand it is a portrayal of Oscar-worthiness. But, she was well-spoken as a judge on Runway.

Char had a clear vision, with a workforce behind her, the sewing problems would be cleared up. I loved her choices of prints and color.

Kini, was a wonder to behold. I agree, he appeared to be the early leader but seemed to falter as the pressure increased.

Sean and Amanda were neck and neck. Sean's presentation told a dramatic story and was filled with interesting color changes as the strings dangled and flowed. Fringing was flaring everywhere and became mundane after a while.

Amanda's appeared rather drab next to Sean's drama. Even though I would love to wear Amanda's clothes--I thought Sean's whole ensemble smacked me right across the eyes. As opposed to Amanda's creations were variations of the same pattern over and over. Beautiful but the same. I loved the blue gown though.

This show was much better than previous episodes. I feel that as these competition-type shows play out Project Runway and Top chef are among the tops. Some of the other shows (Hell's Kitchen) leave me wondering how the contestants could have possibly passed boiling an egg.

I do hope they final four of this season's Project Runway move on to more success in the industry. After this, we don't hear much about the losers in these shows. And sometimes -- the winners as well.

sambista

PostPosted: 10/24/14 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yup, i agree with you. especially about project runway and top chef, another favorite of mine. i watch hell's kitchen, but i accept it for what it is, and they certainly seem to throw in a coupla unworthies just to give ramsay someone to yell at. top chef is the real deal.

ramsay is actually a pretty cool dude. i downloaded his cooking series, and he was just a sweetheart. and i've learned a LOT about taking simple ingredients and making them special in a short amount of time.

have you seen "threads"? i just learned about it last night because my downloads are usually without commercials. i also want to see the upcoming runway all-stars.

re the losers, i saw a couple of them some time ago on a show whose name i can't remember. it starred some guy who's big in the fashion world, and he'd set out to repair whatever was broken with these struggling designers, kind of like ramsay's "kitchen nightmares" or "bar rescue." (yeah, i watch 'em all.) anyway, i saw him take on two project runway losers who were still trying to get a foothold in the game. bottom line: both of them, most on that show, are too stubborn and won't listen. they'd rather have things their way and fail than compromise and succeed. which is fine, but don't ask someone for help if you don't want it, right?

PostPosted: 10/25/14 1:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Saw a marathon of season 4, today, the finale shows from those contestants completely outclassed the four from this season, It wasn't even close.

smenko

PostPosted: 10/26/14 12:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Threads? Not yet. I saw the advertisement for it but haven't followed up with it.

I agree there have been other seasons were the finalists put on quite a fashion show in comparison with this season's finale...but, remember they didn't have the extra time as other seasons were granted. I believe that made a difference in their outcome.

sambista

PostPosted: 10/27/14 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

watched the first epi of "threads." can't handle it. anxious kids working with their parents. one parent was so negative, you wonder how the kid got on the show. she spent the whole time talking about not knowing a thing about sewing, couldn't really help her son, please don't make me do this . . . at one point, she said something like, "i told him to fire me because this job doesn't pay that well." she just couldn't be bothered with her son's passion and his chance at winning $25,000 in prizes. pathetic. another kid just knew she was the sh*t, had traveled all around the world with her parents since she was 9, blah blah blah.

um, no.

PostPosted: 10/28/14 6:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't mind Sean winning, but was still pulling for Kini.

The actress who was a guest judge is Emmy Rossum. She is also on Shameless, one of my favorite shows. I liked her as a guest judge.

norwester

PostPosted: 10/28/14 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Emmy Rossum has guest-judged on other seasons, and I agree that she does a good job. Some Hollywood types come on and have a really good eye for what does and does not work, and you can tell they're hands on about that in their world. It adds an interesting perspective. Some seem to be at sea, but that amuses me in its own way.

I'm fine with Sean winning. I was pulling for Amanda, and was really impressed with how she handled herself this season, and the confidence she showed in her point of view, but I'll always support it if they go with the more artistic one versus the more commercial one (unlike that one year--the first on Lifetime, I think--when they didn't choose Mondo, and the resultant hue and cry basically forced them to come up with "PR: All Stars" so that he could win at project runway). And Sean's collection was certainly dramatic, with a strong story. I also felt that his clothes had more of a runway impact.

PostPosted: 10/30/14 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

smenko wrote:
Threads? Not yet. I saw the advertisement for it but haven't followed up with it.

I agree there have been other seasons were the finalists put on quite a fashion show in comparison with this season's finale...but, remember they didn't have the extra time as other seasons were granted. I believe that made a difference in their outcome.

I don't buy the time excuse, even the Project runway all stars, put out better stuff in their finale collections than Char and Kini and they only get 4 days.

smenko

PostPosted: 10/31/14 12:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
smenko wrote:

I don't buy the time excuse, even the Project runway all stars, put out better stuff in their finale collections than Char and Kini and they only get 4 days.

This is true blaase22, for some reason, I put the other time factors aside. But, now I barely had time to breath myself and lo and behold we're into All-Stars and my favorite "what will she come up with next that's craftily handmade" (my quotes) is gone. Loved her rebel yell!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: